Don't Call it the Sears Tower Any More - It's the Willis Tower?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The problem with naming towers, stadiums, etc. after businesses is .... the names change. Its the same principle of single artist channels. You can like a building and its name, get used to it, then some company drops a bucket of cash on somebodies desk and the name is changed.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The problem with naming towers, stadiums, etc. after businesses is .... the names change. Its the same principle of single artist channels. You can like a building and its name, get used to it, then some company drops a bucket of cash on somebodies desk and the name is changed.

It's the American way...:)

What would we do if someone hadn't have thought of renameing Jack Murphy Stadium, Qualcomm Park? Or Candlestick, 3Com Park?...:right:

They renamed the Skydome, The Rogers Center...:shock:

Someone even had the nerve of giving Playboy the naming rights to their mansion...:mad:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Or Candlestick, 3Com Park?...:right:

Don't you mean Monster Park? Actually, its back to Candlestick now and is supposed to stay that way.

But your point is still valid with Pacific Bell Park, er, I mean SBC Park, er, I mean AT&T Park...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm just saying that it's sad that a symbol of American achievement will be named after a foreign owned company.

Its just the next step. America 'outsourced' most of its manufacturing jobs to Mexico and China years ago. The next step is its symbols. Perhaps it will be Mt. Toyota instead of Mt. Rushmore. The Nissan Monument instead of the Lincon Monument. Lots of possibilities.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Its just the next step. America 'outsourced' most of its manufacturing jobs to Mexico and China years ago. The next step is its symbols. Perhaps it will be Mt. Toyota instead of Mt. Rushmore. The Nissan Monument instead of the Lincon Monument. Lots of possibilities.

I like the way you think. . . . Makes me want to throw myself into the Hynudai Canyon. . . .

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I'm actually amazed how many times the same thing can be sold.

I can hear it now...Welcome to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Hundai Halftime Report sponsored by Budweiser. And now up to the Monster.com broadcast booth and.....

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Quick quiz. Monster Park was named after:

A) Monster.com
B) Monster Cable
C) Monster Energy Drink

Answer: WGAS, it's Candlestick Park