Cancelling Sirius: How much resistance do they put up?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by snakester, Nov 13, 2008.

1. snakester

snakester Member

Now that the channel lineups are virtually identical, I went ahead and added Best of Sirius to my two active XM Radios and after this billing cycle (mainly because I already have it accounted for in my finances) I'm gonna call in and cancel sirius.

Do they give you a hard time, and offer you all sorts of free crap, or do they just do it? What I'm kind of hoping for is an offer of a month or two free so I can save up enough money to pick up one of those slick xmp3 units... but if not I think I can afford to leave just my Stiletto active until then (after seeing all the missing channel icons and wallpapers, I'm not just gonna leave it on like I originally planned. It looks so sloppy)

Also, slightly OT but does anyone have any clue if there's any way to make a pair of the Sirius Altec Lansing antenna headphones work with the inno/xmp3? They're far superior to the XM antenna headphones, both comfort and audio quality wise.

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Nope, I canceled my Sirius sub this afternoon. It didn't take long at all. The girl initially asked why and I told her that due to the merged music channels and because I had added the best of Sirius on my existing XM service that Just didn't need the Sirius sub. She said, oh okay I was going to see what I could offer you to stay with us, but I'll go ahead and cancel it.

Wow this is the first time in 7.5 years that I've not had an active Sirius sub!

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Member

I'm a dual sub and called today to tell them that I wanted to cancel my Sirius account, as I have intentions of getting the best of Sirius on my XM. In my case, I'm going to wait until after my billing cycle (the 21st of this month) when my Sirius should be shut off, and then get the Best of Sirius.

Anyway, as you might expect the wait to actually get a customer service rep can take a few minutes....but once you get through to someone, it's a snap....took me 5 minutes at the most to cancel....the main thing they do is verify you're the account holder. And as long as you indicate to them you're still going to have XM with Best of Sirius you won't have a problem, as you're for all intents and purposes, remaining a subscriber. It's the people that want to totally drop their service that may run into a situation where the representative is doing everything possible to retain the subscriber.

4. snakester

snakester Member

It kinda sucks turning a radio I paid $300 bucks for into a brick, but it'll save me money in the long run... Right now I'm paying $21.94 a month for XM and $26.95 or something for Sirius (I was foolish enough to activate Best of XM thinking that basketball was still gonna be Sirius exclusive) $48.89 a month total... doing this I'll be paying $33.98... Fifteen bucks ain't too shabby. Hell I could keep my Inno active (for the home FM mod) and get an XMp3 and STILL come out on top.

5. snakester

snakester Member

I jumped the gun a bit because I wanted to make sure that they didn't make the best of sirius sound like the other talk channels, as in AM radio-like, before I made a decision.

6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well just like with Sirius on a business level, we too have to make cut backs to save money here and there. I currently have the XM XpressRC and I really like that tuner. Though I did get an XMp3 from Taylor at TSS-Radio to play with and do a review, I didn't have any intent to buy one. However today as luck would have it, I was carrying a bunch of stuff out of my vehicle and my Xpress slipped out of my hand and landed on the tuning wheel and knocked it off. I glued it back on, but I doubt it is going to last, I am hoping though. If that starts to give me problem, I'll likely go ahead and get the XMp3 though. It is really a cool tuner.

I will likely call and cancel one other XM sub tomorrow and that will get me down to one XM sub only for Sat Radio. Sirius sub $12.95, internet premium $2.99 and a $6.99 XM sub total savings right at $23 a month.

7. macfanatic010

macfanatic010 Member

back during the 1st half of the year, i planned on switching from sirius to xm. but when i tried to cancel twice, they offered me 2 months the 1st time. then 1 month the 2nd time. over time, i ended up missing the xm choices when i had my sirius radio in the car and the sirius choices when i brought my xm in the car. i ended up being a dual sub.

honestly, it shouldn't be too hard to cancel. they'll offer you a few months free, but they're nice about it and don't push it on you. if you decline, they'll cancel your account.

now that the lineup is almost identical, i plan on canceling my sirius sub too once my billing period comes close to renewal.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Member

I should also add, that they'll ask you if you want to "hold" your account open for 6 months. What that means is if you should ever have the desire to re-activate your account after cancelling, you wouldn't have to pay a re-activation fee. I went ahead and did that just in case they would ever make it possible (now that almost all the channels are merged) to allow that radio to become a "family plan" radio at $6.99/month....or it'll help some if I ever go to give or sell that radio to someone.

9. snakester

snakester Member

Cool. Now I just have to decide whether to pick up an XMp3 or a slacker first... it'll probably have to be the xmp3 as not having a buffer on my home radio will drive me nuts.

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah I think that is what I'd go for first is the XMp3. TSS-Radio now has them for sale so check it out!

XMp3® XM Receiver and MP3 Player

There is a $30 rebate on them right now too.

11. snakester

snakester Member

I don't qualify for that rebate, it says you must be a new subscriber. Ah well, I know for a fact my local Best Buy carries them.

12. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

If it only worked with internet I'd do the same. I hope the next model has that feature.

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well keep us posted on what you end up doing. :)

Yeah I think the reason it didn't get include it was that Zing didn't want to do another sat radio, dealing with Sirius on the Stiletto line left a very bitter taste for them, at least according my old Zing contact. They could not stand dealing with Sirius Management.

Anyway, since I have the Slacker G2, I will suppliment it in the place of needed music beyond what I can get live with my current XM Tuner. I won't be without some tunes by any means, but I do wish the XMp3 had the Wifi as I'd jump on one for sure.

I just checked my ExpressRC and it seems my glue job is working great. So, hopefully it will last and I'll can just stick with it and the Slacker G2. That is the plan for now.

14. lronglien

lronglien Member

Procedures

So...do you just call one number to cancel both XM or Sirius accounts? I think I've got an overage--actually I know that I do--of satellite radios that are active. Once I get the word that MLB is coming to Sirius, then I'll have it exactly the way I want it. In the mean time though, I think I'll reduce my numbers of radios.

15. macfanatic010

macfanatic010 Member

you'll need to call XM to cancel XM and Sirius to cancel Sirius. they haven't gotten around to merging the two companies' billing databases together, so for now, one can't access the other.

16. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

How about that? I added Best of SIRIUS to my XM. All I need is for them to add EWTN to XM and I would cancel my SIRIUS immediately. If I get tired of waiting, I may still eventually cancel the SIRIUS.

17. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

QUELLE HORROR!!!

Dab, you cancelled your SIRIUS? WTF? So now you only have XM with the best of Sirius?

Is Slacker that good?

18. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I'm going to give them a week to settle down and then have a 'chat' with them about family plan pricing for my XM sub. I know all the excuses they will give me but whether official or not, I intend to do it. I will let you know the end result.

19. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

Do us all a favor and talk to them about $6.99 family plan regardless of which sats are beaming it. You can do it. We have put our faith in you.

BTW - I will be skiing in Feb (steamboat), and getting psyched. It's been a few years, as I live in FLA. Your alias reminds me all the time.

20. styckx

styckx Member

It's kind of ironic. Sirius buys out XM and all the dual subs are canceling their Sirius account and keeping their XM equipment and getting best of. Pretty funny.