Activation Fee info and warranty help

DavisD

Dec 7, 2008
All, I am a new subscriber (Stiletto 2) and completed my activation online. I did not see a line item charging me for activation. I had 3 $50 gift cards (purchased for $95) but the online process only lets you load one card when creating an account. So I had to call customer service to refund my credit card and and use the remainder of my prepaid balance. I have reviewed by billing summary and do not see a charge for activation.

I thought I would post as SiriusXM my be waiving activation? Surprising since they need all the money they can get...or maybe I was lucky? I will take it.

I am enjoying sirius but had to contact warranty since my wifi would not find any "active networks". The replacement radio on the way I guess since warranty did not send an email concerning the replacement, ie. shipping info or summary of the request...

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I would give it some time. Then check your account online to see if you were charged.

I'd be surprised if they are having a free activation promotion.

siriusdude

Nov 19, 2008
With the first radio I had 2 years ago I had to call to activate it because the online activation wouldn't go through. I can't remember if they charged me an activation fee then. When I bought the Sportser 4 I called so I could swap it for the first radio I had. I don't remember them charging me a fee then.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
A lot of times, online activations are free, while you get hit $15 for the phone activations.

i called sirius and activated it over the phone saturday night. in fact, not only did they not charge me a $15 activation fee, but they gave me 3 months free of sirius everything with the best of xm without subscribing to a plan. i didn't even give them any credit card number or a prepaid sirius card number.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That's pretty awesome! I guess they want those subscriber numbers up for year-end. They really don't have anything to lose when you are talking about an old radio out in the wild.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've always found an activation fee to be kinda silly. They should have a de-activation fee to those who cancel within the first year (maybe after a 30 day grace period).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have no problem with an activation fee as most subscription based services do this. What I have a beef with is them starting to charge an activation even on radio swaps. This to me is what is crazy!

DavisD

Dec 7, 2008
Update

I called warranty today and found out that there was no email address on my account. That is why I have not gotten any emails about the warranty replacement.

It is weird that they did not have my email address as it is on my sirius sub account....I was told that sometimes the account information does not transfer across from sirius sub account to warranty.

I still do not see an activation fee on my account. I guess since I activated online it was free even though I did have to call them to "use" my prepaid balance instead of my CC. I did see the CC refund on both my account and on my CC statement. Only a few days wait for the refund to show up on my card not weeks as some have stated in the past.

I have been pretty happy with the customer service. I was just a little lost without an email confirmations concerning my warranty claim. Now I know why...