AMC suing Dish Network

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Anyone keeping up with this? pretty serious dilema- got really heated up today. Glad I have DirecTV!

AMC is suing Dish for $2.5 billion for dropping the AMC-owned Voom HD Networks from its lineup in 2007. Dish claims Voom failed to live up to its legal obligation to spend $100 million on programming; AMC and Voom says Dish dropped the channels because they felt they could carry other HD channels for less money.

More: Dish-AMC Trial Has Become 3-Ring Circus

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
This is a real mess and it sucked to have to stream The Walking Dead on the AMC website on Sunday.

As a dish subscriber, I called and asked what they could do for me for NOT having AMC. They were really nice and cooperative and when it was all said and done I got $20 per month knocked off my bill for a year and free Showtime for 6 moths. That more than covers the cost of me buying it from Amazon, Itunes or Playstation Store.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
This is a real mess and it sucked to have to stream The Walking Dead on the AMC website on Sunday.

As a dish subscriber, I called and asked what they could do for me for NOT having AMC. They were really nice and cooperative and when it was all said and done I got $20 per month knocked off my bill for a year and free Showtime for 6 moths. That more than covers the cost of me buying it from Amazon, Itunes or Playstation Store.

Huh. New slogan: "We're DISH and we'll pay you to watch TV someplace else!"

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Huh. New slogan: "We're DISH and we'll pay you to watch TV someplace else!"

Yeah, pretty much. They even mentioned that the programmign from AMC is on Netflix, Amazon, Itunes and other places.

The CEO of Dish has said that for as much as AMC wants, Dish Network could buy every episode of The Walking Dead for every Dish Subscriber and give it to them for free and still save money.

I hate it when companies like this squabble because the consumer is the loser BUT I can certainly understand Dish's point of view.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown

I called Directv to say that my bill was too high and they knocked $40 off for a year, gave me NFL Sunday Ticket, and Shwotime and The Movie Channel for a year and I get to keep AMC.

I am a longtime Directv subscriber, went to dish for 6 months years ago when I moved. Went back to Directv, Charlie has too many pissing contests with providers for me.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Charlie no longer runs DISH, it's Joe Clayton now. Yes, THAT Joe Clayton.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
we were going to switch to Dish for their Hopper DVR. Then the dropped AMC. Then they were in dispute with Sinclair that would have taken away our ABC, Fox and CW channels. Then they went into dispute with Big Ten Network. Last but not least they went into dispute with our CBS channel too. I was dropped for about 3 weeks.They cleared up everything but AMC. We were not about leave and miss Walking Dead. Look at all the disputes that just happened in our area.

I don't care how cool your DVR is I'm not switching to a company that is in dispute all the time. So I stayed with Direct!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
we were going to switch to Dish for their Hopper DVR. Then the dropped AMC. Then they were in dispute with Sinclair that would have taken away our ABC, Fox and CW channels. Then they went into dispute with Big Ten Network. Last but not least they went into dispute with our CBS channel too. I was dropped for about 3 weeks.They cleared up everything but AMC. We were not about leave and miss Walking Dead. Look at all the disputes that just happened in our area.

I don't care how cool your DVR is I'm not switching to a company that is in dispute all the time. So I stayed with Direct!

I have whole home DVR and my 4 DVRs run over my network, so I can record 8 shows at once.

I think Directv has some new DVRs out better than what I have.

sjam613

Oct 5, 2012
New Milford, CT
For a while I used to just get the most basic cable package and that didn't include AMC. I would just iTunes pass shows that I still really wanted to see (such as Walking Dead) and download them the next morning.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have whole home DVR and my 4 DVRs run over my network, so I can record 8 shows at once.

We have 2 HD DVR's and a regular HD receiver networked with Direct. They work well. Their just super slow. Changing the channel is the worst.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008

The new DVRs don't work with the whole home service. So while they are better on a 1 to 1 ratio they are not better in regards to your whole home setup.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
We have 2 HD DVR's and a regular HD receiver networked with Direct. They work well. Their just super slow. Changing the channel is the worst.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

I think you need to do a service call. My brother had the same issue and it got resolved in one call. I have not seen this issue with mine.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i read on gawker about how amc saying over and over and over again that their stuff is not on dish and that might hurt them. they have become more known for their grudge more than there really awesome shows. mad man, breaking bad, walking dead are my number 1 2 3 fav shows on tv right now.

AMC Will Not Stop Throwing a Temper Tantrum About Being Dropped by Dish

even at the walking dead opening they did that. and that show got them record numbers for a cable channel...something like 11 million viewers.

they will fire frank darabont totally randomly and hes the creator of the tv show. he is a king to a geek like me. i dont know if its related but it seems like the brass over at amc have short tempers and are acting like children. they have three great things going and dont know how to deal with them. look at the mad men hold out...

Matthew Weiner Issues Statement on Mad Men Delay, Negotiations - TV Fanatic

this is what amc does.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I think you need to do a service call. My brother had the same issue and it got resolved in one call. I have not seen this issue with mine.

Me neither.

I had a service guy come out and check everything. He reset the receivers checked the lines and still the same ol shit. He told me that the old HD DVR'S are slow. I have an HR24 DVR and and HR23 DVR. The 24 is pretty fast but the 23 is slow. I went on the satelliteguys website and and found this is really common with the old HD DVR's.

So I called Direct and asked about the HR34 that records 5 shows and all that. They want me to pay $299 up front for it. I'm out of contract. I could go with Dish and get 2 Hoppers and a Joey for $99 plus a years worth of discounts. Now that they have AMC and everything else back I might do that. I don't want to but the older HDDVR is so slow and it sucks watching college football on it because it takes forever to change the channel. Oh and the Tech couldn't get Direct to ok an exchange for a new one because it still works.

Check out the DirecTV forum on satellite guys and you'll see I'm not the only one with this problem.