Brands That Might Disappear in 2012

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com

Each year, 24/7 Wall St. regularly compiles a list of brands that are going to disappear in the near-term. Last year's list proved to be prescient in many instances, predicting the demise of T-Mobile among others. In late May, AT&T and Deutche Telekom announced that AT&T would buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion. The deal would add 34 million customers to the company and create the country's largest wireless operator.

Other 2010 nominees — including Blockbuster — bit the dust, while companies such as Dollar Thrifty are on the road to oblivion. Last September, after finally giving in to competition from Netflix and buckling under nearly $1 billion in debt, Blockbuster filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. In April of this year, Dish Network acquired the company for $320 million. Car rental chain Dollar Thrifty is still entertaining buyout offers from Avis and Hertz. On June 6, the embattled company recommended that its shareholders not accept Hertz's recent offer, valued at $2.24 billion, or $72 a share. Meanwhile, on June 13th, Avis Budget announced that "it had made progress in its discussion with the Federal Trade Commission regarding its potential acquisition" of the company. Although Dollar Thrifty can remain choosy, a sale is a matter of when, not if.

We also missed the mark on a few companies. Notably, Kia, Moody's, BP, and Zale appear to be doing better than we expected.

Brands that have stood the test of time for decades are falling by the wayside at an alarming rate. For instance, Pontiac, a major car brand since 1926, is gone, shut down by a struggling GM. Blockbuster is in the process of dismantling, after it once controlled the VHS and DVD markets. House & Garden folded after 106 years. It succumbed to the advertising downturn, a lot of competition, and the cost of paper and postage. Its demise echoed the 1972 shutdown of what is probably the most famous magazines in history — Life. That was a long time ago but serves to demonstrate that no brand is too big to fail if it is overwhelmed by competition, new inventions, costs, or poor management.

This year's list of The Ten Brands That Will Disappear takes a methodical approach in deciding which brand would walk the plank. The major criteria were as follows: (1) a rapid fall-off in sales and steep losses; (2) disclosures by the parent of the brand that it might go out of business; (3) rapidly rising costs that are extremely unlikely to be recouped through higher prices; (4) companies which are sold; (5) companies that go into bankruptcy; (6) firms that have lost the great majority of their customers; or (7) operations with rapidly withering market share. Each of the ten brands on the list suffer from one or more of these problems. Each of the ten will be gone, based on our definitions, within 18 months.

10. Nokia
9. Soap Opera Digest (Sorry Hectic) :p
8. MySpace
7. Kellogg's Corn Pops
6. Sony Ericsson
5. Sears
4. American Apparel
3. Saab
2. A&W
1. Sony Pictures

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
What does that mean? Is Nokia going out of buisiness or just changing their name becuase they merged with Siemens? Right now they are called Nokia-Siemens.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
A&W?? Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Sears would be about the only real tragedy in the bunch, and probably only because the name is so iconic. But they probably haven't really been the same company since before K-mart bought them a few years ago.

Maybe some Finns will miss Nokia, I guess, too :) But I haven't used or even liked a Nokia phone since 2002.

Who will miss some of the others?

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
A&W?? Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Sears would be about the only real tragedy in the bunch, and probably only because the name is so iconic. But they probably haven't really been the same company since before K-mart bought them a few years ago.

Maybe some Finns will miss Nokia, I guess, too :) But I haven't used or even liked a Nokia phone since 2002.

Who will miss some of the others?
But is that the handset maker Nokia, the telecomm equipment manufacturer Seimens-Nokia, or both? I will certainly miss the telecomm equipment manucturer, my company does a lot of work for them.:confused:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Bye-bye MySpace. You made a valiant effort but eventually succumbed to the changing tides of fate.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
Bye-bye MySpace. You made a valiant effort but eventually succumbed to the changing tides of fate.
I agree, I use to be a fan of myspace until I found facebook and plus I never posted a pic of me on that site and I kepted getting junk request on myspace. "Oh you look hot, can I be your friend." Hello, stupid I don't have a pic of me on there!

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I agree, I use to be a fan of myspace until I found facebook and plus I never posted a pic of me on that site and I kepted getting junk request on myspace. "Oh you look hot, can I be your friend." Hello, stupid I don't have a pic of me on there!
I found that too many corporations/entities used it to promoted their shit.

If I liked a band or something, it wasn't an invitation to be subjected to every god damn advertising scheme they could cook up.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
I found that too many corporations/entities used it to promoted their shit.

If I liked a band or something, it wasn't an invitation to be subjected to every god damn advertising scheme they could cook up.
Oh yea I got a lot of that as well. That why little by little I started unlike bands on that site and the promotion stuff finally went away.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
MySpace was always a crap design that just begged people to stay away. Embedded music and animations and ads and HORRIBLE wall o' ugly friends (Well, mostly ads after a while). MySpace, you won't be missed!

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
10. Nokia
9. Soap Opera Digest (Sorry Hectic)
8. MySpace
7. Kellogg's Corn Pops
6. Sony Ericsson
5. Sears
4. American Apparel
3. Saab
2. A&W
1. Sony Pictures

It always amazes me how companies that once held the crown fell so badly.

Sears - I remember when that was essentially -the- place to go for everything except groceries. They built the Sears Tower in the 1970s fully expecting to have it completely filled with Sears employees by the 1980s (never happened - they never got more than 1/3 of it filled with Sears employees at it's peak). It used to be that Sears was on every Main St. Then when malls came around they were in every mall. Right now, in Atlanta, I can name two malls (and they aren't the popular malls) that Sears is located in. At this point, if you want to find a Sears you actually have to do a little research. You can't just drive to a local mall and find one like you used to. I remember a time during the 1980s when the stores looked really crappy. They've spruced them up since then but each time I go into a Sears (and it's rare) there are more employees in there than customers - not a good sign.

Nokia is another one of those that leaves me with: "Seriously? You owned the market after taking it away from Motorola." (and Motorola leaves me with that feeling somewhat, too). Nokia hasn't been prominent in the cellphone market for years now. This really isn't a surprise.

I could see Sony Ericsson, too. It used to just be Ericsson and they were struggling until Sony bailed them out. They make decent phones but never were really a brand you'd find on the average guy on the street.

The basic deal is: None of these brands are particularly relevant any longer. Who eats Corn Pops? Who goes to A&W (except the one poster here)? I have one near me and I think I've maybe seen a total of 10 of them in my entire life and that's from living/driving all around the country.

It's still kind of interesting to see how these companies/brands fall from grace. I remember looking up a few years back at how Sears stays in business. Apparently they have (well, had) a huge pot of money that they were slowly draining to keep the stores open. The stores weren't paying their own way but they kept them open. I guess we're near the end of that pot.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
Who goes to A&W (except the one poster here)? I have one near me and I think I've maybe seen a total of 10 of them in my entire life and that's from living/driving all around the country.
I use to go to A&W to enjoy there root beer floats, the hamburgers were ok. I use to have two near me within a few miles, one was inside a KFC a year ago. But now KFC just occupies the building, the other inside a Long John Silvers.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I know a few people who swear by their SAAB's, beyond that, nothing I'd really miss. It's not like the A&W root beer is going away, just the restaurants.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I know a few people who swear by their SAAB's, beyond that, nothing I'd really miss. It's not like the A&W root beer is going away, just the restaurants.
The fountain root beer at the restaurants tastes better, IMO - so it will be sad to lose that. Never really seen A&W in the fountains at other places, so not sure how easy that will be to get. The food is pretty much Meh, though - probably why there are only about 300 of them left.