Confused about the merger and channels

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by mrpacs, Nov 11, 2008.

1. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Call me a noob but I don't fully understand what is happening with the new channel lineups. I have a Sirius sub. My wife has an XM sub. She will be adding Best of Sirius to her XM sub shortly. Will my Sirius channel lineup chaneg like the XM lineup is? Anything else I can expect to change? thanks.

2. Chob

Chob Well-Known Member

We're all a bit confused. :jj: The threads here are the most info I've seen about this anywhere.

3. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

It's hard to say exactly whats going to happen.

Your music channels should be the same as your wifes XM ones, but we're not sure.

4. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

It appears that on the music side they will nearly the same, less a few stations. Talk will come later, they say. Sports will cause you to do best of to get it all.

That is what I think, who knows.

5. styckx

styckx Member

That makes it much more easier to understand

6. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

So will XM and Sirius BOTH have the exact same channel lineup except for The Best of Sirius?

7. styckx

styckx Member

[​IMG]

(for the most part)

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Some say yes, some speculate that there will remain some unique music channels on each service. No one knows because nothing has been officially released. I am in the camp that thinks they will for the most part be the same. How is that for a commitment (for the most part) LOL ;) :p

9. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

LOL! well, I'm still confused but I guess I'm not the only one. We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. Thanks all.

10. styckx

styckx Member

What scares me is. Will Sirius take away my precious free XM 64k online stream and convert over to the Sirius model? 32k for free or upgrade for more money?

<3 my free 64k stream

11. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to stay with XM after all this? If you have a Sirius sub, you would have all that XM has to offer PLUS Stern,etc? Something is missing from the equation.

12. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

XM has better talk (at least I think so) and MLB. Get XM (same music as Sirius) add best of sirius get Stern and the NFL.

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Many reasons better equipment, better reception, better technology, plus I can get everything that SIRIUS offers that interest me.

I love my XPressRC tuner which Sirius has nothing like it, plus there is the XMp3, which is indeed better than the SL2. What XM has in all other areas including sports other than NFL which I'll get anyway, doesn't give me any incentive to stay with Sirius. I can't think of a single reason for me to keep my Sirius subscription.

14. styckx

styckx Member

I don't see MLB lasting much longer as a XM exclusive. This is more and more not looking like a merger and a complete takeover by Sirius. That MLB contract is a lot of $$$$$$$, why keep it from [insert Sirius sub count here] subscribers? Makes no sense. In another year I'm willing to bet there will be 100% no glaring difference of what is offered on both services. The only thing keeping the XM portion of this alive is those multi billion dollar satellites floating around in space.

15. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

For me I am going to keep my Sirius Subscrpition because of Hardcore Sports Radio which is not on XM , and if you havent listened to them yet it is no holds barred sports talk and they have alot of entertaining programs.

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

In an interview Mel announced that they were in negotiations with MLB, that currently they didn't have the rights to broadcast those games on the Sirius spectrum and of course money was involved, because MLB being the greedy dogs they are naturally want more money, which SIRIUS doesn't have to give at this point. I think if they could have they would have, just like they did NHL, NFL, NBA. Apparently the MLB contract that XM had was pretty iron clad and didn't allow the games to be offered beyond XM's own spectrum.

However, with all that said it is well known that the plan is the combine the spectrum into a single system which will likely be the XM system. But they can't do it for a period of time due to FCC restrictions on approving the merger. Mel also said this during this same interview. Sorry, I can't remember who the interview was with now. But it was posted on the forum.

17. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I was wondering about that, do you think that they will move Sirius to XM's sat's and save Sirius Sat's for Backseat TV and other gadgets?

18. styckx

styckx Member

I'm telling you, those satellites hovering around up there have to the be single most expensive overhead in a U.S. company ever. 7-8 satellites? (I Lost count) combined for a single radio service? I bet Mel would sell his sperm to Bill Gates if someone could figure out a way to make XM radios accept the Sirius spectrum.

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That would be my guess, because they would then allocate so much bandwidth just for the Backseat video. I can tell you Mel doesn't sound like he cares much for the Backseat video thing and said they were basically pushed to do it by Chrysler otherwise they would have scrapped it. So, whos to say they will keep that option around, but if the question then becomes can they handle it by allocating bandwidth for it even if the spectrum is combined under one system.

20. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

If they could add some more channels to Backseat TV there would be more people going for it. Add ESPN, HBO and a few other channels and Mom and Dad will be wanting to sit in the back with the kids.