Another Stiletto 2 Tip

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by SSF, Jan 5, 2009.

1. SSF

SSF Member

I know I have addressed the first part but I also wanted to bring to your attention a second component to ensuring an excellent experience with your Stiletto 2!

The easiest way for people to avoid any problems with your radio is to perform a Full Shutdown at least once a month. More frequently if you record a lot of programs. During full reboots, the device will go out and clean up old and expired recordings (both scheduled recordings and Radio Replays).

Use Radio Replays sparingly and closely monitor the space you use. Because the space used for Radio Replays isn’t included in the Memory Usage percentage, I think many users get a false sense about how much room there is on the device. This becomes a problem when they then create several large recordings (like Howard), and the device doesn’t properly free up the space used by the replays.

2. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Will the recordings automatically "spill over" onto the external memory card?

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

No! The microSD card is only for your own content.

HCLogo likes this.
  4. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Can't manually move recorded shows over?

5. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

NO. Recorded shows will only show up on the internal memory. In order for you to move them over you would need a program on your computer to convert them in real time to MP3 and then you could move them to you memory card. Yes, that is a lot of work.

As far as the original post goes, I do a hard shut down at least once per day. I used to never do a shut down and I would experience a lot of freezing and restarting when moving from dock to dock, especially when taking it ouf of my home boombox listening to WIFI to my car dock and listening on satelitte. Ever since I've been shutting down in between, I've had no problems.

The more you do shut downs, the more stable your unit will be. Once a day is probably excessive but unless you've got a scheduled recording overnight, I'd shut it down before you go to bed.

HCLogo likes this.
  6. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

I find the radio replays annoying. I turned them off.

To me, it's much better to just scedule recordings of music channels and erase and refresh as desired.

7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive New Member

One difference between my SL100 in my work truck and the SL2 in my wife's truck is that the SL100 stays asleep enough over the weekend that it reboots every Monday morning for me while the SL2 gets used everyday and only reboots when it starts having troubles and I force it to. It definitely helps to do regular shut downs. I wish they had an option to make it reboot like once a week or something automatically.

My SL100 works much, much better than the SL2 I have.

8. UncleScam

UncleScam Member

while this is a good tip for system stability, it WILL NOT address the long-standing memory corruption issue.

9. sd

I think ZAP could fix that problem...

10. Overdrive -how?does it work better???

11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Not going to happen, they can't even produce a ZAP update to provide the latest channel icons and wallpaper and you want them to provide the ability for the SL2 to write data to the microSD card? :rofl2:

12. SSF

SSF Member

They will fix it

I believe that considering the SL2 is the primary portable for Sirius at the moment with no replacement until possibly quarter 3 2009 I believe they will end up fixing this issue once and for all.

In fact I would bet on it.

:agree:

It would certainly result in more subscribers.

:big:

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Tell you what you got a lot more faith in them than most of us subscribers. What was the last SL2 update August? I hope you are right, but I am not holding my breath. I mean the SL100 hasn't had an update, well 1/23/09 will be 1 year.

You just can't provide this type support for these radios and expect folks to keep sinking money into them. I won't ever buy another Sirius Radio spending that kind of money EVER again until the fix their support issues.

How hard would it have been to at least offer up a ZAP that would have provided the latest channel icons and wallpaper even if you didn't address any issues? How hard is it to post a technical bulletin saying we have received reports of recording issues and are currently investigating them and once we track it down we'll have an update to address it? Why can't they just be proactive this would go along way with subscribers. Instead it is more like if we don't say anything, if we don't acknowledge there are any problems, maybe it will just go away.

I've had my Slacker Radio for going on 3 months now and we've had 3 updates already. They have a real group of support staff that work with folks to solve problems and acknowledge the problems and send the reports to the staff that can fix them.

14. SSF

SSF Member

I would provide that feedback to Customer Support. I really think that Sirius XM is working hard to improve multiple areas of it's operation including it's customer/technical service and especially in listening to subscriber feedback.

I don't know if I necessarily have more "faith" then other subscribers but am simply just optimistic from what I've been seeing and hearing over the past several months.

Don't you remember the day you first started enjoying Sirius? How exciting it was and how darn cool the receivers were? Back then customer support was aweful and tech support was practically nonexistent in my experience. But it didn't matter because it was amazing to be a part of the satellite radio movement. I guess I still feel the same way I did the day I subscribed.

For the one memory flaw the SL2 is facing it's totally outweighed by the massive amount of positives the device offers to me. :)

IdRatherBeSkiing likes this.
  15. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Oh I remember the early days very well and the problem it is nothing like the early days now. Back then there was a real sense of excitement and hope. Now that has all but been snuffed out and replaced with OH GOD what are they going to screw up next.

I honestly see nothing they have done in the last several months or weeks that give me any hope that things are changing. They are bringing back 2 channels that they shouldn't have removed to begin with. The playlist are getting thinner and thinner by each passing day. Support is still non existence and instead of them improving upon keeping subscribers informed, it has only gotten worse. The recent channel change is the most recent evidence of this.

The SL2 is an okay device, but with the channel icons and wallpapers not updated, the ongoing memory issues it truly doesn't bode well as any kind of indication that things are improving. I hope they do come through and address these issues, they need to. I am not optimistic in fact I'd say I am more cynical then anything because to me actions speak a lot louder than lack thereof. I am too the point now where when I see someone say things will get better I think that is more in line with wishful thinking than reality.

I am excited about Radio again, but unfortunately it is with Slacker and not sat radio. Here is hoping that your optimism well net some fruit. I had it for 8 years, but I've given it up because honestly I am tired.

16. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Member

I'm a former sl100 owner (until it died), and a current sl2 owner. I'm a huge Sirius fan. This situation with supporting these devices is ridiculous. I say this hoping you folks at tss can somehow get through to these people, how frustrated we as subscribers are. CS experience has gone from poor to unbearable. It generally consists of talking to someone who can't speak English, who's only suggestion when you have trouble is to return the product and exchange it. Not the first impression you wanna make on a subscriber. SL2 owners are frustrated because they made a large investment in satrad equipment, and Sirius doesn't seem to care that it has well documented problems. I really think, that they are so incompetent, that they are afraid any fix they release will create more problems, because I'm fairly sure a previous update introduced the memory problem. I hope you are right, and they are trying to turn a corner, but I can tell you for a certain fact, that that isn't the perception from the subscriber end.

17. UncleScam

UncleScam Member

i agree with much of what you've said.

the memory issue was there from day one, tho - it is a software problem, but it's existed since the initial firmware release.

i do hope sirius begins to take SL2 owners seriously - and maybe even fix some of the problems.

18. Allanon

Allanon Member

Hi, SSF!

Thanks a lot, for the tip. I do a lot of recording. Usually, I would have to reset my SL2 within at most 2 weeks, due to corruption. For the last 3 weeks, I've been shutting down the SL2 daily, and, guess what... No lost recording, no corruption, no problems!

Great tip!

19. SSF

SSF Member

Great news! :bigthumbup:

20. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive New Member

The SL2 sometimes records half of a song or looses a song that was recorded after a few weeks. It also doesn't always do replays right. We've left it on overnight on a station before and it didn't save one minute of it. There are other bugs that I can't think of right now. The SL100 doesn't exhibit any of that. It works flawlessly all of the time.