Best Buy will now price match permanently

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Best Buy Says It Has Killed 'Showrooming' For Good

Best Buy is confident that its latest policy change will kill "showrooming" in its stores for good.

Starting on March 3, the retailer will price match all local retail competitors, along with 19 "major online competitors" in all product categories, whenever a customer asks for it, the company announced .

“There is no doubt that this new policy ends showrooming for Best Buy customers,†company spokesman Matt Furman told Bloomberg .

Back during the holiday rush, Best Buy announced a temporary price-matching initiative. This is its permanent version.

Showrooming, the practice of looking at items in a physical store then going online to make the actual purchase, has been a big worry for consumer electronics stores. Customers showroom electronics items more than any other category, according to data from comScore .

Chris Morran at the Consumerist obtained an internal document from Best Buy that announces the change and has more details. Here's what it says:

Starting March 3, 2013 Best Buy will price match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from local retail competitors and select designated major online retailers at the time of purchase only. (No subsequent price matching of competitors is allowed)

If Best Buy lowers a price on a product (online or in-store) we will allow price-matching up to 15 days following the original purchase. This applies to all customers including Reward Zone Premier Silver members. Please note: After a transition period for Reward Zone Premier Silver members through April 18, 2013, the 15 day period of the Price Match policy goes into effect (post-purchase – Best Buy only).

There has also been one major change to Best Buy's return policy.

The "Return and Exchange" period is being cut in half to 15 days from its previous length of 30 days. All returns will still require a receipt and I.D., plus Reward Zone Premier Silver members will retain their 60-day return eligibility.

Here is the full list of big online competitors that are included in the price-matching guarantee:

• Amazon.com
  • Apple.com
  • Bhphotovideo.com
  • Buy.com
  • Crutchfield.com
  • Dell.com
  • Frys.com
  • hhgregg.com
  • HP.com
  • HomeDepot.com
  • Lowes.com
  • Newegg.com
  • OfficeDepot.com
  • OfficeMax.com
  • Sears.com
  • Staples.com
  • Target.com
  • TigerDirect.com
  • Walmart.com

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
PMing Amazon and WM is heady stuff. It might bring me in for a few purchases. Amazon's free shipping and no sales tax options still rule. There use to be a Frys at the local mall so I'm familiar with their stuff. I also like Newegg so is clear BB is trying to hold on before it's too late and they go the way of Circuit City.

TSS Pete

May 10, 2011
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
PMing Amazon and WM is heady stuff. It might bring me in for a few purchases. Amazon's free shipping and no sales tax options still rule. There use to be a Frys at the local mall so I'm familiar with their stuff. I also like Newegg so is clear BB is trying to hold on before it's too late and they go the way of Circuit City.

IMO, Best Buy is the modern day Circuit City. When they actually do have a great sale price on an item, they're out of stock. I only go to Best Buy if I NEED something day of. Other than that, Amazon is the way to go.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
notice how they didn't list THEIR OWN SITE as one they price match. I had to BEG THEM to match their own price last year and they almost wouldn't go through with it.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
notice how they didn't list THEIR OWN SITE as one they price match. I had to BEG THEM to match their own price last year and they almost wouldn't go through with it.

I had the same issue, but at Fry's Electronics where at that time they didn't price match there own website. I don't know, if they still have that issue or not.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I love best buy and think this is a great plan. I live in somewhat of a rural area and Best Buy is really the only local store to shop for electronics. Oddly enough, the Best Buy is in the same building that used to house Circuit City.

I'm sure they vary but most of the employees at my local Best Buy are really nice and go out of their way to help you out.

Glad they are doing this. I buy from Best Buy more than Amazon but, like any good consumer I will go my research before pulling the trigger on an item.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like to buy "local" when I can. I know BB barely qualifies as local no matter how you stretch it. But I'd rather pay a couple of extra bucks to pick it up myself and have a bricks+mortar to return it to if I have problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2