2015 Movies

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Today I just saw the Furious 7 and it was a fantastic movie, tons of action pack and sadness, which most of us know why Paul Walker died in that tragic accident last year.

We liked it too. My wife almost cried during the tribute. It was pretty sad. Great movie though!

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: Wolf

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't know about movies, but were getting a new movie theater, 5 minutes from my home, opening at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to opening week:

Marcus' new Sun Prairie theater spotlights future of movie-going
May 14, 2014, 11:58am CDT

View Photos

The Sun Prairie Palace Cinema will set the standard for movie theaters, according to Marcus Theatres president and CEO Rolando Rodriguez.

Stacy Vogel Davis

Associate editor- Milwaukee Business Journal
Email | Twitter | Google+
Marcus Theatres will break ground Wednesday afternoon on its new Sun Prairie theater, its first new theater in several years.

The theater, deemed the Sun Prairie Palace Cinema, will build on concepts Marcus has introduced in recent years to enhance and expand the theater-going experience, said Rolando Rodriguez, Marcus Theatres president and CEO. It will include DreamLounger seats — red leather recliners — in every auditorium, two UltraScreen DLX auditoriums with extra-large screens and state-of-the-art sound systems, four Big Screen Bistro auditoriums where customers can eat meals while watching movies, a Zaffiro’s Express pizza place and a Take Five Lounge.

“I happen to believe that it will set the stage for our industry,” Rodriguez said.

Theater chains, including Marcus, have been looking to add to the movie theater experience to better compete with big-screen TVs, home entertainment centers and other entertainment options.

Marcus Theatres, which is owned by Milwaukee-based Marcus Corp., is not releasing the cost of the project, but it’s in the millions of dollars, Rodriguez said. It’s the company’s first brand-new theater in Wisconsin since it opened the Majestic Cinema in Brookfield in 2007.

The company announced plans to build the Sun Prairie theater, replacing Eastgate Cinema on the east side of Madison, more than four years ago. It is expected to open before the holiday season.

The theater will stretch out the movie-going experience, Rodriguez said. Customers can choose to eat during a Big Screen Bistro showing or get pizza before the movie. Afterward, they might want to relax in the Take Five Lounge or even catch a football game on its projector screen.

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
I see a new movie every week. I Love Cinema.

Here are movies I recommend so far:

- CHAPPIE
- IT FOLLOWS
- FURIOUS 7
- REALTOS SALVAJES
- MACFARDLAND, USA

Many of those movies have original stories that show you unique perspectives about stories you may think you already.

I've loved them all for different reasons. Ask questions and I'll share more.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I see a new movie every week. I Love Cinema.

Here are movies I recommend so far:

- CHAPPIE
- IT FOLLOWS
- FURIOUS 7
- REALTOS SALVAJES
- MACFARDLAND, USA

Many of those movies have original stories that show you unique perspectives about stories you may think you already.

I've loved them all for different reasons. Ask questions and I'll share more.
hey welcome to drc mrouzier! :):D:)

i hear nothing but good about it follows and really want to see both that and ex machina. machina wont be in theaters around me for at least another week or so.

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
IT FOLLOWS is great. It's basically a horror STD plaguing a few characters.

What's intriguing is how it's told. It's hard to make a scary movie in context of the digital age, but they found a way to do it and it helps with the pacing and thrills.

I haven't heard of EX MACHINA. I'll look into it now.

Reactions: Ehilbert1 and JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
now thats its the second half of april good movies start coming out again. both the start of the summer blockbusters and the smaller, possible oscar contenders. those first few months of every year really suck for film.

and heres the ex machina trailer...

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
IT FOLLOWS is great. It's basically a horror STD plaguing a few characters.

What's intriguing is how it's told. It's hard to make a scary movie in context of the digital age, but they found a way to do it and it helps with the pacing and thrills.

I haven't heard of EX MACHINA. I'll look into it now.

My wife and I are going to see IT Follows. Looks great.

Sent from my Note 4

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
Can't wait to hear what you think. It's really good to me. We'll talk about it when you get back.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
now thats its the second half of april good movies start coming out again. both the start of the summer blockbusters and the smaller, possible oscar contenders. those first few months of every year really suck for film.

slut

Reactions: JHDK

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
Aww you didn't like the first four months. I've seen some of the best movies I've seen in years so far.

What kind of movies do you like to watch?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Aww you didn't like the first four months. I've seen some of the best movies I've seen in years so far.

