Are there any timelines on Slacker in Canada?

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by IdRatherBeSkiing, Dec 15, 2008.

1. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I know that it is not here yet. I believe the last time I asked the question (in a different thread) the response from a Slacker employee was they were working on it.

Does anyone know when this breakthrough might be expected? I am becoming impatient. :)

2. I find most companies don't specify dates. I am sure Slacker has a long line of Canadian big wigs in the music industry they have to trample through. To get the green light. Who handles the Canadian music licensing stuff ? Slacker certainly will need to work with that organization.
    Some have suggested using a proxy, but I have not seen this confirmed as a doable workaround.

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I would think initially it would require that they work out agreements with the music labels for service in Canada. This would of course require them to make a concentrated effort and see that Canada would be worth it in terms of the number of subscribers. Also once you spread into areas outside the USA the advertising doesn't necessary cover that area so they also have to recruit advertisers in Canada or at least get advertisers that do business in botht he US and Canada.

I don't know I didn't get a sense that this was a very high priority for them right now. I think they are concentrating on the solidifying the US market right now. They are also probably looking at Sirius and XM thinking hmm, I bet they wish they had never gone into that market.

Plus in Canada they have to be approved to do business their and I remember when Sirius and XM went through that process it seem to take a long time.

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

Proxy would probably work for desktop. But I would want the G2 and that certainly would not work.

They are an internet app not a broadcast app so the CRTC approval is not necessary. Is Slacker approved by the FCC? The general rule is that anything which requires FCC approval in the states would require CRTC approval in Canada.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I am pretty sure all their equipment is FCC approved, but I can't honestly say. It seems most electronics these day get FCC approval for various reason.

The service itself it would just likely be a matter of music labels approving.

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

I think your FCC also does the job of the CSA as well. Usually if something has FCC approval, the CSA will rubberstamp the approval. If it goes into the broadcasting part of the FCC mandate, the CRTC steps in and mucks things up.