Yankee Stadium Coming Down

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
They started to pull apart the exterior of the old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. I'm sad to see it go. I've seen a lot of games there.

Photos here...WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Photo Gallery: Deconstructing Yankee Stadium - 4/7/2009

It will be a slow process like Shea. That took a few months (no implosions in NYC). This should be slower as the Shea demolition took place during the off season. It's busy around Yankee Stadium during the season.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That's been a sore spot in the NY media. The Stadium is owned by NY City. Apparently they sold the "contents" of the stadium (anything that's not nailed down) for something ridiculous like $10 million. The auction value of the contents are estimated to be well over $60 million.

Some folks wonder why NY City (given its fiscal woes) is not auctioning off the stuff and benefiting. It's assumed that this was one of the many hidden sweeteners to get the Yankee organization on board with the new stadium plan. Most of these deals end up being bad for the taxpayers.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
So...to answer your question, yes, everything will be or has been sold. Seats, signs, urinals, grass, dirt, etc., etc. You name it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I had a great time there. A classic. I'll miss it.
I have other favorites, (Wrigley,Boston, OLD Detroit) but Yankees exceeded my expectations.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: