Comedy Death Ray

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
With nearly thirty podcasts in the books, CDR is fast becoming one of the more entertaining hour long comedy podcasts today. Most of the guests hail from the Los Angeles area, so you can expect a fair amount of Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson along with a lot of unknown talented comedians.

Scott Aukerman is the host(most of the time) and the show plays novelty songs to break up the interview/plugging/comedy segments.

Anyone else listen to this podcast?

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
With nearly thirty podcasts in the books, CDR is fast becoming one of the more entertaining hour long comedy podcasts today. Most of the guests hail from the Los Angeles area, so you can expect a fair amount of Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson along with a lot of unknown talented comedians.

Scott Aukerman is the host(most of the time) and the show plays novelty songs to break up the interview/plugging/comedy segments.

Anyone else listen to this podcast?

I always thought it was a lot shorter, so I never subscribed. Is it an hour each time?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I always thought it was a lot shorter, so I never subscribed. Is it an hour each time?

A few shows have clocked in under an hour, but most are just a minute or two longer. There are a couple of shows that even make it to an hour twenty or thereabouts.

Just listened to the Weird Al Yankovic episode, which is very good.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
The latest episode, number 34, is very funny. John Hamm and Doug Benson, along with special unnamed guests partake.

Some really funny improvisational comedy. The Jesse Ventura bit and the Mexican DJ come into make another guest appearance.

Check it out on iTunes or at Comedy Death Ray.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Patton Oswalt on Jay Leno...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grEAYWRDtBw]YouTube - Patton Oswalt's Comments on Leno/Conan Shakeup[/ame]

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I listened to the latest episode & the podcast for the first time and I found it excruciating because of a character they had named "Little Gary." It was like something Howard Stern would come up with, and it was SO f'n annoying. I'll give it another try though...

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I listened to the latest episode & the podcast for the first time and I found it excruciating because of a character they had named "Little Gary." It was like something Howard Stern would come up with, and it was SO f'n annoying. I'll give it another try though...

Little Gary is an acquired taste, he's supposed to be obnoxious. I think Scott leans on him a little too much, but the man behind the Little Gary mask, of sorts, is a gifted improv comedian. He was Reno 911.

I just really liked Patton's take on Leno.

Comedy Death Ray(the podcast) is only about thirty plus shows old. It won't blow you away, but it does have its moments. I listen every week.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
So I tried out this more recent episode with Garfunkle & Oats and Scott Aukerman's "stepfather" Bob Duka. HILARIOUS!

Not only did I like the character, but I have now discovered the musical comedy joy that is Garfunkle & Oates. I will certainly keep up with the show now :bigthumbup:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
So I tried out this more recent episode with Garfunkle & Oats and Scott Aukerman's "stepfather" Bob Duka. HILARIOUS!

Not only did I like the character, but I have now discovered the musical comedy joy that is Garfunkle & Oates. I will certainly keep up with the show now :bigthumbup:

I loved his telling of the names, replete with all of the Native American names, but the Bob Fuck threw me for a loop. Also, my download of that particular show skipped a lot. I could only get through about twenty minutes of it.

Scott plays Garf & Oates every few shows during the song segments. You should check out the back shows, there's some pretty good ones in there. I liked Paul F. Tompkins guest hosting from a couple of weeks ago.

It's a hit and miss type of show. It's usually good for some laughs and it's only about an hour. I'm glad you liked it.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

yea that episode was like the first one i heard. those two girls are great! kinda like an american chick version of the flight of the conchords. i went and checked out all their tunes on the website and they are pretty much all winners.

Garfunkel & Oates

-jhdk

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Comedy Death-Ray episode 40 released today.

Eh..maybe a 2.5 out of 5. It has Doug Benson, so that's good. They play "Would You Rather".

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008

Eh..maybe a 2.5 out of 5. It has Doug Benson, so that's good. They play "Would You Rather".

Doug Benson is only good when he's with Adam Corolla, and that's because Corolla is doing most of the work.

No, you are not the next big thing in comedy Benson, you're just there because there's nothing else there.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Doug Benson is only good when he's with Adam Corolla, and that's because Corolla is doing most of the work.

No, you are not the next big thing in comedy Benson, you're just there because there's nothing else there.

Have you heard "I Love Movies"? I think he's pretty quick witted for a complete stoner. Doug had Leonard Maltin on the show last week to play the Leonard Maltin Game. It was a good episode.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
hey ifan....do you know who the guy is who does the kinda whiney old man voice? hes on a lot. right now im listening to him play huell howser. he does that same voice a bunch and its funny as hell. thanks.

-jhdk

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
hey ifan....do you know who the guy is who does the kinda whiney old man voice? hes on a lot. right now im listening to him play huell howser. he does that same voice a bunch and its funny as hell. thanks.

-jhdk

He's a brilliant young comedian. His name is James Adomian and he's sort of a regular on CDR and Funny Or Die.

Here's his Wiki...

James Adomian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His Huell is good because he takes it to a dangerous level. I believe James is just borrowing from Dana Gould's impression, but I could be wrong about that. Dana did the impression a long time ago and has been doing it for the past four years on the Carolla show. Adam's dissection of Huell throughout the years is must listen radio. Dana was the first guest to raise Adam's game for all things "Huell".

Here's a clip from a couple of years ago...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiaq8lwi32M&feature=related]YouTube - The Adam Carolla Show - More Huell Howser 2 of 2[/ame]

You should also check out the website for Funny Or Die, James has some great impressions. Did you like his Christopher Hitchens impression? I thought he wavered in and out of it, but when he was on he was really hitting it.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
cool thanks. that voice is so funny by its self and on top of that he drops comic gems in all the time. i like the funny or die site but didnt know who he was. ill check it out now.

-jhdk

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008

I thought it was a solid episode, but that "author" guy certainly stole the show. Funny stuff! :bigthumbup:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Comedy Death Ray Episode 41: Blech...too bad, I love Aimee Mann. I was bored throughout most of it. 1 out of 5.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Comedy Death Ray Episode 41: Blech...too bad, I love Aimee Mann. I was bored throughout most of it. 1 out of 5.

im sorry to hear that. i was excited about a fresh episode. i just dl'ed a whole bunch of old shows and need to catch up. hopefully ill think otherwise of this weeks show.

-jhdk

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008

FWIW.....

Garfunkle & Oates were on last weeks episode of "I Love Movies".