What kind of movies do you like to watch?
i like dark comedy movies, superhero movies, indies, disturbing movies and usually i like most of the movies up for best pic every year.

the only 3 movies ive seen this year that are worth even bringing up are chappie, black sea and kingsman. kingsman was fun, not great. black sea was an ok, C to C+ drama, and chappie was just fun. chappie was the best of the three but it was still a shitty movie FULL of MAJOR plot holes. it was billed as sifi and drama but chappie was more of a comedy. by far the best parts of chappie were when the robot was learning to be gangster. i laughed a bunch. when i went into the movie i had no idea who the band die antwoord were and didnt know they played the gangsters. after seeing the movie i looked them up and love em and it makes me like chappie even more, but kinda in the same way i like human centipede, as a huge joke.

ok and i have a million things to say about die antwoord. ill get to that eventually over in my who charted thread. but check them out, they are crazy.

besides ur previous list, what 2015 movies do u think have been so good? cause i agree with chappie and will probably agree with it follows when i see it but disagree on the others. (oh and realtos salvajes AKA wild tales, doesnt count cause it was a 2014 film. that one was quite good.)

Last edited:

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
I see. Cool.

I relate to movies differently. I go to films to believe in the narrative set for me.

I want to 1 - travel to a new reality that 2 - teaches me something new about myself and the world.

That being said, my notable movies are:

THE KINGSMAN - Pure entertainment., so I didn't learn much. Certainly problematic, yet it captures comic book storyline culture really well. This is a movie about a comic, both of which are written by people who get and Love comics. It captures the wild magic of comics and transcribes it effortlessly into film media.

CHAPPiE - Setting is well done here, and no surprise because of the creative team behind it. Though it's not a movie based on acting the characters shine because of how they're portrayed and directed, further deepening the experience. With the storyline we get to play a third party on a conversation of identity, spirituality, life and death, reincarnation, the intersection of science, magic and spirituality. These are conversations that science has led for many years, many projects have captured the snetiment, but this film does it smoothly without being preaching and all the while making it accessible for the average viewer to participate. Masterful feat.

MCFARLAND USA - Rare film. I can't think of a movie that highlights Mexican-American culture in the mainstream. This one does and allows us to identify with perspectives we don't know or appreciate. Granted, it's superficial and light, it's still an important achievement and notable film.

FURIOUS7 - I don't know what it's like to watch this film without seeing the previous six. This series is pure entertainment. As someone who makes movies, I appreciate the well placed, timed and choreogrpaphed action sequences. The set pieces are well done and are as fun as PACIFIC RIM. I love the imaginative action plots that are ridiculous, the storyline of intense loyalty to family (something I can relate to), and how it doesn't take itself too serious yet pays serious respect to its own legacy. This movies pays the best tribute to the strangely intricate series plot and also honoring Paul Walker's role in it. Considering the lead died halfway through shooting, they were able to rewrite and make an even better movie than expected. This adds more heart and warmth to a series that only paid lip service to that romance before.

RELATOS SALVAJES - This didn't get international distribution until recently. Since it came out this year in America, I count it as a 2015 option. This is the most original movie I've seen in years. Can't think of the last time I saw something that wasn't a rehashing of something else. In this case, we're not only identifying with Argentinian culture, but with people undergoing similar challenges we may all face with traffic laws, doubt in our relationships, feeling betrayed, and what and how we choose to react to feelings of revenge. It's an ordinary film that seems over the top, but is yet wholly grounded in what life looks and feels like for the average person. I want more people to see it, and see what they learn from it.

IT FOLLOWS - I want to learn more about the production of this movie. It takes classic horror archetypes, and makes them work nicely in a modern context. Thanks to the scoring, cinematography and plot, we are engrossed in a minimalist horror drama, where the characters are trying to live ordinary lives in the face of an extraordinary threat. Because of those same elements I realize this is about voyeurism. Though not the forefront of the conversation, it helps reframe the idea of what it is to "follow people" and the pressures that come with knowing you are followed. Interesting talking point in the digital age.

--
I'm glad I could share how I relate to cinema. I love making them and watching them. As you can see, I see films for what they contribute to the public consciousness, as well as the technical aspects they employ.

Each of these movies allowed me to believe in something outside myself and inspire my own voice. They are my notable favorites of the year so far. The other movies I saw this year, I consider so-so, but with their merits still.

Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I see. Cool.

I relate to movies differently. I go to films to believe in the narrative set for me.

I want to 1 - travel to a new reality that 2 - teaches me something new about myself and the world.

That being said, my notable movies are:

THE KINGSMAN - Pure entertainment., so I didn't learn much. Certainly problematic, yet it captures comic book storyline culture really well. This is a movie about a comic, both of which are written by people who get and Love comics. It captures the wild magic of comics and transcribes it effortlessly into film media.

CHAPPiE - Setting is well done here, and no surprise because of the creative team behind it. Though it's not a movie based on acting the characters shine because of how they're portrayed and directed, further deepening the experience. With the storyline we get to play a third party on a conversation of identity, spirituality, life and death, reincarnation, the intersection of science, magic and spirituality. These are conversations that science has led for many years, many projects have captured the snetiment, but this film does it smoothly without being preaching and all the while making it accessible for the average viewer to participate. Masterful feat.

MCFARLAND USA - Rare film. I can't think of a movie that highlights Mexican-American culture in the mainstream. This one does and allows us to identify with perspectives we don't know or appreciate. Granted, it's superficial and light, it's still an important achievement and notable film.

FURIOUS7 - I don't know what it's like to watch this film without seeing the previous six. This series is pure entertainment. As someone who makes movies, I appreciate the well placed, timed and choreogrpaphed action sequences. The set pieces are well done and are as fun as PACIFIC RIM. I love the imaginative action plots that are ridiculous, the storyline of intense loyalty to family (something I can relate to), and how it doesn't take itself too serious yet pays serious respect to its own legacy. This movies pays the best tribute to the strangely intricate series plot and also honoring Paul Walker's role in it. Considering the lead died halfway through shooting, they were able to rewrite and make an even better movie than expected. This adds more heart and warmth to a series that only paid lip service to that romance before.

RELATOS SALVAJES - This didn't get international distribution until recently. Since it came out this year in America, I count it as a 2015 option. This is the most original movie I've seen in years. Can't think of the last time I saw something that wasn't a rehashing of something else. In this case, we're not only identifying with Argentinian culture, but with people undergoing similar challenges we may all face with traffic laws, doubt in our relationships, feeling betrayed, and what and how we choose to react to feelings of revenge. It's an ordinary film that seems over the top, but is yet wholly grounded in what life looks and feels like for the average person. I want more people to see it, and see what they learn from it.

IT FOLLOWS - I want to learn more about the production of this movie. It takes classic horror archetypes, and makes them work nicely in a modern context. Thanks to the scoring, cinematography and plot, we are engrossed in a minimalist horror drama, where the characters are trying to live ordinary lives in the face of an extraordinary threat. Because of those same elements I realize this is about voyeurism. Though not the forefront of the conversation, it helps reframe the idea of what it is to "follow people" and the pressures that come with knowing you are followed. Interesting talking point in the digital age.

--
I'm glad I could share how I relate to cinema. I love making them and watching them. As you can see, I see films for what they contribute to the public consciousness, as well as the technical aspects they employ.

Each of these movies allowed me to believe in something outside myself and inspire my own voice. They are my notable favorites of the year so far. The other movies I saw this year, I consider so-so, but with their merits still.
you make some good points there. i look forward to debating more movies with ya. thats one of my favorite things to do around here and u seem to be just as into it as me. :)

Reactions: mrouzier

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
The best movie I've seen this year was What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - IMDb. I'm going to see Roar (1981) - IMDb on Monday. That's the one where Tippi Hedren, her husband, a young Melanie Griffith and a bunch of other people all get mauled by big cats for realsies.
Those look like excellent films.

Jemaine Clément and the rest of the creative team behind FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS made it. I like the more novel take on vampires. What did you like about exactly?

ROAR is produced by Drafthouse Films. Looks like they're all about finding ridiculous movies and sharing what gems they are with their audience. Nice. Are you going to a Drafthouse ciname to see it? Please tell us how it goes.

mrouzier

Apr 16, 2015
you make some good points there. i look forward to debating more movies with ya. thats one of my favorite things to do around here and u seem to be just as into it as me. :)
Sounds good. I don't debate though. There's nothing worth arguing in subjective viewing.

I will happily share what I see and how I think aspects of a film contribute to the world. There's no such thing as a good or bad movie to me. Just ones I love and others that I don't.

Reactions: semipenguin