Android update

Discussion in 'Android' started by semipenguin, Dec 21, 2013.

1. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Got an Android update this morning. This should be fun :popcorn:

2. Jimr

Jimr Member

What version is it taking you to? I love 4.4.2.

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

My phone says Android Version 4.3 :)

4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Semi, what Android device you running? My GN3 came with 4.3, though there was a minor update to 4.3 that I got, not sure what that was about. Still learning this Android stuff.

5. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I have a Galaxy S3 :)

It seems to be running good, except it keeps saying my moon landing pic is finished downloading :(

6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Unfortunately with android, we're at the mercy of the phone companies to give us the updates for our phones. They load so much of their crap-ware, and they would rather make you buy a new phone than give you more than one (2 if you're lucky) updates.

7. Jimr

Jimr Member

That is why all Android users should buy Nexus phones. I have never had a non-Nexus Android device. Several phones have intrigued me but I can't get away from stock Android and support for several future major Android updates.

8. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

That's a good idea :)

I would really like an iPhone next time. I have 10 months to decide :hhh:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Mines up in June. I was looking at the Sammy's, but the Max battery life us still way too killer.

Sent from Tapatalk.

10. squigy0

squigy0 Member

A friend just got this update and also reported the download indicator coming back again AND his flash goes off when somebody texts him. :p

11. Jimr

Jimr Member

From what I hear Droids have a very minimal overlay from the manufacturer. My nephew's doesn't look very stock to me but I have never seen other manufacturer's software so I have nothing to compare it to other than stock Android. My nephew swears by the Droid Max phones.

12. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

I've still got 2.3 :)

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Mine updated to 4.1.2 a few weeks ago. I was surprised that VZW bothered to give it a second update. They seem to give one update then try to get you to buy a new phone.

14. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

No updates for me. I had my phone rooted to get rid of all the AT&T bloatware so I am stuck here until I were to get a new phone.

15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If you rooted, can't you find the update yourself?

Getting rid of all of VZW's bloat is the only reason that I consider rooting. Finding the time to do it is about the only reason I haven't.

16. Jimr

Jimr Member

I'm not sure what type of phone you have but you can probably get a clean AOSP build for your phone, with Android 4.4.2.

17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I am still waiting on AT&T and Samsung to drop 4.4.2 which should happen sometimes this month according to rumors. I really just got my phone how I like it. I am using Nova launcher which is better than touchwiz I have also managed to turn off about 90% of the crap added by AT&T and Samsung.

Could not be happier at this point.

18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm looking into the Nova Launcher. I never bothered to look into options to rooting. Thanks.

Sent from Tapatalk.

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Nova Launcher does not require rooting. I really have no reason to root.

Sent from Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If it can help me clear some of the bloat, I don't have a reason to root either.
    And I'm too lazy to bother rooting anyone.