Anyone have a Kindle?

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

After the iPhone my gadget buying budget is shot for a few months, but Kindle and a 120GB iPod to replace my old 80GB is next on the list.

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow 4 Kindles, that is a lot dough! 2 for yourself and your wife, you guys must read a lot! ROTFLOL!

I know, I know, just being a smart ass!

Let us know how you like them give us a review!

3. I still love mine and figure I've saved a lot on books because new releases are $9.99 and some older books are as low as $4.99. I think my favorite feature is when I finish one book no matter where I am - in bed at 10:30 at night or at the beach or whatever I just visit the kindle store and within a few seconds I have a brand new book to read. One of the best investments I've made:bigthumbup:

4. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

I'm really torn on the kindle. I read a fair amount (usually at least a book a week) but I kind of like walking into a Barnes and Noble or whatever and browsing the bookstore. I guess I could still do this adn then just order them off my kindle but I don't know.

I recognize the coolness of this device and its practicality but I think I'm going to pass.

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The DRM is still a deal killer. I read a review that said you have to pay $.10 to upload your own documents to it. That's insane.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

Yeah, I didn't phrase that very well, did I? I haven't used mine much but my wife is halfway through her first book and really loves it. I'm in the middle of a "real" book right now so I'll get to mine soon. One of the great things about it is being able to change the font size, makes it easy to read for those of us with "old" eyes. Another nice feature is that since both Kindles are registered to my Amazon account when I buy a book it gets downloaded to both our Kindles so it makes it easy to share books. The cover that Amazon sells for it, which I think they should include like they did with Kindle 1, attaches very securely to the Kindle 2 and it has just enough weight to it so it seems like your reading a regular book, a book that only has text on the right side. You can also fold it over and easily hold it in one hand.

7. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Thank you for that mini review, it sounds great! You know I was just kidding with you on the number you ordered! :)

I like the fact that you can adjust the text size as the older I get the more happy I am with larger text. hehehe

WOW, nice move!

9. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Jimmy Fallon just did a very supportive mention of the kindle on the Stern show this morning. He was showing off the feature of playing the audio of a book.

10. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I thought Amazon killed that feature after the publishers threatened to sue?

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

I knew you you just kidding, I should have put a smilie face after the first sentence in my reply. ;)

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

They didn't do away with the text to speech. They agreed to allow the author/publisher to decide on a book-by-book basis whether to enable it. In it's present form it's not that great. It does wacky things like reading a period at the end of a sentence as "dot" and run sentences together. I'm sure they'll be able to improve it in the future.

13. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Ahh, I understand, thanks.