720p VS 1080i/p Resolutions

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by SSF, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Member

You are correct, sir! I guess the bad reputation of the old projection tv killed HD tv? Or maybe it was the size. Either way, I guess if I haven't seen one by now, I probably never will.

On a side note, it cracks me up when folks are viewing standard def 4:3 tv stretched out to fit 16:9 and they all stand around saying "Wow! this high def stuff is great".

2. Deacon

Deacon Member

OK, so I've been doing some reading on the front projection tv's and people seem to love them.

What's your take on this one?

3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yup. My next big TV will most likely be a front projection system.

That's not a front projection TV. That's DLP. I won't buy DLP. Spinning wheels are inherently flaky.

4. Deacon

Deacon Member

jeez...I'm kinda slow. Crutchfield clearly lists it as a rear-projection DLP HDTV

So by front projection we are talking about a table or wall mounted projector that projects onto a wall or screen?

If that is correct, then I guess the real problem would be controlling ambient light on a, say, Sunday afternoon.

The rear projection DLP's do look pretty nice and are only about ~14" deep. From what I understand, DLP's are generally moving away from the wheel.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yeah, or ceiling mounted.

Some of the high end FP units can produce a lot of light, but controlling ambient light is important for any serious TV system.

Really? Last I saw there were only a few that didn't use the wheel. I've heard too many horror stories about those wheels.

6. Deacon

Deacon Member

Let me clarify...many of the rear projection DLP's are no longer using the wheel...I'm not sure about front projector DLP's.

Stolen for a 2006 pcmag ariticle -

"Samsung and AKAI will soon begin shipment of new DLP RPTVs that replace the color wheel as well as the projection lamp with sequentially fired red, green, blue (RGB) LEDs. In addition to producing a wider color gamut, the LEDs used in these televisions are conservatively rated at 20,000 hours—far longer longevity than any incandescent bulb used in today's RPTVs. The use of LEDs as a light source in RPTVs eliminates another moving part (the color wheel), reduces the amount heat generated (decreasing fan noise), and significantly shortens the time it takes the television to achieve full brightness."

7. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

So bottom line is although a program is shown in 1080p my 32" CAN'T decode it?

8. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

If by "program" you mean a TV show, you have no worries. Aside from some On-Demand type stuff over the dish, TV is broadcast in 1080i or 720p. There is no such thing as a 1080p TV program.

Now if you mean any 1080p source, such as Blu-ray disk or the afore mentioned dish content; if your TV is a 720p, then you would have to set the output of the player/set-top-box to either 1080i or 720p. Then the player or box will downconvert the 1080p in order for you to view it. I know of no 720p TV's that accept a raw 1080p signal and downconvert (not that there aren't any, but I've never seen one, and I follow this stuff pretty closely).

9. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

Ok please bare with me.I have Fios TV, If the source is 1080i will my 32" show the picture in 1080i or at best 720p? If I were to buy Blue-Ray will I be able to take advantage of 1080p or will the best I can do is 1080i?

10. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

Your TV will convert 1080i to it's native 720p. Note that some people think 720p is better than 1080i, especially for sports and action scenes, because of the progressive scan. A 1080i source has 1080 lines, but they are interlaced, so they are only refreshed 540 at a time. In other words, more is not necessarily better. 1080p is the best of both worlds, 1080 lines all refreshed at once.

If you buy Blu-ray, your player will have to convert the 1080p native data on the disk to 1080i or 720p. You can choose which one you want to output and it may not seem logical as to which one you choose. 1080i requires less conversion by the player (it does not involve any loss of data, it only interlaces the progressive signal), so it may look better when converted by the TV. Then again, your converter in the TV may suck, and it would be better to convert to 720p in the player. Try both and see what works best.

11. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

Thank, I got it now.