FCC Extends Deadline For Sirius XM To Lease Channels

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by jwt873, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jwt873

jwt873 Member

I wonder what channels Sirius-XM will drop when they are eventually forced to lease the bandwidth?
    ------------------

Radio Ink - The Voice of Radio Revolution

2. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Hopefully it's Book radio, cosmo, and playboy

3. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

exactly

4. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

Hopefully they do not drop any good music channels.

5. secrecyguy

secrecyguy Member

This might actually be a good thing, I could see some radio stations to go after those channels so they can broadcast on satellites.

6. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

They would likey drop minority or public access channels (spanish channels, NPR, etc.).

8. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

They could also drop the Korean channel, or maybe some of the Canadian channels off of the US lineup.

9. IdRatherBeSkiing

Since they still need to provide the Canadian channels as a part of the bandwidth dropping them wouldn't do anything. Ironically the Korean channel is a Canadian channel.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. ctkatz

ctkatz Member

i say lease out some of the minority channels already on the service. i can think of the power on xm would be perfect for this.

11. GoodDog

GoodDog Well-Known Member

Traffic channels

12. secrecyguy

secrecyguy Member

What they should do is auction the channels out to radio stations. That way, they will be able to make some extra money from it. I am sure several radio stations will pay good money to have their radio stations to broadcast on the satellites.

13. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Why would a radio station want to lease out a channel on satellite? For the most part, radio stations are generic and most mainstream formats can be found in any given city.

Plus, as a condition of the merger, Sirius XM needs to lease out the spectrum to programmers who are going to provide service to "underserved minority" groups (whatever that means). They can't just lease the spectrum out to the highest bidder.

14. IdRatherBeSkiing

Sirius XM does not have any say in who the spectrum goes to. That control belongs to the FCC. I think the only control they would have is a channel number. I am not even entirely clear if Sirius XM gets paid for this spectrum.

15. Derek

Derek Member

The most niche music channels left. Candidates include:
    40s on 4, The Village, Bluegrass, SiriusXMU (but why on earth would they take away a rock channel?), The Groove, Broadway, Cinemagic, Area

16. nightowl

nightowl New Member

Get paid? Nope. They are being required to give that spectrum for underserved groups. Now, they might be able to not lose money on those channels, by having the programmer pay the uplink costs, but that would be about it.

17. jwt873

jwt873 Member

The deal was that they lease channel space. That implies that they will be paid for it.

An outfit called Georgetown Partners with the backing of Jesse Jackson brought up this lease idea during the merger negotiations.

They wanted as much as 20% of the combined Siri/XM spectrum. Their plan was to provide free channels (no subscription required) and to make money from advertising.

Whether Georgetown does get a lease or not remains to be seen. Many aspects of the merger remain unclear for subscribers and shareholders.

18. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

That's what I thought the deal was, but I seem to be outnumbered.
    A lease implies a payment or some other sort of compensation. It might have to be break-even sort of thing, but I never assumed it was a freebie.

19. VinnyM27

VinnyM27 Active Member

Unfortunately it won't be and I would imagine EVEN MORE music channels go on the chopping block! Playboy is shit and if we are paying for that, there is a problem! Isn't Playboy as a magazine not even doing so hot?

Getting rid of more music....you know that's what is going to happen!

20. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

As long as they don't give any spectrum to them and they only mess with the minority channels that are already in place, then I'm 100% OK with this.