2009 Predictions

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The NL West is going to stink on Ice short of maybe the Dodgers.

That division should be a whole lot better than it was last season. Dodgers should be good like you say. I think the D-Backs will be solid (picked them to win the West), and Ifandorbut will tell you that the Giants might make some noise. Their pitching staff is tremendous. I just don't see it from Colorado though...but you're probably a lot smarter than me. And then there's San Diego...someone throw Jake Peavy a life raft.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado's offense isn't going to suffer much. Tulowitski is pretty much back to where he was before he got injured, Helton is recovering nicely from his injuries, and this new guy Dexter Fowler is pretty impressive. My biggest concern is keeping injuries down and hoping the starting pitching can be consistent. If that happens, we should be right in it all year.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I haven't looked forward to a season for my Giants more than this year. The last time I was this stoked was in 1988 when they came off a division title and a bed crapping in game 6 against the Cardinals. But this is the first time in.....forever since they've built a better than average one through five for their starting pitching.

There's a few average to below average sticks in the lineup and there isn't anyone that will scare you for going deep with regularity, but the kids play smart fundamental ball and they're exciting to watch. I hope they do well, and I believe they will do well, but it will really be a pleasure to watch them play.

I'll throw down the fun time predictions on Sunday.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Go Yankees!

new-york-yankees2.jpg

As for predictions for this year, I'm afraid I don't really have any. :idunno:

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I predict that the Rangers will have no pitching left by July and fade away, again. I have been watching this pattern since they moved to Arlington from Washington.

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Win Twins!

We're gonna win Twins, we're gonna score...
We're gonna win Twins, watch that baseball soar...
Knock out a home run, shout a hip-horray!
Cheer for the Minnesota Twins today!!

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
My wish is for the Reds to be in at least wild card contention come September. I am tired of the games being meaningless mid-July. :mad:

Just keep it close as I know we will play better defense and have a better bullpen. We shall see how our starting pitching goes. It has a chance to be good. Sorry, it is all about the Reds for me. I don't care who wins the other divisions.

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
My wish is for the Reds to be in at least wild card contention come September. I am tired of the games being meaningless mid-July. :mad:

Just keep it close as I know we will play better defense and have a better bullpen. We shall see how our starting pitching goes. It has a chance to be good. Sorry, it is all about the Reds for me. I don't care who wins the other divisions.

They aren't exactly off to a great start when they get their butts handed to them by the farm team.
Posted via Mobile Device

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

I would rather be completely out of it than close enough to break your hearts every year. The Jays have this pattern ... be 1st place after 1 or 2 weeks .... go on a losing skid ... fall almost out of contention ... play .550 ball for a while .... lose some more (usually when they go to an NL park) ... hang at the borderline for a while .... late July start winning some games .... narrow the deficit ... make a run ... hit a critial 4 game series in early September ... lose 3 out of the 4 ... fade to oblivion with a quick elimination.

As a fan, it would be better to be able to write them off in May.

On paper, the Jays look like a contending team -- good bullpen, reasonable starting pitching ... ok offence. They never put all 3 together. This season will be worse because of 4 inexperienced pitchers in the rotation. I hope it is either widly successful or a horrible failure early on.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
American League East
Boston--98 wins
New York--94 wins

Tampa Bay
Toronto
Baltimore

American League Central
Minnesota--88 wins
Kansas City
Cleveland
Chicago
Detroit

American League West

Los Angeles--90 wins
Oakland
Texas
Seattle

National League East
New York--95 wins
Philadelphia--93 wins

Atlanta
Florida
Washington

National League Central
Chicago---91 wins
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Houston
Pittsburgh

National League West

San Francisco--90 wins
Los Angeles
Arizona
Colorado
San Diego

San Francisco over Minnesota in six games.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I think after the Cubs and the Indians, the Giants have the longest streak without a championship...:shock:

Maybe this will be their year...:)

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I think after the Cubs and the Indians, the Giants have the longest streak without a championship...:shock:

Maybe this will be their year...:)

Yes...not only that but they're the only one of those three that have never won in their current city. The Giants have championships, it's just that they're all New York Giants championships.

All of my picks were done with my gut and my head, my Giants pick was made with my heart. The Dodgers have a stronger hitting team and they're pitching should be good enough. The Giants have excellent starting pitching and decent to great middle relief with a very good closer. Their hitting is decent in patches, but sadly lacking in power. This is why I am excited to see that they can do this year. They're going to have to be scrappy...and I love me some scrappy, beats the hell out of crappy, which is what they've been recently.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
The Yankees should be interesting to watch this year. Their offseason signings have never played under the big microscope of NYC. CC Sabathia has the groin/hamstring issue every spring, which the Cleveland media didn't normally bash, just expected. Will be interesting to see how the NY media takes this type of annual injury, due to his weight. He has had bad stretches (up to 1/2 season) which the Cleveland media accepted as well, but won't fly in NYC. Add A-roid to the equation with an aging Jeter and it could spell trouble.

I'm an Indians fan, but don't expect much from them this year. Betting on guys like Pavano isn't a good thing. They have a lot of talent in the minors, but not quite ready for the big show, yet. They will do ok if the power sticks (Hafner, Martinez) produce and the pitching holds up. Too many things need to unfold correctly for the Indians to flourish.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
All of my picks were done with my gut and my head, my Giants pick was made with my heart. The Dodgers have a stronger hitting team and they're pitching should be good enough. The Giants have excellent starting pitching and decent to great middle relief with a very good closer. Their hitting is decent in patches, but sadly lacking in power. This is why I am excited to see that they can do this year. They're going to have to be scrappy...and I love me some scrappy, beats the hell out of crappy, which is what they've been recently.

John Hart of the MLB Network picks the Giants to be the NL wild card winner.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
John Hart of the MLB Network picks the Giants to be the NL wild card winner.

ESPN has a few writers that picked the Giants and the Reds as dark horse picks. I think the Cubs and the Cards are better than the Reds, and I think the Dodgers...are...eghah...euughhh....I can't do it....the Giants are better.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
semi, do you want to rearrange your order of Dodgers and D'Backs yet?

Dodgers are doing good. I hope they keep it up...:)

I have friends that went to a game this past weekend. I would have loved to have gone. I haven't been to a Dodgers game since I was 13 or 14...:shock:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Dodgers are doing good. I hope they keep it up...:)

I have friends that went to a game this past weekend. I would have loved to have gone. I haven't been to a Dodgers game since I was 13 or 14...:shock:

With a 10-0 start at home how long before we start seeing Zach Efron or Nicole Richie behing the Dodger dugout?

Their pitching has been very good. Their hitting is about where I thought it would be. It will be interesting to see what Ned does during the trade deadline. They look good enough to win the division. The Phillies and the Mets don't look good enough to compete quite yet. I still the Cards are strong enough, provided Albert can stay healthy.