Donovan McNabb said what?

Discussion in 'NFL' started by AJ_II, Nov 19, 2008.

1. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I can't get over the fact that Donovan McNabb didn't realize an NFL game could end in a tie. How does a 10-year veteran Pro Bowl QB who has been to the Super Bowl not know one of the most fundamental rules of the NFL? Donovan, there was even a tie back in 2002. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you in the league at that point? Didn't you notice?

This is something that will probably always stick with McNabb, long after he retires.

2. Supafly

Supafly Member

I don't see it as a biggie. With the college rule changes concerning overtime and the NFL two point conversion rules.

I didn't know and I don't remember a tie in 2002 (or where I lived or what alias I went by)

Now if he say's he didn't know it was illegal to breed man eating rottweilers to bet money on in his back yard I'd say that was dumb.

3. sjb4

sjb4 Member

I don't think the Eagles coaches knew the OT rules either. Which is worse?

4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

How does someone associated with the NFL not know that? We all did.

6. In addition to that, Safety Brian Dawkins was clearly distraught after the Bengals game and had this to say in the postgame press conference about how tying felt to him: "It's like in 'Talladega Nights' how they say there is only first place and last place." Dawkins was visibly upset and what came to his mind was ... "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."!!! If in your darkest hour, you quote lines from absurd Will Ferrell comedies, you have a blessed life. I mean, it's not often a person is called to the morgue to identify a loved one and tells the medical examiner: "It's like in 'Anchorman' when he says: 'It's a formidable scent. It stings the nostrils. I'm gonna be honest with you, Brian, that smells like pure gasoline.'"

semipenguin likes this.
  7. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I think it's insane that an NFL player, especially a 10 year vet, doesn't know the rules. It makes you wonder, what other rules he doesn't know? Every player should be able to practically recite the rulebook from memory, or at least get 99% on a written exam.

8. digital100

digital100 Member

The referee states the rules of overtime just prior to the coin toss which includes the fact that if neither team score before the end of overtime, the game will end in a tie.

It was ridiculous that he did not know. It was ridiculous that he admitted publicly that he did not know. It is crazy that players from around the league are jumping on his defense.

9. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Is it any wonder why Philly is so inconsistent? Seems to me McNabb doesn't really care, he's not even listening to the refs when they spell out the rules to him. Gimme my 5 mil, I got some pimping to do.

10. All the more reason to have an OT session like college football does. It will never happen though.:clueless:

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Where's Ed Hochuli when you need him?...:right:

:)

12. joe2k4

joe2k4 Member

Yes its dumb if you were in sales, and you didn't realize you had to sell that wouldn't be good. Same case here if your in the NFL you should at least know the rules. That just shows you the smarts football players have. THey get $10000000 to play, but can't remember basic rules.

13. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

Exactly, the coaches should have at least motivated it to the players when it got down to the closing minutes.

"Come on guys! We don't want this to end in a tie to a sub par team we are playing .........."

14. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Well...at least the Eagles have a long time to read up on the rules and reflect. Their season is done.