Don't Call it the Sears Tower Any More - It's the Willis Tower?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
WTF?

How about this for a slice of "The Opportunity in America" and "What's Wrong with America" all at the same time.

The Sears will be renamed the Willis Tower after the England based insurance broker becomes the primary tenant.

Sears Tower: Sears Tower to become Willis Tower -- chicagotribune.com

It's kind of messed up to me that a foreign company is laying claim to an American icon.

Thoughts?

searstower.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
When was the last time you were in a Sears?

2 or 3 months ago. Should be back in a week or two. Gots to love the tool department.

The point is, that the Sears Tower is an American Icon, and it represented America's achievements and our place at the forefront of progress and prosperity. Now, the Willis Tower represents yet another area that we are failing as a country to take care of our own interests while the rest of the world swallows us up. The fact that there wasn't an American company just chomping at the bit to have that prestigious address, is a shame.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I don't care for the name change either... The Sears tower is an institution.

Sloane: "The city looks so peaceful from here."
Ferris: "Anything is peaceful from one thousand, three hundred, and fifty-three feet."
Cameron: "I think I see my dad."

ferris2.jpg

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio

Ferris: "Anything is peaceful from one thousand, three hundred, and fifty-three feet."

ferris2.jpg

Great flick!:bigclap:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

ferris2.jpg

AWESOME FLICK! Ad I can't help but quote that line every time I'm at the Sears Tower, in any skyscraper, high roof. . . . . or just about any place above ground floor with any kind of a view.

Great post.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
2 or 3 months ago. Should be back in a week or two. Gots to love the tool department.

Most of them closed in my neck of the woods back in the 90s. They made their bones as a mail order house on RFD. Amazon is the new Sears.

The point is, that the Sears Tower is an American Icon, and it represented America's achievements and our place at the forefront of progress and prosperity.

The 4th tallest building in the world, the 2nd tallest building in North America represented our place at the forefront of something? That's a weird way to represent that. I remember it mostly as a trivia question answer after 1973, since most Americans were more familiar with the Empire State building, and the Sears Tower didn't get near as much press.

Now, the Willis Tower represents yet another area that we are failing as a country to take care of our own interests while the rest of the world swallows us up. The fact that there wasn't an American company just chomping at the bit to have that prestigious address, is a shame.

Eh. It's not how tall your building is, it's what you do with it. Or something like that. Tall buildings are colossal wastes of money, which is why Sears sold it back in the 90s.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Skyscrapers were an American contribution to the world and the rest of the world was emulating us by building them. Now, not only are they building more, bigger towers than we are, but they are buying up ours.

It shows how we're losing ground in the world.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Skyscrapers were an American contribution to the world and the rest of the world was emulating us by building them. Now, not only are they building more, bigger towers than we are, but they are buying up ours.

It shows how we're losing ground in the world.

They only rented enough space to have the building naming thrown in, they didn't buy the building. It's more of a statement of how bad landlords are hurting to fill retail space than it is an indicator of us vs. the world.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I like that "What' choo talkin' bout, Willis? Tower"

LOL :rofl:

It will be interesting to see how the name is received over time.
They pulled that crap here in NY. The MTA renamed the Triborough Bridge the RFK Bridge. With an over billion dollar deficit, they spend millions of dollars for P.R. and new signage. As of now, I don't know of anyone who refers to the bridge as the RFK...everyone still refers to it as the Triborough.

Governmental morons.