Books

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
we probably already have a thread about books but i couldnt find it with a quick search for 'books' or 'reading' so ill start this.

after seeing the trailer for The Martian i decided id check out the book. i enjoyed it and now look forward to the movie.

now that im finished with that i need some suggestions for what to read next. im into easy reading like The Martian, or pretty much any michael crichton. so what sifi books would u recommend? thanks.

also, to make this more than just suggested sifi reading, in general what types of books do u all like or have been reading lately?

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm reading "The Jay Birds of Fort Bend County", by Pauline Yelderman. It's a history of a racist political organization written by a racist historian. Fascinating stuff. After Reconstruction, the wealthy white families of Fort Bend went to war (with guns and death) against the less wealthy white families that had been controlling the black votes and ruling the county. The wealthiest families won the war and controlled the county up to the 1970s.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I'm reading An Unexpected Grace by Kristin von Kreisler. Its about a young women who survives being shot at work and an abused dog looking to be adopted. Both are brought to a home of a friend to recover and learn to trust each other despite their fears of being left alone with each other.

an unexpected grace.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ha! I decided to revive this thread because Andy Weir's new book Artemis just came out. I didn't remember that the whole reason I started this thread was to talk about Weir's The Martian. I loved both that book and the movie. The movie took a little while to grow on me but it's fantastic.

Anyway, I'm about to start Artemis. If it is as well researched as The Martian and written in the Crichton style of mixing in a bit of actual science to make all the scifi stuff seem more real, I'm sure I will love it too.

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you’re not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Finally finished Artemis a couple weeks ago. It was good but not as good as The Martian. It basically boils down to an evil corporation trying to take over a small town and a low level criminal who grew up in the town decides to make it her mission to save the day. And that little town is on the moon.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I am a library person now. There is this nice bike path/nature trail/library by me that I often go by on my way to other places. I have stopped to walk the nature trail a few times but never went in the library. I finally decided to check out the library last week and really liked it. It's a beautiful building with high ceilings and comfy chairs with huge floor to ceiling windows overlooking a lake. So I found a book and sat there and read for a hour or so. I have since gone back twice and got a library card. While I can take the books out I kinda like just sitting there to read. When biking around town I like to have a destination and now the library is a free place to go and relax during rides.

For the Stern fans, I feel a little like Medicated Pete while chilling at the library but I'm only there for an hour or two at a time so I don't think I've reached that level of pathetic yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The book I've been reading at the library is Michael Crichton's Dragon's Teeth that came out last year. He wrote it in 1974 and didn't think it was good enough to publish but now that he's dead his family put it out as a cash grab. I like it. Unlike most of his work it's not sci-fi, just straight fiction. It's a fun tale of a college kid in the 1870's going out west to attempt to find dinosaur fossils and how his group has to avoid Indians and rival archaeological groups.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Dragon's Teeth was a really fun read. I have to return it tomorrow so I just finished that last 60 so pages and it ended well. It's a fun tale of early paleontology that turns into a western where we stop for awhile in Deadwood, meet and team up with Wyatt Earp for a stretch and see a young rich college kid start out as a boy and turn into a hardened man. That transformation kinda reminded me of Walt from Breaking Bad. I looked into it a bit and, much like every other Crichton work, a lot of this novel depicted true events and people. If you're in the mood for an easy read that is also a somewhat accurate and quite fun western tale, check this one out.