A Sirius Problem

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm not trying to argue with you, and I can't even say I disagree. I'm just saying their decision to remain silent is not (necessarily) ineptness. There is a reason they have chosen to withhold an announcement -- it may not be a good reason, but there is one.

You and I would probably run the marketing much better than Sirius XM, but I don't think they pay very well. ;)

Oh I understand you aren't arguing and I'd be okay if you were. However, I do recall thinking this same thing you are right now many times in the past. But time and time again It was proved that SIRIUS for the most part rally is inept. They have a history of it now and this just plays right into that.

It is amazing that a subscription based company continuously leave their subscribers in the dark.

Even my local cable company which has moved channels around and added new channels, has a channel where they keep the subscribers informed of what is happening and when it will happen. This is very much so appreciated. Now would I cancel my sub if they didn't do this? No, but then I wouldn't feel very loyal to them either. Right now I have other options for service, but I stay with them because of the way the treat me.

I think this is already the case for the way many on the XM side are already feeling. I mean not once have I seen anything posted from Sirius saying, we want to welcome our XM customers to the family. Blah, Blah.. That to me is clear ineptness, that you would not even acknowledge 10 million new subscribers.

edalen

Oct 14, 2008
www.ericdalen.com
I think this is already the case for the way many on the XM side are already feeling. I mean not once have I seen anything posted from Sirius saying, we want to welcome our XM customers to the family. Blah, Blah.. That to me is clear ineptness, that you would not even acknowledge 10 million new subscribers.

You're right: It would have shown some class and respect to say "Hi" from the new management. Very good point.

I wrote about this in my MultiChannel news Article on Tuesday.

On the morning of November 12th when satellite radio customers go to turn on the radio and their favorite show or channel is not on people are going to be mad, they are going to feel used and abused.

It would be a common courtesy for Sirius/XM to release something about the changes before they make them.

To me this lack of information from them shows that they really don't care about their customers, they only care about signing up new ones.

Shame on MEL and Sirius/XM

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
So the company that had the early start and a seemingly insurmountable lead 3 yeasrs ago "knew what they were doing"...... and the company that went from 600K to to 10M subs in 3 years, took over the "knew what they were doing" company, fired most staffers, and eliminated sat competition, "are just plain stupid"?

I get it.

They paid Howard Stern to come over, that's what happened. One good move doesn't erase every bad move, but it can cover them up.

Anyway.. when it happens, it happens. When are they going to let us know? I don't know. But considering they are issuing a press release on Monday announcing their 3Q financials, maybe just maybe, they know a bit more than you give them credit for, and they are waiting until after that announcement.

Also, it's probably a beter move to wait until very close to the launch considering how over-dramitic XM subs have been. They're all jumping off of bridges and pointing blame for the death of their company, yet they have yet to lose 1 channel. Just the mere rumor of a name change is going launch a landslide of unjustified rage,..... So maybe it's best to handle this in a way where maybe a few sane individuals will give it a fair chance before calling for a public lynching of Mel.

Why would they wait to announce channel changes (something that has almost nothing to do with finances) after a financial report?

I'm sure they have an idea of what they want to do, in fact I think they may even know fully. The problem is they aren't letting us, the subscribers, know.

"over-dramatic XM subs"
See, you're puttting XM subscribers in a category with online forum XM subscribers. Very very different. The average XM subscriber isn't pointing any fingers.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
"over-dramatic XM subs"
See, you're puttting XM subscribers in a category with online forum XM subscribers. Very very different. The average XM subscriber isn't pointing any fingers.

Not here so much. This is a mixed crowd. Go to XMFan.com. They have been screaming for months.. "Burn in Hell Mel." "Who is the XM assasin?" "Mel is a Moron." "Let's send Mel a message." "I'm emailing XM execs." "F you Sirius, this is the last straw, I'm going to Slacker" and so on........................

Yet........ Nothing has happened yet to their channels.

You are right though, the average subscriber doesn't even know anything is going to change.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Not here so much. This is a mixed crowd. Go to XMFan.com. They have been screaming for months.. "Burn in Hell Mel." "Who is the XM assasin?" "Mel is a Moron." "Let's send Mel a message." "I'm emailing XM execs." "F you Sirius, this is the last straw, I'm going to Slacker" and so on........................

Yet........ Nothing has happened yet to their channels.

You are right though, the average subscriber doesn't even know anything is going to change.

All that is totally crazy and out of the box if you ask me. I've never understood the extreme XM'ers. I mean over the years we've had a few finantics for Sirius, but nothing like these guys. They will dog you out for any little reason.

Well we know changes are coming soon and I am sure it will get even more extreme that that time. But most users won't know anything about it till it happens and really that isn't the way to do business, but it is SIRUS's way of doing business.

XMOldster

Nov 6, 2008
I would hardly consider myself an XM fanatic, and I do recognize that there are a few out there who go a little over the top with their zealousness. That being said, I do understand why some people get as charged up as they do. I have had XM for many years, and I decided to go with XM over Sirius after a lot of careful consideration. I had a car with Sirius built in for a few years, and always felt like the XM equivalents were more my speed. To be fair, there were a few stations on Sirius that I thought were better and there were a few that had no equivalent on XM.

The upcoming changes are frustrating and scary for people who CHOSE one service over the other for a reason. I primarily chose XM because I thought Fred brought more to the table than First Wave. Now I will, it certainly seems, have First Wave anyway. In the end, we will still have the same basic genre stations, but it is pretty hard to deny that, for the most part, XM had more extensive playlists than Sirius in the rock category. For a lot of people, there is a great fear that there will a degradation of quality in the stations. So please cut these folks a little slack. They are simply passionate about the music they love and chose the service that spoke to that. I talk to VERY FEW people who chose XM for any reason other than music. There are a lot of reasons other than music that people have chosen Sirius in my experience. No, they have not lost anything YET, but it doesn't change the inevitability that they ARE going to see some change.

