Ala Carte on XM?

Discussion in 'XM Radios' started by klingon_master, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Will XM ever offer an Ala Carte Service for $6.99 just like they are doing with Sirius where you get to pick 50 channels. If they effer offer this type of Ala Carte service will any of the current or Xm radios be able to work with the Ala carte service if they do it. I heard in another post they individually program channels and it may or may not be able to work on current or older Xm receivers. You have to spend at least $12.99 a month on XM to get service that includes both Music channels and sports channels including ESPN radio. The Ala Carte plan might make more people who don't want all the channles chose XM radio expect XM doesn't have all the Canadian stuff and WRN which allows you to listen international radio broadcasts.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

With most of the music channels the same, it won't matter if your a-la-carte receiver is Sirius or XM.

I doubt there will be an XM a-la-carte compatable receiver until the dual mode receivers next spring.

3. zevious

zevious Member

My understanding is that ALL XM radios are a-la-carte compatible. The Starmate 5 is the only Sirius receiver thats compatible at this time. I was told this by someone at Sirius. Does anyone have any data that says otherwise?

4. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

All XM Radios are capable to get the Best of SIRIUS, but I don't think there is one XM radio that is Ala Carte Capable yet.

5. Benji

Benji New Member

Ding, ding, ding you are correct sir.

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

XM has always had the ability to block certain channels from specific receivers. There was/is a guy at XMFAN who had the CC channels deleted from his radio at the source.

The fact they laid off the guy who knew how to do it does not make the radios uncompatable. They are. Their system can handle it.

7. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I can vouch for the Best of Sirius thing. My Roady2 is quite old and I get the Best of Sirius on it...:)