FiOS Users?

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by MM, Oct 12, 2008.

1. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Wait till the box starts beeping at you and the WIFI signal starts going in and out...and then you notice that some of the HD stations aren't on your plan when they are CLEARLY available in SD and not pay stations!

That's when it's worth the money the most!

2. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

That doesn't make sense, Joe. HTV On Demand is cable-only and supplied by a company named iN DEMAND. It's owned by the Time Warner, Cox, and Comcast cable cos. It's not available on FiOS. I think you might have VOD (Video On Demand) where you can select certain movies, but not HTV.

3. MM

MM Administrator

You are correct. HTV is not on FiOS, yet.

4. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

no it isn't. More reason this service SUCKS.

5. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

I don't think it EVER will, MM. As far as I know, Verizon says there are no plans to ever carry HTV (or iN DEMAND stuff). Former digital cable subscribers have been calling Verizon about the loss of HTV after moving to Verizon FiOS. This is what Verizon has been telling these folks all along.

I think the real issue is that the owners of iN DEMAND (cable companies) are keeping this for themselves because it's a competitive edge.

Also, when HTV is advertised, they push "Only available on digital cable". (Yes, fiber optic technically IS digital cable, but that's not the message they are conveying.) It's also not been available on SAT/Dish.

6. MM

MM Administrator

Oren, I bet you're right.

I probably wouldn't get it anyway.

I pay enough for FiOS. :eek:mfg:

7. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I'm right here.

How much do you pay and what do you actually get, Michigan?

How much do you pay for FiOS? They've installed it here 6 months ago or so (it's Cablevision territory), and we're being bombarded with promotional deals (low prices for a year) and advertising. Both on TV AND in the mail.

8. MM

MM Administrator

They always have deals going around. These are not their best options.

I have:

1. High Speed Internet (20 MB up/20 MB down)

2. Home phone w/ voicemail, etc..

3. TV with all available HD channels (a 100+?), DVR Box, HD Box

I pay about $180 a month for all.

9. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

I have Cablevision..

High speed Internet, I don't remember the speed, but it IS fast, and I'm used to T1 lines.

Same thing with the phone, with about 20 free phone options.. call waiting, caller ID, voicemail, and on and on.. I don't use most of them.

And I have the HD-DVR box, etc. Maybe 300 real channels (it goes into the 800's, but tons are "music channels"/no video). We stick with maybe 15 or so favorite real chanels for the most part. I'm paying 119.82/month. (just checked my checkbook).

The promo period (29.95 for each service) is over next month, but I don't think it'll be too much higher in the long run.

I love it so far. HUGE savings. And in addition to that, I have TONS of benefits that I didn't have before. Just our phone bill (Verizon) was $70/month before (all fees and taxes) and we rarely used the phone, ever (we use email and the Internet mostly). The high monthly phone bill (always high) was basically to just maintain the land line.

10. MM

MM Administrator

I really didn't want to get a land line, but where I live now I get barely any AT&T wireless service.

I hadn't had a home phone in years.