Charging requirments for Slacker

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by lronglien, Nov 30, 2008.

1. lronglien

lronglien Member

Does anyone know what the power requirements are for the Slacker car charger? I wondered if I could use a 5v power charger that I have for the Sirius/XM units??

2. Music_Rube

Music_Rube Member

I'm not entirely sure. I know Slacker is selling a car charger on their website and it might list the voltage.

One thing to keep in mind is the connector. I don't think the connector is the same for the Slacker player as it is for Sirius XM. The Slacker player uses a mini-USB connection.

3. lronglien

lronglien Member

Car charger

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping...

4. drowe

drowe New Member

It is just a normal 5v mini-USB. I use a car charger I got with my phone. You can also use a cigarette adapter that has a USB connector. That is the really nice thing about the G2, you can charge it with a wide variety of devices.

5. lronglien

lronglien Member

Won't power on

I have had this G2 a little over a week and this morning it won't power on. I did have it charging over night, so its not making sense to me...Ideas welcome?

6. Hold in the Ban and Home keys for 15 seconds to reboot the player.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I moved this in a thread of its own as it was off topic for the thread it was in.

I purchased the 5 volt car charger for mine, but you can use almost anything that has the mini USB connector and supports 5 volts.

One thing that I had happen to me one night while staying in a hotel. The power plug was behind the bed and since that cord they provide is so darn short I didn't realize that I had not pushed the mini USB plug solidly into the Slacker device. So needless to say it never charged. You really have to make sure it is pushed in all the way. Just a though not saying that is the issue for you.

I don't know why they made they provided such a short cable for charging.

out of control likes this.
  8. rep point for keeping things organized.........:wave:

9. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thank you :)

10. Did you fix it ? How ?

11. lronglien

lronglien Member

Fixed

I did the "live chat" online--they told me it has to be plugged in and to hold down the ban and home keys for 15 seconds and it would restart--and it did.

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That is great info. I was not aware of how to reset the device, but I am glad I've not had to either. Thanks for sharing this!

13. pattere14

pattere14 New Member

I tried my charger for my cell phone. Worked well and i ordered an extra one for work so i can have the display always on. It is a shame that the display is so nice but kills the battery.

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

My iPod charger is 5 volts and any standard small USB connector will fit. I finally made myself a nice long charging cord that short one was a pain in the butt. I have also found my car charger very, very worthy of having as I listen so much and now that I have it mounted with velcro in my car I too like to turn the display on and this setup allows me to do that.

15. Geronimo

Geronimo New Member

Actually there are a number of connectors that are sold as nini or micro USB. Be sure to look a tit to be sure you have the right one. this can be problematic since the packaging often hides the actual connector.

i have trieda few car adapters. While the fit is not an issue i tend to get a slight hum with the adapters I ahve tried. Can those of you who have had success tell me what you are using.

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You are right about the tip that can be tricky....

I used both my 5volt Apple charger with my included cable from the Slacker and I also used my 5volt Garmin charger with the ac adapter and cable that came with it. Worked just fine. Most of the Sansa players have the same 5volt charger and cable too.

17. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

I am using a charger from a Motorola Razr at work and at home I'm using the stock charger with a USB extension cable I had already.