2016 Movies & Tv Shows

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It would be nice to catch up on movies this weekend. We want to see La La Land. Not sure if that is coming out this weekend but should be soon.

i'm looking forward to that one too. it is coming out this weekend but i don't know how wide. it's not in my area yet.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Hopefully I'll be able to hit the theater next weekend.
My vacation starts Wednesday. No more work till next year.
Woohoo! My last day is next Thursday.

But I have 2 free passes to the Alamo in my pocket that are good through 12/15, and a free pizza and a free popcorn on my Top Brass account. So I'm hoping to see something this weekend. I want to see "Arrival" and "Moana".

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
if the DCEU consists of only bat v super and suicide i agree. suicide was better. margot was really good and the joker was not as bad as i had expected. the rest was completely awful but at least there were 2 highlights, unlike with batman v superman where it was all bad. however if the two modern superman standalone movies are included they are both better. and even they are not good.

all superhero movies should have just come to an end after nolan. it will take an amazing talent to top his outings.

Suicide Squad is supposedly the third film in the DCEU, unfortunately I saw bat v super man in the theaters. But the extended version is hell a lot better and fixed most of the issues. There next film is Wonder Woman and hopefully that will be good?

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
i'm looking forward to that one too. it is coming out this weekend but i don't know how wide. it's not in my area yet.

My sweets just told me that La La Land isn't coming to our theater. Now we'll have to go to a west Madison theater to see it. That's the second time I recall our theater having a movie preview than not actually bringing the movie. They did that with Paper Towns last year too. We have a fantastic theater but that one really throws me off.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i liked both new PotA movies so this one should likely keep that trend alive.

That's the second time I recall our theater having a movie preview than not actually bringing the movie. They did that with Paper Towns last year too.

i hate that! my theater did it too with whiplash a couple years ago and it was really annoying.

Reactions: HecticArt

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Why You'll Be Able to Watch New Movies At Home Sooner Than Ever
Aaron PressmanDecember 5, 2016, 9:00 AM EST
576077035.jpg

Falling disc sales pressure Hollywood.

Movie fans will soon be able to watch their favorite flicks at home much sooner after they hit theaters. In a potential boon to users of Apple TV, Roku and other online set-top boxes, Hollywood studios are negotiating to reduce the so-called theatrical window to just two to four weeks after a movie’s release, according to one analyst.

The studios are looking to make up for plummeting revenue from the sale of DVDs and Blu-ray discs, while attacking the largest type of video piracy, according to the analysis. A new early-release window could generate large sums, carrying a price of $25 or $50 per movie versus the $10 to $15 charged under the current system with its typical three-month or longer delays.

Several studio executives have recently spoken publicly about their efforts to create an earlier viewing opportunity, analyst Michael Nathanson of MoffettNathanson Research wrote in a report released Monday. For example, Kevin Tsujihara, CEO of Warner Bros., last week said the issue had become “an imperative,” adding “we’re going to do it.”

This pretty much negates any idea of having to go to the theater to watch a movie if it's available On-Demand two weeks later.

Apple TV, Roku Users May Get Quicker Access to New Movie Releases

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm not paying $25 to watch a movie at home, even if I get to keep it in some online locker. Eventually all of those online locker owners go out of business.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
If it includes, letting me buying the movie permanently. Then this idea totally is rip off!

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We just saw Manchester-by-the-Sea in Manchester-by... oh you know. Our closest cousins live there. The movie was good, we'll done, but not as great as we all expected. It's more of a character study than anything else.

The movie had scenes covering every square inch of area around us. My wife was expecting to see our theater on screen.

In other local news, we just saw Joy, and the Dallas scene at the end was shot in Downtown Haverhill, a couple of miles from where we live now.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I want to see "Arrival" and "Moana".

I saw "Arrival" last night. Free ticket, free pizza. All I bought was the beer, and healthy tips for my bartender and server.

I avoided spoilers for "Arrival", so all I knew was what I saw in the trailer. About 1 hour in I thought it was going to be a big ambitious failure, attempting to be profound but only being prosaic. Then a bunch of stuff paid off and it was pretty profound, especially if you have a kid, especially if you've had a few strong beers to lower your barriers to sentimentality.

I've still got another free ticket, but it expires tomorrow. I've also got an invite to a free early screening of "Why Him?" which looks just awful.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Memegirl and I saw "Moana" last night. She loved it. I enjoyed the animation, which is breathtaking, and the crab, which is played by Jemaine from "Flight of the Conchords". The story fails to transcend the modern Disney empowered princess formula. Of course her dad didn't want her to sail beyond the reef. Of course it's because he did it when he was her age and feels guilty about his friend dying. The film knows this is all too predictable and doesn't even slow down to dwell on it.

But visually, big wows.

Last edited:
Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
la la land was very good. the opening scene is on a LA stretch of highway and its amazing how they pulled it off. the whole time watching it i was thinking about how awful everyone says traffic is in LA and how closing off an entire section of highway must have made is so much worse.

overall it was a lovely story with a very good ending. not many of the songs were all that great though. of the 6 or 7 tunes they do with lyrics, only the second to last one had me thinking i'd like to hear it again.

but it's very apparent why this movie is such an oscar darling.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Our theater had LaLa Land afterall and we battled the snow and cold elements on Saturday afternoon to go see it. I thought it was very enjoyable. Will I remember it many many years from now, I don't know but I wouldn't argue with it getting awards.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Our theater had LaLa Land afterall and we battled the snow and cold elements on Saturday afternoon to go see it. I thought it was very enjoyable. Will I remember it many many years from now, I don't know but I wouldn't argue with it getting awards.
This is shaping-up to be the leading contender for our "Chinese food & a movie" Jewish family Christmas plans.