BlueTooth Audio in car

Discussion in 'OEM Infotainment Systems' started by IdRatherBeSkiing, Aug 1, 2013.

1. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Got a rental car for my trip to Saskatchewan with the boy. It was a Toyota Matrix. It has BlueTooth Audio. I have wound up hardly listening to my SL2 and listening to my phone via BlueTooth. Never having had it I didn't see what the big deal but now it is so cool to do nothing and have the phone play. A couple of things I have noticed --- it really drains the iPhone5 battery more than anything else I have done. Fortunately the car has a USB jack so I can charge. Also, it occasionally has hiccups. These are exactly what happened with my bluetooth headphones I took back. Starts dropping out then eventually goes completely. Resetting the connection either by the phone or turning off and on the car seems to correct it (makes me wonder if that is all I had to do with my headphones).

2. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

My wife has it on her Focus and uses it all the time. Makes me jealous, because my Fiat 500 has bluetooth, but for phone only. As for issues, I do know that sometimes the car seems to forget that a BT device was connected, but the Ford Sync stuff just usually needs a kick in the pants to call up the BT Audio commands and start over.

3. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

For Bluetooth audio I noticed my iPhone 4s would drop out all the time, but when I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 I notice the Bluetooth almost never drops out or has any issues. I"m curious if the Apple Bluetooth transmitter is just weaker than other phones?

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

I think its not actually a transmission issue rather than a bug in their protocol. I notice it almost always happens when I do something on the phone to change the playlist or change the source rather than doing from the Bluetooth device.

One other thing I noticed is that Slacker works like shit with the Bluetooth. Almost never automatically engages. Not really surprising as Slacker barely works period. If you start the playing it will usually engage but because you have to start it from the phone, it has the dropout issue.

But it could be a weaker transmitter too. I notice I only have 1 or 2 bars which seems to work but is probably weak.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I think it also matters which version of Bluetooth that each devices has too. I've had some issues when the two devices have different version of Bluetooth even though the standard should be backwards compatible.

I actually purchased the bluetooth add on for my JVC head unit. Its nice that when I get in the vehicle that they just connect and I can then listen to any music app I want.

So, IRBS did what music program did you use other than Slacker that worked better? I find Spotify to work very well with Bluetooth. I agree with your assessment of Slacker!

6. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

Amazon MP3 works really good for music over blue-tooth.

Slacker won't pass the Artist/Title information on Android.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

Just the iOS Music app. Seemed to be pretty stable once I knew what not to do. I discovered by accident that the car also has an iPod interface when you plug in the USB charger to the phone from the USB charger in the car. It gives you some more control. This ironically worked well with Slacker for the most part. If I switched to the BlueTooth audio the car or phone became confused (for whatever music program was playing) and the only way to get music back was to unplug the USB and plug it in again (short of turning off the car and rebooting the whole stereo to get BlueTooth working again).

Overall, I will really miss these features when the car goes back tomorrow. I wound up only listening to the AT40 countdown on SXM on the way back. If I have a similar car next year, I won't even bother hooking up the SL2.

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

My Son, picked up a little bluetooth aux-input. It just plugs directly into the aux-input of any radio. It immediately syncs when you get in the car and the audio quality is very good. We took a trip together over the weekend and listened for 2 solid hours going and then coming back. No loss in sound quality.

You may want to consider something that.

9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I had it on a Toyota Camry I rented while the truck was in the body shop. I get in the car with bluetooth on and it automatically connected. Also played Slacker Radio and iTunes radio and took cars hands free. My next new car WILL have this feature.

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I made sure my new head unit had BT. When I get in the car my phone is connected to the head unit, my OBDII dongle and my phone. It plays music, displays engine data and takes calls. Pretty amazing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I can see doing it for my next ride. I spend more time behind the wheel now, so it would come in much more handy.