Dead Family

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm a good old Merican mutt.
I've got English kin that came over back before the civil war. Someone was supposed to have been married to someone in Abe Lincoln's family but there isn't anyone left that could explain how that could be traced back, so I leave it as family folklore.
The other side of the family came over from Germany right round 1900 or so and settled in Pennsylvania where there were some German farming communities.

Reactions: JHDK and Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
My dad's grandpa moved from the Maratimes through Ontario to North Dakota and then into Saskatchewan. My understanding is that he wasn't always on the right side of the law

You have an outlaw cowboy in your history. That's cool.

Imagine what life was like for that guy, must have been rough. We're talking late 1800's right? Literally wild west times. I always think people must have been so dirty back then. It's so nice we can just hop in the shower whenever we want. A bath must have been a commodity back then.

I bet that guy knew how to ride a horse.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't believe he was a horse rustler. More like petty fraud and get-rich-quick schemes of the day from what I recall reading.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Judy Garland was a stone cold fox.

Also Kurt Cobain was an important artist that I think history (not just pop culture) is going to remember. Like Lennon or Bach or Beethoven.

I know this is a cover but it's just beautiful and so was the whole show. What I consider to be the perfect musical performance.

Dead people thoughts...all in all is all we all are.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Judy Garland was a stone cold fox.

Also Kurt Cobain was an important artist that I think history (not just pop culture) is going to remember. Like Lennon or Bach or Beethoven.

I know this is a cover but it's just beautiful and so was the whole show. What I consider to be the perfect musical performance.

Dead people thoughts...all in all is all we all are.

I agree. I also love the cover of Bowie's Man Who Sold the World. Nirvana was an awesome group. Grohl is the best, and Cobain was multi-talented. He wrote great songs, and I don't think he gets enough credit as a musician. When you have a 3-person band, the guitarist has to do both lead and rhythm at the same time. He did that and sang too, and was a great stage performer.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Grohl is the best

I know nothing about playing music but I've heard that all good musicians should know the drums. I know Trey from Phish learned drums when he was quite young. And Fishman has mentioned that a lot of his drum kit is for very specific songs. A lot can be done with a less elaborate kit.

I do like those hollow wood things he hits now and then.

My dad could read sheet music and then play it on the piano. I was always impressed by that. I took about 3 piano lessons when I was like 10 and wanted to kill myself. He said he wasn't that good but it sounded good to me. We had a piano bench that opened up and had a bunch of old sheet music in it. Shit looked like Hebrew to me.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Reading music is about as hard as counting numbers, adding and multiplying. Something any 4th grader can do. You look at the note, you hit the right key. Just like typing.

Chords are another level, whether on piano or guitar. And chords with a melody line is quite a skill.

But none of that is as impressive as improvisation, or the ability to play anything without reading music. Real musicians can play anything they've ever done by memory. It's like reciting word for word every book you've ever read.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Reading music is about as hard as counting numbers, adding and multiplying. Something any 4th grader can do. You look at the note, you hit the right key. Just like typing.

Chords are another level, whether on piano or guitar. And chords with a melody line is quite a skill.

But none of that is as impressive as improvisation, or the ability to play anything without reading music. Real musicians can play anything they've ever done by memory. It's like reciting word for word every book you've ever read.

Hmm. I did not know that. Reading music always seemed and still does seem like a really hard thing to do. How long you think it would take to learn? Like a couple months? Years?

The improv stuff is kinda why I'm into Phish so much. They clearly have an idea where their show is going but then they take left turns all the time and like 20 minutes later your mind explodes.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I actually learned how to read music in 4th grade. It's about the same as driving a car. After one lesson, you can drive a little. By the 3rd lesson, you're basically doing it, but doing it well takes a few weeks.

The basics involves 2 things; reading notes (every good boy deserves fudge), and knowing the corresponding keys on the instrument. Then there's short notes and long notes, and sharps and flats; FCGDAEB, BEADGCF.

Then it's time signatures, tempo, intonation, and loudness. And that's about it for now. See you next week.

Reactions: JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The concept of reading sheet music is easy, but the practice is difficult to me though. I spend too much time counting the lines and reciting the every good boy deserves fudge stuff to read and play at the same time. I learned the recorder in grade school like everyone else, I took guitar lessons, but always wound up memorizing the songs faster than I would actually read the sheet music. I took a piano class in college, and started to get a bit better with the sheet music thing, but lost it very quickly. Improvising (at least solos) isn't that hard for me if I can use simple scales. I don't know very many scales, but fortunately. rock doesn't need many.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The concept of reading sheet music is easy, but the practice is difficult to me though. I spend too much time counting the lines and reciting the every good boy deserves fudge stuff to read and play at the same time. I learned the recorder in grade school like everyone else, I took guitar lessons, but always wound up memorizing the songs faster than I would actually read the sheet music. I took a piano class in college, and started to get a bit better with the sheet music thing, but lost it very quickly. Improvising (at least solos) isn't that hard for me if I can use simple scales. I don't know very many scales, but fortunately. rock doesn't need many.

You play guitar right Hectic? How long did it take to learn? And I think you've posted videos of you band. Can you pot them again or new ones? That seems like it would be something cool to see.

As you can see I am a musical virtuoso.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I took piano lessons for a while when I was a kid, read the sheet music.

When I played a lot of guitar later on, I just read the guitar tabs.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I learned to read music with guitar lessons. But I didn't stick with the guitar, moved to recorder and then clarinet and sax.

Clarinet is easy to play off sheet music. There's a unique fingering for each note. Guitar is complex, so I'd imagine it might be easier not to read the music.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You play guitar right Hectic? How long did it take to learn?
Yeah. Simple strumming and easy songs don't take too long to learn. You can learn an easy 3 chord song on your first day in a couple of hours.
I used to try to teach girls how to play at parties back in the day. Every once and a while you could teach like you were giving a girl a golf lesson. It was a good move.
And I think you've posted videos of you band. Can you pot them again or new ones?
I had posted one video of myself playing to shut you guys up, but it doesn't seem right to drag the rest of the guys into this.
That seems like it would be something cool to see.
It's pretty meh.
I just read the guitar tabs.
That's mostly what I do now. Tabs and youtube lessons. If we had youtube when i was learning in the early 80's I might actually be good now.
Guitar is complex, so I'd imagine it might be easier not to read the music.
Other guitarists manage to do just fine learning to read sheet music, but I've never had the patience or attention span to do it right. Things like piano and saxophones are linear (low notes on one end and high notes on the other end of the instrument) it seems like it should be easier to visualize the relationship between the note on the staff to the note on the instrument. Guitar strings are individually linear, but each string starts with a different note, so it's like you're playing 6 individual instruments that each start at a different reference point. Each string is easy, but like I said, I've never had the patience to learn to do it correctly. By the time I've sorted out the notes from the sheet music, I've generally been able to memorize the song or connect the dots in my head and figure out the rest by ear.

I really should put in the effort to trying to learn to read sheet music properly. I know that it would help make me a better player. All of that great music theory stuff really comes together when you can read.