Avatar Theme Week 425 - Mr. Koopman

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It's picture time! I know everyone's favorite thing in the world is a slideshow so I'll make it brief.

Here are my parents on their wedding day in the very early 1980's:

Now if you ever wondered where my love of Disney comes from, it was instilled in me at a very young age. I think I'm 3 or 4 here so it must be around 1987:

My Mom was the one big on Disney and my Dad went along but I'm pretty sure he had a good time too. Here they are on a Disney cruise somewhere around 2005:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's picture time! I know everyone's favorite thing in the world is a slideshow so I'll make it brief.

Here are my parents on their wedding day in the very early 1980's:

Now if you ever wondered where my love of Disney comes from, it was instilled in me at a very young age. I think I'm 3 or 4 here so it must be around 1987:

My Mom was the one big on Disney and my Dad went along but I'm pretty sure he had a good time too. Here they are on a Disney cruise somewhere around 2005:

If I remember correctly, your mom was a professor or something like that? Did you mention how they met?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
If I remember correctly, your mom was a professor or something like that? Did you mention how they met?
She was an intern or an entry-level employee at Smith Kline and French (Now GlaxoSmithKline) when my Dad was working as a chemist. Funny story, my Dad had some balls in his 50's. Story goes he told my Mom, after she announced she was getting married to her first husband, that he would marry her some day. Not sure that was the exact timing but he definitely did make that proclamation while she was already with her first husband.

She went on to get her masters (she went to both Penn and Temple) and then taught at Textile University (now called Thomas Jefferson University) and Gwynedd Mercy University. While at Gwynedd she was working on her PhD and that's when she had her first (of what would become many) heart attack. She eventuially had to retire on disability because of it but still managed to complete her PhD in business administration. I was at her graduation for that. It's a shame she was not able to put it to use but noble that she was able to get it done.

Back to Hendrik and Smith Kline. That was the first job he got off the boat from The Netherlands. He literally started out cleaning the shit from the cages for the test animals; dogs, monkeys, mice etc. He then went to Penn State and got his chemistry degree and made it his career. Not sure exactly how long he was with them but it was around 35+ years. At the end he semi-retired and they pretty much let him come in whenever he wanted. He would do two or three days a week for a few years before he finally fully retiring and maybe two years later they moved down to Boca.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
No, my Mom didn't have kids with the first husband. She was only married for a couple years and apparently he was a scumbag...like domestic abuse shit went down. It was bad enough that my Mom managed to get it annulled and have the the Catholic church recognize the annulment which apparently isn't easy. I was the first for my Dad, who was rather old when he had me a 56. Gotta give the old guy credit though, he would haul his 60+ year old ass to parks with me to play tennis or throw a ball around or go play in the snow in the winter and pool in the summer.

Interesting side note. When I was old enough to start going to church and participating in activities there...probably around 90 or so...my Mom decided to quit being Catholic. Even before the major scandals became mainstream people must have known about the abuse because she quit to make sure a priest would never get the chance to bang me. We became Methodist. My Dad was never religious and just went along with her wishes (happy wife happy life) and I was into it until about 16 when I became completely atheist. Nowadays, while I don't go to church, I have thought about a rather a lot as I've posted around here, so I'm not atheist anymore.

I almost had an older sister. My mom carried her to term and she was stillborn. She was named Sally after one of my Mom's sisters who is down here now helping me figure everything out around here. She and her husband Paul, are my Godparents.

I'll take one if you got em in spades though.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Is everything going ok? There's the planning for the services, sorting out the apartment, and all of that other stuff. I know he had a lot of stuff worked out, but it can still be overwhelming.