2018 Drc Movies Madness #2

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, May 20, 2018.

1. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Welcome to the twelfth installment of DRC Madness tournament bracket. June month theme will be Movies #2 and the madness bracket size will be 256 seeds.

Before we get started the rules you simply nominate films and if we go over the limit, then we will vote and the top 256 will get in. I'm thinking to make this similar to cartoon character brackets by categories like as example below.

Action & Adventure
    Comedy
    Crime & Gangster
    Drama
    Horror & Thriller
    Kids & Family
    Musicals
    Romance
    Sci-Fi & Fantasy
    War
    Westerns
    etc.

We could take the top 4 themes and place 64 films in each category or take top 8 and place 32 films in each category. Simply trying to make it fair to all film categories and make this competition with good films.

Hopefully, you guys like the idea and if so then I can create a poll with several movie categories and the top 4, 6 or 8 categories will win and then we can get started nominating films.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I need to finish cartoon madness first. I'm exhausted.

Wolf and JHDK like this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Cartoon madness will end towards the end of the month and I'm not looking to start nominating anything yet. I just want to know if everybody is cool with this idea first and then I can create the poll, that will be open for the next few days. When June 1st comes that when the nominating begins.

But by now I should realize I doubt anybody cares and will go along with the program.

4. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I think it sounds good Wolf

Wolf likes this.
  5. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

After thinking about it some categories could easily be combined together and I bet some will hardly receive any votes. So I think it would be more interesting seeing 8 movie categories with 32 seeds in each one. It should make the competition tougher on voting throughout the rounds instead of seeing clean sweeps.

When its time for nominating films in certain categories, that where the voting comes in and the top 32 votes will advance. So I'm thinking these can be the 8 movie categories.

Action & Adventure
    Comedy
    Crime & Gangster
    Drama
    Horror & Thriller
    Musicals
    Romance
    Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Kids & Family, Historical, Mystery, War, Westerns, etc. can be thrown in just about any category.

6. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Wolf's not fucking around when he calls it madness. This is serious business.

HecticArt and Wolf like this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I been thinking about the 2nd Chance Write-Ins, which I plan on keeping. The format will still be similar but changed up a bit.

In the next day or two, I will introduce the new rules and format which hopefully should make the future Elimination Bracket a bit more interesting and entertaining. Plus the write-in decision should be easier now.

8. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

This is what I have in mind for the 2nd Chance Write-Ins. But to be honest, do you guys support the new format or prefer not to have it in play?

This is a temporary rule, which is still a work in progress and may change at any time.

How “Write-Ins” vote works. After each round whoever is eliminated has a 2nd chance to make a comeback for the tournament. There are 3 simple rules.

1. Simply nominating one item per bracket.
    2. The item needs 2 or more votes to be eligible for the elimination bracket.
    3. Whoever doesn’t get nominated will be permanently eliminated from the competition.

The elimination may start right after a round or wait until enough slots are filled. The elimination bracket will be between 8 - 16 slots, mainly head-to-head or triple threat match-ups. The winner of the 2nd Chance Elimination Bracket will have a chance at the championship, which may turn into a triple threat or wait for the winner.

9. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

My personal preference would be to allow write-ins in the early rounds, not the later rounds. But that's just me. I'm good with anything.

Wolf likes this.
  10. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat - action/adventure
    A Serbian Film - romance
    Irréversible - foreign
    Birth of a Nation 1915 - historical

I have a couple categories that weren't listed.

11. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I was thinking that earlier. But again if somebody major gets eliminated in the sweet 16 or elite 8 they could have another chance. They could get in as a bye or it may not be fair to the earlier elimination items.

12. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I'm not accepting nominations yet until June 1st.

I was thinking mainly sticking to major film categories. That why I thought of those 8 categories which would have 32 slots which equal out to 256 slots.

But I did forget one major film category animation. So I may have to rethink the slots sizes or have a poll and decide what movie categories we may want to go with.

That why I want to use the similar format in the cartoon character madness. We can find out what is the best movie in each film category.

By they way romance could be merged with drama to make room for animation and keep the 8 movie categories.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I like the late round wild cards.
    Throw a little chaos into things.

Wolf likes this.
  14. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Previously mentioned in another thread, when I set up the madness tournament is based on the NCAA tournament. Then I tweak up some of the rules to prevent ties. Now it time for another upgrade to include the elimination/wild card bracket.

I have been following another type of tournament bracket if anybody here ever heard of it. It's called the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup for the U.S. soccer clubs and well over 100 years old. It starts out with smaller local clubs qualifying for a spot and if the local club wins, then they move on throughout the tournament and compete against bigger name clubs in the U.S. soccer tier pyramid. Like round 2 are tier 3 and 4 clubs from NPSL and PDL leagues, round 3 are tier 2 clubs from the USL and round 4 are tier 1 clubs from the MLS.

U.S. Open Cup - Wikipedia
    2018 U.S. Open Cup - Wikipedia

That what I'm thinking using in the elimination bracket, round 1 can be from the 64 bracket, round 2 from the 32 bracket and so on.

15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

These are all the movies I have listed so far, some could easily be merged. In a couple of days, I will set up a movie category poll and possibly take the 8 categories or rework the seed slots.

Action & Adventure
    Animation
    Comedy
    Crime & Gangster
    Drama
    Foreign
    Historical
    Horror & Thriller
    Mystery
    Musicals
    Romance
    Sci-Fi & Fantasy
    War
    Westerns

If you like to see another other category added please list it now before the poll is posted.

16. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

This is multiple choice voting to help determine the movie categories for the tournament bracket. Please list your DRC username and select up to 8 movie categories.

Voting On 2018 Movie Categories

The poll will close 8 pm EST on Thursday, May 31st.

These are movie categories to vote for:

Action & Adventure
    Animation
    Comedy
    Crime & Gangster
    Drama & Romance
    Foreign
    Historical
    Horror & Thriller
    Mystery
    Musicals
    Sci-Fi & Fantasy
    War
    Westerns

I'm still sticking to a 256 bracket with 8 categories of 32 slots. Yes, it will be pretty tight for certain categories. But this year movie madness should be more interesting than last year. It will make the competition tougher on voting throughout the rounds but it beats seeing clean sweeps. Some categories could be flooded with nominations but that when the voting comes in and the top 32 films in each category will advance to the tournament.

Maybe certain films that couldn't make the tournament could see a chance in the elimination bracket, but it will determine from the voting results. I will introduce some new rules and one could impact the voting results. It all depends on how many people will vote throughout the tournament.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  17. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

So is the Naked Gun Crime or Comedy?

18. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

IMBD lists it as comedy and I personally think it is more comedy than anything else.

19. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

So far 3 votes are in and there only 2 days left to vote on what movie categories you like to see in the tournament.

20. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

Westerns & Comedy

and six others