It is my hope that the powers that be will have looked at these factors, and despite having chosen to keep one station over the other, will do what they can to make that one station the best it can be. Maybe I get First Wave, but they will care enough to expand the playlist at least a little.

No matter what, we ALL deserve to be in the loop of what's about to happen.

Reactions: Aaron

TacoKid

Oct 27, 2008
Euless, TX
www.twitter.com
I've never understood why, as some believe, if XM was the better run company by a better group of management, with more subscribers, along with a better handle on how to program their channels, etc. it wasn't the company who took over/merged/whatever you choose to call it and is now running the show?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I would like them to do a better job of keeping us up to date with the info too, but here's a thought for you.

When FM stations change format, or change personalities, they never say anything until the day it happens. All the sudden your favorite morning DJ has been replaced by the traffic guy. . . instead of the usual play-list (that repeats every three hours), you get 24 hours of the same Achy Breaky song to find out the next day they have become the latest country station. . . . .

If Sirius' management is falling back on old broadcast habits it's a shame. They should be taking advantage of what's going on and offer this kind of information as a member benefit.

Just a thought
But what do I know

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
I've never understood why, as some believe, if XM was the better run company by a better group of management, with more subscribers, along with a better handle on how to program their channels, etc. it wasn't the company who took over/merged/whatever you choose to call it and is now running the show?

As it was, Sirius had the best upper-management team. Or atleast the ones with a proven track-record for running a business. However, these aren't the people that tell us stuff.

XM did a better job of this, so I don't know why Sirius didn't keep them on or continue how they did things. Again, they aren't the brightest when it comes to customer relations.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I would hardly consider myself an XM fanatic, and I do recognize that there are a few out there who go a little over the top with their zealousness. That being said, I do understand why some people get as charged up as they do.

The upcoming changes are frustrating and scary for people who CHOSE one service over the other for a reason. .

I do understand that folks would be concerned, they well should be. But because one is concerned that means they make all these outrageous allegations, say any and everything they can about Mel etc. I mean that in my opinion is going above and beyond. Sure, I can understand folks saying, hey I am going to give this a chance and if it turns out to be crap, then I am likely going to cancel. We haven't heard the first sign of what is actually going to happen. That is right by any means, but to already jump to conclusions that this programming is going to be crap is a bit unfair. Granted these folks are not very bright as it would seem, but lets hope they do understand that hey are taking over all these channels will deeper playlist, that they would have to adjust that on the like Sirius channels or folks will not be happy. Will everyone be happy? No, there is no possible way they are going to make every single subscriber happy.

My point is being frustrated, having fear of the unknown that is normal. But some of the craziness I've been reading, that is just loaded with hate and disdain that I just do not believe the average XM'er really has.

When FM stations change format, or change personalities, they never say anything until the day it happens. All the sudden your favorite morning DJ has been replaced by the traffic guy. . . instead of the usual play-list (that repeats every three hours), you get 24 hours of the same Achy Breaky song to find out the next day they have become the latest country station. . . . .

I don't know we've had several stations change their format over the years here in my local market and most of the time it makes it to the newspaper and they even discuss it on air before it happens. Maybe because this is a smaller market and none of the channels are own by Clear Channel. But not every radio station does this. Many of them understand listener loyalty and it is there love of DJ's and interacting that keeps local AM/FM's with the shares they get in a given market.

Sirius management just has this habit of assuming that they can do whatever the hell they want and we subscribers will be like. OH Okay and just keep on keeping on. I think they are going to be in for a major shock if they don't move the channels more to the middle of the road between these services. If they try to continue to program them as they have the Sirius service itself. The churn is likely going to be huge! I can understand XM customers fears, but that doesn't mean you get out of control and crazy about it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't know we've had several stations change their format over the years here in my local market and most of the time it makes it to the newspaper and they even discuss it on air before it happens. Maybe because this is a smaller market and none of the channels are own by Clear Channel. But not every radio station does this. Many of them understand listener loyalty and it is there love of DJ's and interacting that keeps local AM/FM's with the shares they get in a given market.

In Toronto, a fairly major Canadian market, changes happen with usually either no notice or a days notice.

In the late 80s the local AM Top 40 station made a switch to oldies with 1 days notice -- just enough to get it in the local paper.

Back in the 90s the local CISS-FM was a "New Country" station. When they switched formats, they invited all the on-air DJs and talent to a party (it was around XMAS). While at the party they changed the locks and switched the format to Top 40 Dance. Near the end of the party, the CEO got up and made an announcement that they were all fired.

Later, in the 00s, that same station was now a JACK format with DJs. One day there were no DJs. They went to a DJless format with no notice.

In my wife's home state of WV, the local FM station was bought by Froggy and immediatly played 2 weeks of frog noises before coming out with the new format.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's just an old school radio management technique. It doesn't give the listeners time to campaign and cause bad press. Personalities are usually let go without notice, so they cant cause a ruckus on the air. I heard a clip on the radio a couple of weeks ago where a DJ in the south learned he was to be let go, so he went completely off on the air. The heavily censored clip that they played was awesome. After he cussed the management out he left the station to broadcast dead air and stormed out of the building. It took them something like 20 minutes to get someone back in control of the booth. It's probably on the youtube.

WACF

Oct 28, 2008
Canadian Prairies
Back in the 90s the local CISS-FM was a "New Country" station. When they switched formats, they invited all the on-air DJs and talent to a party (it was around XMAS). While at the party they changed the locks and switched the format to Top 40 Dance. Near the end of the party, the CEO got up and made an announcement that they were all fired.

Did he make it out alive?