BlackBerry Torch 9800

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by Snoozer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Snoozer

Snoozer Well-Known Member

2. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I saw that. It's sexy. But I have some mixed feelings about it. While it's awesome for a Blackberry addict like me, if you are walking around with a new Andriod or iPhone 4 device, you are going to look at that low res screen and say, "huh?" Plus, the processor is the same as the one in the current Tour/Bold...time for an upgrade there. And maybe 1GB of memory instead of 512MB? I'm just saying...they need to be a little forward thinking here.

3. Snoozer

Those things confused me as well, the hardware specs and screen res. I'm not sure what RIM was / is thinkiing. I have a Bold 9000 right now and it serves me well though I'd love a device with Blackberry 6. I think eventually I'll upgrade to this but thats a long way away.
    I love the keyboard too much to switch to anything else I can't stand the on screen keyboards. I'm worried in 4 or 5 yrs you won't be able to get a real keyboard on anything.

4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

You are probably on to something. Maybe this is sort of a "transitional" device that eases the hard keyboard users into a soft keyboard. My guess is that if the soft keyboard is half as good as some of the reviewers indicate, lots of people will end up not using the hard keyboard all that much one they overcome the learning curve. I'm on Verizon now, but this device has me thinking about AT&T a little bit. Once the demo units are in the stores, I'll go and fondle one.

5. Snoozer

I can't wait to try it out either. Of course I'm in Canada so we're getting it later. You'd think working for Bell and sometimes close with RIM (Setting up fibre and equipment on their campuses in Waterloo) would have some clout but nope. We got to wait like everyone else. :(

6. MM

MM Administrator

I'm not interested in this one, especially because it's on AT&T. From what I read it could barely handle 6.0. My Storm 1 won't even get 6.0 which sucks.

7. Snoozer

I've heard that as well about it. I also hear though that the demo everyone tried was the same phone and no one was closing any apps on it so it was running everything at once.
    I'm not saying its true just something I read. I'm also hesitant because of this issue. I'm going to wait until its been out in the wild for a few months and we get some real world use reviews.
    Also, in Canada every 3G network carrier is getting it so we have choice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

Well I just got one from Telus. I am charging the battery as we speak. On a three year contract it was $149.99 but they had a special for $75 off so I paid net $75 plus taxes plus $24 for a case and screen protector for a total of $112 Canadian

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Sounds like a great deal. Let us know what you think!!

10. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

I have had the Torch for a couple days now and still learning about it. I may sign up for the Telus Learning Centre which gives me an hour "lesson" to find out everything it can do. I have downloaded a few apps already like TSN, the Weather Network and the NHL. It has a 4 gig memory card for music/pics etc and a 5mp camera with a flash and I have to admit I like the slide out keyboard better than the touch screen one.

I was going to download the Sirius app but 1) it's not available for the Torch and b) Sirius NASCAR Radio won't be on it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010