Can I use a this home power supply?

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by JeffNY, Dec 14, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY New Member

Hi, I have an ST2 that I have been using in my home for three years with a power supply (AC adapter) than I got wit the home kit. It says:
    INPUT: 100-240V 50-60Hz 0.4A
    OUTPUT: 12V (a solid line over a dashed line) 1.2A
    MODEL NO: ACTM-09

....we just had a huge power outage from ice. It now appears this AC adapter does not work. Well, it powers the radio sometimes until I plug in an antenna. I tried the radio in my car and it works fine.

I am trying to get another AC Adapter for my ST2 pronto. I have an AC adapter here for a battery charger that has the same kind of plug. It says:
    PRI: 100-240V 50-60Hz 330mA
    SEC: 12V (a solid line over a dashed line) 1200mA 14.4VA

Can I safely use this adapter to power my ST2? They are very similar, the only thing that concerns me is the "14.4VA".....

HELP!

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. JeffNY

JeffNY New Member

I also saw this online at Radio Shack:
    12VDC 1500mA AC Adapter - RadioShack.com

....but it puts out a little more amperage than the one I was using with the ST2. Just want to make sure my ST2 lasts a long time. It's been running 3 years on the power supply I was using :)

3. JeffNY

JeffNY New Member

I just found this:
    Refurbished Starmate Replay Standalone ST2

It says the ST2 uses "9-16 Volts, Negative Ground, DC" so the 14.4 volts should be Ok. I guess I can try it. Just didn't want to hurt the radio :(

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

If you make one more post, people are really going to think you're talking to yourself...:)

5. JeffNY

JeffNY New Member

Ok, I am back up and running using this other AC Adapter. Can any of you electronics experts tell me if I can use that 1500mA AC adapter above? The radio will only draw the amperage it needs, correct? So upping the available amperage from 1200mA to 1500mA should not cause any problem?

Sorry if I am talking to myself here :) Thought the info might be of help to others

6. fineware

fineware Member

You should be ok. The 14.4VA is redundant: 12V * 1.2A = 14.4VA. Actually, the current rating just needs to be at or greater than the required drawing current. The voltage and polarity is more important. For example, you don't want to use that power supply with an S50 since it needs a 5v power supply.

7. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

When I talk to myself, nobody benefits...:right:

:)

8. JeffNY

JeffNY New Member

>>You should be ok.<<

....thanks. I was using my battery charger AC adapter today but I did buy the Radio Shack AC adapter above. I will try it on my other ST2 (from my car) but it sounds like it'll be fine. The ST2 in my house I have connected to a computer to record Howard Stern everyday...so I can use my iPod to listen to shows :) I had two ST2's and a spare antenna...but no spare AC adapter to swap out if it failed. I should be set now.