Android Tablets (vs Windows) (vs iPad)

Discussion in 'Android' started by semipenguin, Oct 6, 2013.

1. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Ok, so I'm looking at getting a tablet. The Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is coming out soon. Cost is $600 for the 32GB model.

The Google Nexus 10 looks nice. Cost is $500.

Can't get any information on the Windows Tablet. Every time I go to the website, it asks me to log into my Outlook account. I don't have an Outlook account :(

The new iPad comes out next year.

I'm leaning toward an Android device.

Anyone have any input on this?

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I've got an android tablet, an ipad through work, and I got the Mrs an ipad.
    There are trade-offs between them. Some things work better on each platform. I still lean towards the Droid for a few reasons. I like being in control of my files, and being able to use usb ports and sd cards. I think they are easier to use if you are doing anything more than email and surfing. I like the (generally) lower price too.

Haven't used a windows tablet to be able to comment.

3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The Windows RT tablet is a dead product. It will be abandoned. Windows Pro tablets are Windows laptops in tablet form. Great if you want Windows, but not ideal for tablet use. Battery life sucks, apps are really designed for keyboards and mice, etc.

I've got an Android phone, and I could probable enjoy an Android tablet, but I picked an iPad because of the apps, and I have stuck with it because of a few key design decisions. iPad has the most apps, and arguably the best apps. iOS forces its apps to conserve battery life better, and they tend to be more responsive. And I use my iPad for a lot more than email and web surfing.

The new iPad will be out before the end of the year.

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Thanks for the input :)

The one thing I do like about the iPad is that you can find most anything you want for it at any of the big box stores. Product for iPhone and iPad are everywhere :)

5. zevious

zevious Member

Yes, one of the biggest benefits to Apple products. I am sure it's a huge risk to produce products for Android products, that while overall sell a bunch, sell in limited numbers per product and every time you turn around there is a new version of the device with a bigger footprint. Leaving accessory dealers with product they can't sell.

6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Very true. I don't dislike my iPad, it's been treating me well. I just prefer some of the features on my droid tablet that I mentioned. My droid tablet must be about 5 years old now, and is getting close to retirement. I'm still leaning toward a new droid tablet, but haven't picked one. I still want to stretch it out some more. Having the work iPad makes it easy to wait.

7. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Thats how I feel about my Xoom. All my friends with iPads have upgraded because of storage space. My Xoom came with 32gb and a microsd slot. I bought a 64gb card for $39. It does everything I need. The screen is nice and the battery has always been great.

I bought it because of price and options. Microsd cards are way cheaper. I will say my friends with iPads are extremely happy.

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

True true.

The USB ports are my favorite. Dropbox just isn't the same convenience for me. (Which I'm sure can be said about some of the things Apple does better, I suppose.)

9. Jimr

Jimr Member

I'm not sure how well my companies could run without Android tablets AND dropbox. Now that iOS allows drop box to run in the background ensuring that we have nothing but Android tablets isn't that big if a deal but it still helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Dropbox, iCloud, and IFTTT. Haven't missed not having a memory card slot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

A memory card slot on my iPad would be good, but I never miss it. I never miss USB, either.

12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I picked up a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 last week, but I already returned it. I want one and I have nothing bad to say about it. The display is WOW! It's speedy and no lag that I could find. However, being only 16gb, I ran out of space quickly. I did get at 32GB SD card, but come to find out unless you root there isn't that much that can actually be moved to the SD card. My Note 3 has 32 GB and suits me just fine. So, I think I am going to just wait until the release a 32 GB and maybe even a 32 GB LTE if that happens. $10 a month on my data plan and I can share my 10GB plan.

I didn't really care of the new Magazine UX, but I was going to install Nova Launcher anyway, so that doesn't matter. I do like a few things in Kit Kat.

Someone thinking on getting a tablet may want to give some consideration to one of these. They are pricy, but like iPad's. I will say this the iPad still wins when it comes to Apps. Anyone that says other wise is delusional.

13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I saw commercials for the Galaxy Pro 10.something last night. It looks nice :)

Thanks for the review, DAB. I still haven't gotten anything. Maybe soon. $500 is a lot for either, or any ...

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

You are welcome! It is indeed a very nice tablet. I just wish these guys (Samsung, Apple, LG, Sony) would just knock off selling these darn tablets with just 16GB of flash storage. Minimum should be 32 on these devices! Geez!

Just do some research before you jump in. I am trending toward going all Android at this point which is why I wanted an Android tablet. However, I was disappointed with the Apps to some degree. They have made headway and Android by its very nature does a better job than iOS in terms of handling apps that aren't specifically designed for tablets. But what you find is that phone apps that work fine generally just waste so much of the screen. Many of the iOS apps are just so polished and make use of these beautiful screens, plus work in vertical or landscape mode. This is an area where I really wish Android would catch up.

15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

DAB's on the money with that assessment. Like anything, there are pros and cons to each. Apple has the apps, and ecosystem extremely well worked out. Android has an edge on some other fronts. USB and expandable memory are worth their weight in gold for me. The droids have an edge on price too. I tend to grab my work iPad first before I'll grab my personal droid tablet, usually become it's so much faster. (Granted, my droid tablet is around 5 years old.)

At some point, I'll need to upgrade my personal tablet, and will probably go droid again, but it's mostly for the expandable memory, cost, and to keep the apps consistent between my phone and tablet.

Like the man said, do some reading when you're getting ready to buy. The playing field is leveling out somewhat.