Best way to hard wire s100 dock?

devicemanager

Oct 21, 2008
I was wondering if anyone knows a way that I could hard wire my S100 dock to my car. I would like to keep the cig nighter piece attached in the event that I need to use it in anohter car. Is this possible?

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
I realize the newer units run on 5v, but what would happen if you cut off the cigarette lighter and hardwired it directly to the fusebox?
Would it mess up the unit ?
I just bought a Starmate 5 and was wondering the same thing since it runs on 5v.

My old sportster i just hacked off the cig lighter and put it right to the fusebox and grounded the black wire.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
I realize the newer units run on 5v, but what would happen if you cut off the cigarette lighter and hardwired it directly to the fusebox?
Would it mess up the unit ?
I just bought a Starmate 5 and was wondering the same thing since it runs on 5v.

My old sportster i just hacked off the cig lighter and put it right to the fusebox and grounded the black wire.

You run a significant chance of ruining the radio, by cutting the cigarette adapter. The hardwire kit allows for the proper voltage and fuses the line.

The older radios you could do that, but without a fuse you run a risk to the radio.

hitechmarty

May 5, 2009
I went to RadShack and got a cig socket with a pigtail. Just patch it in behind the dash wire tie it up and save a few bucks

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
I went to RadShack and got a cig socket with a pigtail. Just patch it in behind the dash wire tie it up and save a few bucks

marty
out of curiosity do you have the radio shack part number ?
Also did you tie in the new cig socket and pigtail into the exisiting cig lighter wiring or did you put it straight to the fuse box accessory lead?

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
Marty
Thanks for the suggestion above.
I went to Walmart and found an accessory socket for $4.95.
It came with a mounting bracket so I bolted it to my power door lock module under the dash.
So everything is real nice and secure under there and out of the way.

Worked out great.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
The voltage regulator that steps the power down from 12v to 5v is in the end of the power cord. If you cut it off and hard wire it, you'll be sending 12v to 5v radio. Obviously that would be bad.