Cutting down the field?

rdhdtrue

Oct 14, 2008
St. Louis
danicaboni.blogspot.com
I was on lunch break .. heading to Target :p and heard Postman and Chocolate talking about cutting each series' field down. Was this just a rumor around the garage? Or was there something published? I can NOT imagine only having twenty something spots in the Cup field.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I haven't gotten to listen to Sirius for a few weeks because I'm training a student. That would not be a good idea IMHO.

They should just do what Jeff Burton said and lock in the top 42 and leave only one spot open for qualification. These teams need sponsorship, and being guaranteed a spot in the race might help them...:)

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
if the economy keeps on taking a turn for the worst we aren't going to have to worry about them cutting the fields, the economy will do it for them.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I read that on Jayski this week as well. Your right about the economy riskybzns and with sponsors drying up maybe its a pre-preemptive move they're floating around so it doesn't look like they can't actually get a full field??

TVsMike

Oct 14, 2008
Shawnee, KS
I think both of those numbers sound like a good compromise. I can't stand seeing all the "field fillers" that are in the pits 5 laps into the race. It makes me almost feel sad for the guys on those pit crews. Seems like all they are doing is just going through the motions.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
I guess Im missing something, what would it change? If there are only 37 cars show up, you only race 37. If you have to send some home above 43, send them home. Im not understanding the point.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
if the economy keeps on taking a turn for the worst we aren't going to have to worry about them cutting the fields, the economy will do it for them.

Bingo. Not to mention the cost of just GETTING to the track and having to deal with being out of the top 35. And then it rains.......

It's a wonder some of these teams even show up in the chase races when they're not IN the chase.