Favorite David Poole moments

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Ive been wanting to do this since I heard about his death but could string enough time to put some good thought into it. Some of my favorite moments that I can remember now.

-The entire California 2008 debacle show. This was his finest 4 hours ever. He was on like 2 hours sleep because Nascar kept the race red flagged unil 1am eastern and needless he was not pleased. My favorite line was "From everything ive been able to gather, Gillian Zucker is about as qualified to stand at the front row of an airplane and wave BUH BYE to people."

-When he made reference to traffic at a race track. He said the traffic must have been put together by people from the local insane asylum, and then proceeded to make noises that insane people make.

-When you heard Sir, SIR, SIRRR you knew that caller was about to get torn a new one.

-The caller a few weeks ago that was yelling and screaming about Dale Jr at Texas and told David to go look at the video. That was the promo where David said, "Sir please stop your making yourself look like an idiot"

-When David said the switching of points in the top 35 was a bunch of bullsh**

By the way I heard the David/tire reference mentioned by Mike today. The montage that I heard that in was on the show where Mike and Susie Q hosted.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
-The entire California 2008 debacle show. This was his finest 4 hours ever. He was on like 2 hours sleep because Nascar kept the race red flagged unil 1am eastern and needless he was not pleased. My favorite line was "From everything ive been able to gather, Gillian Zucker is about as qualified to stand at the front row of an airplane and wave BUH BYE to people."

That was some radio gold right there...:)

I also loved it when he talked about driving in or around Atlanta. If anyone has done this, they'd know it's just plain crazy...:shock:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Awesome thread....so many memories I can't recall them all!

The entire California 2008 debacle show.

That was classic!

When he and Marty did the show together they'd always have arguments that were incredible. I could hardly drive my truck when they really got going.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
How cool would it be for Mike and the gang to put together a "best-of-Poole" CD with the money going to Wessa Miller?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'll give a personal favorite...over the years I've emailed several host. David Poole was the only one to respond. More than once. And I still have them saved.

Seems a littly silly I guess, but it means a lot to me now.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I just want them to post up some more clips than the ones weve heard. If they cant do that then perhaps on youtube or facebook. I know its a lot of work but I think everyone would be so grateful.

On your topic of email, the last email I got from him was in reference to the 5 and 88 swapping crews and he replied back, "I don't doubt they've talked about doing any number of things." The next day he referenced my very email and response to that.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I was digging through the archives of my Inno last night, and found an old dramatic reading of Pink's "So What" absolute classic.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
Yes, when he and Snider would go at it, it would be a classic....."as usual, Marty, you couldn't be more wrong."

My favorite was last year, when someone called in to make his picks for a race and the person chose Dale Jr. as his darkhorse, and David told him Dale Jr. wasn't a darkhorse, and the caller started getting belligerent and said, "What are you? The king of the darkhorses?" David replied by saying, "Yes, I am" And the caller asks, "well who made you that?" and David says "I did".

Ruaidh

Oct 15, 2008
My favorite David moment was when he was referring to the woman who runs the California track.
He compared her to an airline stewardess. Ba Bye---Ba Bye!

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I don't know if I'd call it a "favorite" moment or not...but, my whole view of David changed after the show he announced "Penny's for Wessa" That moment kinda rounded him out for me...

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
I'll give a personal favorite...over the years I've emailed several host. David Poole was the only one to respond. More than once. And I still have them saved.

Seems a littly silly I guess, but it means a lot to me now.

like moody said, poole would reply back to almost every single email sent in. whether it was 1 word or a few words, the man would atleast acknowledge he read it.

johnbom

Oct 25, 2008
South Carolina
like moody said, poole would reply back to almost every single email sent in. whether it was 1 word or a few words, the man would atleast acknowledge he read it.

I e-mailed him last year when he did the dramatic read of Touch My Body. He took the time to e-mail me back -- I don't know why I kept that one, but that one will probably never get deleted.

Why? I don't know. I didn't know the man personally, but damn -- his loss has hit me hard.

Good2go

Feb 21, 2009
I once emailed asking if there was anywhere online where they kept The Rules. He copied and pasted the list into his reply. That one's a keeper.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Rules for TMD (Thank you to a lady in Portland, ME for posting these on Facebook)...:)

Rule No. 1
Fair is where you go to get funnel cakes.
Rule No. 2
History does not have reverse gear.
Rule No. 3
A fan’s expertise is not necessarily proportional to the length of time the fan claims to have been a fan.
Rule No. 4
Heat races should never be held at a track with more than 25,000 seats.
Rule No. 5
The “good old days” were not as good as you think they were. Not in racing and not in anything else.
Rule No. 6
People being paid like adults to be in racing should act like adults.
Rule No. 7
If your driver isn’t getting enough attention, he needs to pass more people.
Rule No. 8
At some point on every Friday’s show, the race picks will be tied.
Rule No. 9
Every married man has out-kicked his coverage.
Rule No. 10
Joe Walsh was right when he sang, “I can’t complain, but sometimes I still do.”
Rule No. 11
The Morning Drive peaked on Jan. 1, 2007, when Barney Hall brought it on the air. Everything else is measured against that.
Rule No. 12
Television is a pestilence, but pestilence can be part of a functioning ecosystem.
Rule No. 13
Any caller criticizing another caller for calling about a topic is by default calling about the very topic he doesn’t want people calling about.
Rule No. 14
E-mails are great and we’re proud to have them, but radio is better when you call.
Rule No. 15
In all instances where ice is used, crushed ice is imminently preferable.
Rule No. 16
Shannon Spake may appear on The Morning Drive at any time for any reason.
Rule 16(a): Rule 16 also applies to Jamie Little, Krista Voda and Shannon Wiseman.
Rule No. 17
Foo must be fought whenever and wherever foo can be found to be fought.
Rule No. 18
Any situation not specifically covered herein falls under the “You’ll have that in big time auto racing” doctrine.