Best Closing Tracks on an Album

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Just looking at this list

...for a discussion elsewhere on line, and saw some pretty good candidates for best closing track on any rock album. My personal favorite, 'Won't Get Fooled Again' by the Who, which between Baba O'Riley as the starting track and 'Won't Get Fooled Again' as the closer, is a hell of a way to bookend 'Who's Next'.

What say you?

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
43. Rage Against The Machine - 'Freedom'
12. Led Zeppelin - 'When the Levee Breaks'
4. Nine Inch Nails - 'Hurt'
3. Prince - 'Purple Rain'

Excellent song, excellent closer

49. Kendrick Lamar - 'HiiiPoWer'
48. System of a Down - 'Aerials'
30. Dire Straits - 'Brothers In Arms'
18. Guns N' Roses - 'Rocket Queen'
9. Radiohead - 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'
7. The Rolling Stones - 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'

Good song, good closer

13. The Clash - 'Train in Vain'
6. The Who - 'Won't Get Fooled Again'

Great song, not sure if it makes a good closer

15. The Doors - 'The End'

We all know I can't stand this band, but appropriate and well-chosen as an album closer

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Not a closer, but on Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" CD tagged onto the end of "Running Down A Dream" is Tom Petty spoken word saying: "Hello CD listeners. We've come to the point in the album where those listening on cassette or records will have to stand up or sit down and turn over the record or tape. In fairness to those listeners we will now take a few seconds before we begin side 2. <pause> Thank you. Here's side 2."

On all my cassette imitating playlists, I put this little excerpt between side 1 & side 2.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Well I agree with #2 and #1. The Beatles' "A Day in the Life" is a great closer, especially with the sustained final chord. And Nirvana's "All Apologies" is so powerful, I actually cried while listening, following the death of Cobain.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Good thread idea. That list is OK I guess, but I'm only familiar with the 2 above, and a few more, such as the Dire Straits. But here's what immediately came to mind for me; I've always thought of this as a great closing song. I will come up with more in due time.

Suzanne Vega - Song of Sand (final track of 99.9 F)

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Venus In Overdrive (2008) is one of two of Rick Springfield albums I listen to start to finish. The opening track and lead single "What's Victoria's Secret" earned him a lawsuit threat. He told Songfacts: "We told them to go fuck themselves." My favorite song on it is the title track - it rocks! "Mr PC" and "Three Warning Shots" are real good too.

The album's last track was written about a fan’s daughter who passed away at 13 years old of a brain tumor. It's poignant album closer.

I first met Sahara when she was 5 years old, and her mom had been a fan of mine when she was a little girl. And she started bringing Sahara to the shows. I love kids anyway, but I remember she stood out because there was just such an incredible spirit. I just really fell in love with her, and started hanging out with her and her mom. She charmed the whole band, and anyone who met her – her teachers were falling all over her. She used to come out to Vegas when I was working out there, and the three of us would pal around, and she was just really an amazing kid. And absolutely out of nowhere she got this really, really aggressive brain tumor. She was a sports girl, so much energy, and the last person you would ever think that something like this would happen to. It was like happening to someone in my own family, it was so close. I did some benefits for her, and visited her, and it got pretty bad towards the end, and one day she died. I’m still in shock.

• Sad
Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I like Loves Me Like A Rock, the final track on Paul Simon's There Goes Rhymin' Simon album. It was the second single released from the album. It features the Dixie Hummingbirds and reached #2 on the Hot 100 and number one on the adult contemporary chart in October 1973.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I found another one. This is the very moving final track from the Foo Fighters' album "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace"

Foo Fighters - Home

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
How could they make a list and not include Abbey Road? The side 2 medley is the be-all-and-end-all of album endings. It even ends with "The End". There's a hidden track that follows, the 23 second "Her Majesty", but that doesn't count. Here it is with the hidden track included
0:00 - You Never Give Me Your Money
4:02 - Sun King
6:29 - Mean Mr. Mustard
7:35 - Polythene Pam
8:45 - She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
10:45 - Golden Slumbers
12:18 - Carry That Weight
13:53 - The End
16:14 - Her Majesty

The Beatles - Medley from Abbey Road

Listener

Mar 21, 2023
San Fernando
Wikipedia says "Her Majesty" was originally part of the medley, between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam." Paul did not like it so it was cut and put at the end of the album.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I believe it was during an interview with Howard Stern, but Paul addressed the fascination people have with how he brilliantly crafted all these intricate little songs and stitched them together.

He said it was simple; many times he had a song idea. But then he couldn't figure out how to make a full song out of it, with a beginning, verses, a chorus, a bridge, and an ending. So these short songs are just ideas he never fleshed out.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I never knew that about Her Majesty. That explains the abrupt beginning and abrupt ending. Here is another classic "closing track." The news announcer on Simon & Garfunkel's 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night, from the Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme album (1966), is Charlie O'Donnell, a DJ at Pasadena top-40 station KRLA. He also was the announcer for American Bandstand and several game shows.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
From an 80's album most people haven't heard;
Diving For Pearls
Diving For Pearls
The Girl Can't Stop It

It's a perfect ending to a solid 80's era rock album.

Portishead
Glory Box
Dummy

The KLF
Justified And Ancient
The White Room

The Stone Roses
Fools Gold
The Stone Roses

U2
War

Van Halen
Happy Trails
Diver Down
Van Halen - Diver Down - Happy Trails

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
From an 80's album most people haven't heard;
Diving For Pearls
Diving For Pearls
The Girl Can't Stop It

It's a perfect ending to a solid 80's era rock album.

Portishead
Glory Box
Dummy

The KLF
Justified And Ancient
The White Room

The Stone Roses
Fools Gold
The Stone Roses

U2
War

Van Halen
Happy Trails
Diver Down
Van Halen - Diver Down - Happy Trails

Good list. I think the U2 album was in the original article.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Good list. I think the U2 album was in the original article.
KZYERVJ.jpeg

I guess I second their vote?