2008 World Series

Discussion in 'MLB' started by Wolf, Oct 19, 2008.

?

Who do you think will win the 2008 World Series

1. Philadelphia Phillies

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. Tampa Bay Rays

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  1. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

Who do you think will win the 2008 World Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Tampa Bay Rays?

I'm cheering for the Phillies over the Rays! Go Phillies!!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I'm not sure if I've made a correct prediction yet this postseason :shock: (except for the Cubs losing)... but I'll say Phillies in 6 games.

I'm so glad Boston is out!

3. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

That was yet another great game. When the sox had the bases loaded in the 7th, I thought it was about to get real close.

4. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the walk of Bay that should have been a strike out didn't come back and play a part in the overall outcome of the game.

5. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

I am still finding it difficult to believe that the Tampa Bay freaking Rays are going to the World Series. This team has been the joke of the league since their birth in '98. If they win a World Series before Houston, I might go a little insane. A name change sure did a world of good for that team.

Hey, I'm sure Wade Boggs is out there somewhere smiling.

[​IMG]

6. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Wow, didn't even think about the fact that Houston hasn't won yet. Well, at least Houston made it first.

7. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it only took 'em 43 years. At that rate...2048 World Series here we come!

8. Ifandorbut

Get in line, pal. The line starts after me with my Giants, the Indians and the Cubs.

A name change was all Tampa Bay needed...the "devil" is in the details.

9. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

At least the Indians and Cubs have won it in the past...you and I have nothin'...bubkus.

10. MichaelC

MichaelC Member

If anything, these LCS provided good preparation for each of these World Series teams. For the Phillies, in playing Tampa Bay they're playing a team similar to the Dodgers. However, the Rays have a bit more pop in their bats than LA did. Conversely, for Tampa Bay, the Phillies are similar to the team they just beat, Boston. A decent pitching staff and good hitting lineup.

Tampa Bay will give Philadelphia a tougher time than the Dodgers did....and seeing how tough a time Boston gave Tampa Bay.....I'll go along with the Phillies in 6 prediction.

Going along the Houston thing, just wondering....has the state of Texas (Astros & Rangers) ever won a World Series? Yet, the state of Florida has only had pro baseball for about 15 years and could be on the verge of winning a 3rd World Series?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  11. Ifandorbut

Not only did the Tampa Bay Rays win tonight, but the Tampa Bay Bucs won tonight and both the Rays and the Bucs were at home.

Useless trivia...

12. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

No, the state of Texas has never won a World series.

I pick the Phillies to win the Series since they have their pitching rotation in order.

The Rays have home field due do the A.L. winning the All-Star game. (A subject I do not want to discuss :mad:)

13. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

That's a gutsy pitching performance turned in by Matt Garza tonight. After giving up that 1st inning HR to Pedroia, he could have very easily pitched Tampa right out of the game. But he went on to give 6+ more innings of scoreless baseball.

And that David Price kid they have might be something special in the future. That's a hell of a spot to put a 23 year old rookie in...bases loaded in the late innings of an ALCS Game 7. He came through though and eventually got the save.

Gotta feel good for guys like Carl Crawford (Houston product) and Rocco Baldelli. They've both been there for a while now and had to endure A LOT of losing before finally getting rewarded this season.

14. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Who cares about the Rangers?

But yeah, that is an interesting point you bring up. In 84 combined years, the 'Stros and Rangers have been to one World Series, winning none. In 27 combined years, the Marlins and Rays have been to 3 World Series, winning at least 2, possibly 3.

15. dantodd

dantodd New Member

Goin' way out on a limb there eh?

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I want to see the Ray's win. I'd be great to see them take it all this year!

17. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

If you went by better record, Tampa would still get home field advantage. I agree though, that All-Star game deciding home field is bogus. It's an EXHIBITION game!

Before the All-Star game started "counting", didn't home field in the WS used to alternate each season between the NL and AL?

18. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Garza was nails tonight- as were all the relief pitchers (Wheeler was a little shaky I guess, but he came into a sh*tty situation). All in all, great series. I would have been happy to see either win tonight. As someone that played baseball for many years, I just love great games!

19. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

As a Yankees fan, I'm sort of neutral in this one. But, I think the edge goes to the Phils. Either way, I think it will be a good World Series. Both teams have some good talent that SHOULD keep things interesting.

20. sbv71

sbv71 Well-Known Member

Tampa over Philly in 6 games.