Bbq!

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Just fired up the smoker and put a beef shoulder clod and a Boston butt on. While at the meat market I noticed they had fresh pork belly so I'm gonna try my hand at that tomorrow when the pork comes off. Perfect weather tonight, tending the smoker and enjoying some barley pop. Great night!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: greenearth

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I bought my new grill Friday night and a 5 lb slab of ribs yesterday.
I gave em the dry rub last night, and will put em on the grill low and slow his afternoon.

By the time I got the grill built yesterday, there was only time to grill up some brats to christen it. Still = yum.

Bly, what kind of smoker do you have. I was surprised how inexpensive many of them are.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I want a smoker, but I'm the only member of the Meme Cult who likes smoked meats. I can't really justify the waste it would entail.

When I was a kid my grandfather made smokers out of metal barrels he got at the Shell refinery. They made the best brisket I've ever had, although it was probably quite toxic.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
good god bylons u make me hungry with almost every post. stop f'ing with me!! heheh.:bigthumbup:

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I have a weber smokey mountain smoker. They are 299 but are totally worth the money. I've have 2 of them, both for well over 10 years and they are still in top shape. I bought mine when they were 199. I have mor pics to share but I'm traveling right now. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001I8ZTJ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1369706729&sr=8-1&pi=SL75]Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-1/2-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black:Amazon:patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
I own a Char-Griller, minus the smoker. My dad had it for several years, until he passed away. Now I own it and I enjoy grilling some good food for my friends and family.

Last edited:

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Meme: My Culinary hero Alton Brown made his own smoker from some terra cotta pots.

Here is a video of one that someone did:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydLWYGoJA]Alton Brown's Ceramic Flower Pot Smoker - YouTube[/ame]

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yum.

I'm still getting used to my new grill. The ribs were OK, but I've done better. I'm doing them again soon. My beer can chicken was awesome, and my stuffed burgers were top notch. Kebabs and grilled corn on the cob tonight.
Lots of rain this week dammit. Last year sucked and I didn't have much time to grill. I'm trying to make up for it now.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
Couple years ago, I tried a Carolina BBQ Whopper at BK. To me the sauce was alright, but I know it wasn't the real deal. So I bought couple of store versions of it and it tasted a bit better. So today, I tried to create my own version of Carolina BBQ Sauce it wasn't that bad. I probably put to much apple cider vinegar in it, but then threw in some extra dried mustard and killed the vinegar taste. My recipe version is still a work in progress. But I'm looking forward pouring some on my grilled burgers later tonight.

Does blyons or somebody make your own version of BBQ sauce?

Attachments

Last edited:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Wolf, I lived in eastern North Carolina for four years and could refer you to some recipes, but it's easier just to buy from here:

George's BBQ Sauces | Nashville, NC

Made in Nash County, NC, in the heart of eastern North Carolina. We use it all the time and it's authentic eastern North Carolina barbecue sauce.

Also, never call it "pulled pork" (which sounds to me like a personal problem) or "chopped pork" or anything similar. No one in North Carolina calls it anything but "barbecue."

I'd get a three-pack of the original, slow-cook a pork butt or shoulder on the grill, hack it up and add the sauce to the meat in a big bowl. You just need enough sauce so that there's none puddling in the bottom of the bowl. (i.e., you won't need even a whole bottle)

Also, it goes on a plain white hamburger bun with cole slaw and Texas Pete. The cole slaw is basically cabbage, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar and celery seed. The celery seed is the key. NO carrots. DO NOT use Tabasco sauce. That's made in Louisiana which is full of crazy swamp people. Texas Pete is made in Winston-Salem, NC and is the only acceptable hot sauce to use.

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I do indeed make my own BBQ sauces. I make a true eastern North Carolina style which is vinegar based. I make another that is a thin vinegar/mustard base. I also make Memphis and KC styles at home but my favorite for pork is the Carolina styles.Eastern style vinegar sauces are all pretty much the same so I'll give ya mine, but my mustard one has a lot more to it that only me and one other person know.
2 cups of cider vinegar (the real stuff, no knock off "flavored" kind)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons Kosher salt (table salt can be substituted at half the amount)
2-3 tablespoons of red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of ground cayenne

Mix well (shake it up in a mason jar) and let it sit at least overnight, a week is better, no refrigeration necessary.

When I make pork BBQ I usually use a Boston Butt, when it's done I shred it and put it in a big bowl. For a 10 pounder I use about 2/3 cup of the vinegar sauce and 1 and 1/3 cup of warm water. Mix it all up well and put that in a crock pot to keep warm. After that folks can add whatever they want. Be it more vinegar sauce, mustard sauce, KC style, or none at all! I don't know if that would be good on a burger though. I also make a Western Carolina slaw made with cabbage, vinegar, and Ketchup!

Reactions: greenearth

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
I put some of my Carolina BBQ Sauce on my burgers tonight and couple of my friends also added it on theirs and they liked it. I plan on trying added it onto some ribs down the road.

Casual, I don't plan on buying anymore BBQ sauces down the road. I'll try that sauce one day blyons. Thanks for your guys suggestions!

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I'm in Charlotte so I drove up to Lexington to chow down on some central Carolina BBQ. It's similar to Eastern style but they usually just do shoulders instead of whole hog and sometimes use a tiny bit of tomato in their sauces, but still pretty thin and vinegary. Lexington is one the best.

Attachments

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm road tripping to Lake Lure outside Asheville, NC in July. Any advice for a good place to sample some of what passes for barbecue around there?