720p VS 1080i/p Resolutions

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by SSF, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

Well they technically are CRT's, they are just limited to one color and they project their picture in a very concentrated way. So instead of spreading electrons over the inside of a coated tube, they project them out the end and onto a screen. But they are really a simple cathode ray in a vacuum tube when you get right down to it.

2. Davis

Davis Member

Oh, OK. No I understand. I quickly looked it up (after my last post) and I didn't see it explained that well (easy to understand).

3. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Mine is going on 8years and never a problem. They have NO PIXELS in the picture which is just the best. It doesn't have HDMI but I am a big fan of Analog and find that digital is just doesn't live up to the hype ESPECIALLY after dealing with Sat radio and it's "digital" setup.

4. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They are big and doofy but god dammit it's the best picture.

5. IronJabroni

IronJabroni Well-Known Member

anyone still sell such things? I can't find any on bestbuy.com...just front and rear projection dlp's

6. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

Nope, although the market for used front projection CRT's is pretty active. Some of them are so maintenance intensive it becomes a full time hobby just to keep them aligned. Of course the owner never has time to watch the damn thing, but that is beside the point. ;)

7. SSF

SSF Member

You are correct. I bought the Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U for $748 at Best Buy by price matching PC Richards two months ago. The picture is great and although it does not have as dynamic settings as more expensive units it really is a steal. Especially considering it has 3 HDMI inputs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

If I was buying a TV to replace the one I have now in my room (42" DLP), it would be LCD (52"+), 1080p with 120 Hz refresh rate.

Here's one: Sharp Aquos LC52D85U ($1748.72)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC52D85U-52-Inch-1080p/dp/tech-data/B001E91OCO/ref=de_a_smtd/182-8302825-5791637]Amazon.com: Sharp Aquos LC52D85U 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV: Electronics[/ame]

9. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I want to buy a Samsung 1080p LCD TV one one of these days, I would rather get a 40+ inch. But I can't find much good deals in my area yet, but I have seen some really good deals for a Samsung 1080p 37" LCD TV.

10. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

What's the disadvantage of setting the console at 1080i? There'd be a degradation of the image? I'm not sure I understand.

I've always had my PS3 outputting 1080i to my 1080i plasma. I haven't tried setting it to 720p.

Oren

11. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

From what I have read under 42 inches 1080 is no different in terms of picture quality to 720.

12. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

So does that mean TV's over 40+ inches has an issue with picture quality or not?

13. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

From what I understand you can see the difference in a 1080 over 720 over 42 inches, like say a 50,52 or 58 inch.

14. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

ok cool, thx for info TX!

15. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

I don't know if this contributes to the conversation, but I once read that you do not get true "High Definition" in ANY fixed-pixel display (plasma, etc) that has a screen size of less than 50". From what I understand, in order to display a high definition signal on a screen smaller than 50", the signal is downscaled, in other words, some pixel information in the signal must be stripped before it can be displayed on the screen. Because some of that information is gone, you're not seeing ALL the detail that was present in the original signal.

I don't know if I'm understanding this properly, or if I explained this well, but hopefully some of you guys can chime in on this.

Oren

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

No, and this disturbs some of us a lot. I've had several rear projection CRT sets. My current one is a 57" Hitachi. The HD picture is better than any LCD, plasma or DLP set I've seen. When it breaks I'm going to be very, very sad.

17. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

it is and they need very little convergence adj if you don't move the thing.

Sometimes you think the picture is looking lousy then you put on a TRUE HD station and WOW. No HDMI either although I like the look of analog anyway.

18. Deacon

Deacon Member

I always thought the projection screens weren't all that great. I seem to remember washed out images and only getting a decent picture when sitting directly in front of the screen.

I have a Sony KV-34XBR00 that appears to take 720p and convert it to 1080i. Why would Sony create a 34" tv if more resolution isn't available or does this discussion only pertain to LCD/Plasma tv's? Please note that this is an older HDTV and is a direct view HD monitor. In other words, this is a glass screen tv like inthe olden days, but is a widescreen that accepts HD signals (and weighs over 200lbs I might add).

19. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Then you didn't see any decent HD RP sets. We're not talking about the front projection systems they used to put in pizza parlors. We're talking about what HD was designed for. They could deliver full 1080 resolution and color accuracy that flat panels have never been able to touch. They didn't have the persistence and speed problems of LCD and they lasted longer than plasma.

20. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

right. When you project a 320x240 rez pic onto a 50in screen the BEST projector setup is going to look ok at best.

Those front projection setups were a nightmare anyway.