Blackberry 8310 Question

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by bsummers12, Dec 23, 2010.

1. bsummers12

bsummers12 Member

Ok I already know I'm behind times with this model but it has been working good up until recently.

Hopefully someone here on DRC can help me out since the ATT geeks can't. Here's the deal....I was sitting here the other evening and my phone began beeping alerting me that I was getting texts. It must've beeped at least 20 times and I thought WTF is going on. So I checked it out and I was getting texts from 4 months ago and the deal where the signal bars are went from GSM to Edge. Now I have 2 arrows like I'm downloading a file.

I took the phone to the local ATT store, contacted ATT online chat and they claim that I am downloading an upgrade to the 8310 software. How many days does it take to complete a download? It's been 2 1/2 already.

Has anyone experienced this before?

2. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Go to the carrier's website and download the update from there. Then install it using BB Desktop Manager or Loader.exe

Over the air updates can run 100MB, and can cause problems. Doing the update over the USB cable is the best way to do that.

Start here to find the OS file: Phone and Device Support | Learn how to setup and use your cell phone | AT&T

BTW, what OS are you on?

3. bsummers12

bsummers12 Member

Thanks Limegrass I'll have to check that out. I believe my OS is Research In Motion.

4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Right...but usually there is a version #... like 4.7 or 5.0.

5. MM

MM Administrator

I tried updating my father in laws Tour on Verizon over the air once. After a few hours I gave up.

It is much easier downloading he file and using BlackBerry Manager as stated earlier.

Let us know how it goes.

6. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Once you've downloaded the file to your computer, it takes about 30 minutes to do an upgrade (more or less depending on how long it takes for your handheld to reboot).

OTA upgrades can take 2-3 hours or more depending on how long it takes to download. I would not recommend it. Most people don't have the patience for that, and sometimes things go wrong. It's an overnight process, assuming it does not get hung.

Let us know how you do.

7. bsummers12

bsummers12 Member

Finally got it. I downloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager and then downloaded the software upgrade. Took maybe 45 minutes to do the whole thing. It must've been really behind times.

Thanks for the help guys and have a Merry Christmas.

8. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Great news! Glad it worked for you.

9. bigdaddyII

bigdaddyII Member

Dont feel bad about being behind the times bro. I just upgraded from my 8330 2 days ago.