XMP3 scheduled recordings, no weekly setting?

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
So I am going form my SL100 to an XMP3, but am I reading correctly that there is no option to set up weekly recordings? I have to set up individual recordings everytime I want to record something? I basically only use the SL100 for recordings and rarely live satelitte radio.

This is how I have my recordings set up.
Record ch 100 for 6 hours every monday starting at 6am weekly. (same for T W TH)
record ch 38 for 2 hours every friday night starting at 11pm weekly.

^^is that not possible? What if I want to record the same show every week? BTW, i read this on XMfan.com or something like that.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
I have a SL100, SL2 and a XMP3.
The Stilettos I can set and forget. When the memory gets full they erase oldest recordings automatically.

With the XMP3 you must delete the recordings after you listen to them. And when the memory gets close to being full you must always check you scheduled recording list. When the XMP3 gets close to full memory it will erase the scheduled recording list. That’s a real pain but you must get into the habit of checking the list. Sometimes when the memory is close to being full it will not erase you old content and you will have to do a restore to erase the memory. I love the little XMP3 and can’t wait for XM to come up with a firmware update. I’ve had my XMP3 for two months.

Setting up the XMP3 to record CH 100 on Mon though Thursday is a pain. You would have to do it weekly and that is four different show you would have to schedule. (M,T,W,T) as much as the XMP3 erases the schedule, it would be much easier to set it to record ch 100 for 6 hours everyday and delete Fri, Sat and Sunday’s show.
Your Friday weekly show will be no trouble to set, just make sure you have enough free memory and check your schedule Friday evening. Also I have a 8gb card for my MP3’s and have my auto record set to off.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Setting up the XMP3 to record CH 100 on Mon though Thursday is a pain. You would have to do it weekly and that is four different show you would have to schedule. (M,T,W,T) as much as the XMP3 erases the schedule, it would be much easier to set it to record ch 100 for 6 hours everyday and delete Fri, Sat and Sunday’s show.
Your Friday weekly show will be no trouble to set, just make sure you have enough free memory and check your schedule Friday evening. Also I have a 8gb card for my MP3’s and have my auto record set to off.

hmm...why would it be easy to record the friday show? Would I have to set it up to record every week, or woud I have to set it up to record every night?

I guess I will have to wait and see. I think this may be a deal breaker though, and have to go back to the stiletto. I record stuff almost every night at different times. If I can't set up individual recordings for each day of the week, it won't be worth it. Friday nights alone I record 12 hours of material, and I hate to have to set that up every week.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I guess I'm confused.

I can go into the Settings, then XM Menu, then Schedule Recording, then I pick Weekly, pick the day of the week, and the start and end times, and channel.

Admittedly you need to make one event for each 'day', but it's still not a big deal once it is set.

If I'm missing the situation, let me know. I admit that the XMP3 reminds me how much I love my Stiletto 2 but.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
I guess I'm confused.

I can go into the Settings, then XM Menu, then Schedule Recording, then I pick Weekly, pick the day of the week, and the start and end times, and channel.

Admittedly you need to make one event for each 'day', but it's still not a big deal once it is set.

If I'm missing the situation, let me know. I admit that the XMP3 reminds me how much I love my Stiletto 2 but.

setting to weekly record works fine but when the memory gets near full the recording schedule erases.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
See that sucks and is a software bug. They should alert you that the memory is full or give you the option of canning older like recordings, etc.

I get what you mean. I wish I had a contact to report this to. I think that's a pretty big oversight.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
ah, i got it. i see now.

Another question: The XMP3 will ONLY record when docked? This is a bummer too, as I record the stern show every morning. If i can only record when docked, this may be an issue. I guess I would have to listen to the west coast feed at work. I don't like that because then you can't just click through the commercials/parts I dislike. Does anybody have any suggestions?

This is how I use my units:
- PLug it in home dock at night
- get up and take the unit to car and plug into car while listening to replay of stern show
-plug it into dock at work
-listen to rest of replay of show, then delete recording.

If I pull the unit from the home dock, and trasfer it to the car dock, will it stop recording, or will there just be a pause in the replay?

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Another question: The XMP3 will ONLY record when docked?

Well, I was able to answer some of my own questions. I will only record scheduled recordings when docked, but when it isn't docked you set it to record the channel

If I pull the unit from the home dock, and trasfer it to the car dock, will it stop recording, or will there just be a pause in the replay?

It stops recording. Another huge bummer. The stiletto will just force its way though it, and continue recording. On the playback it just has a "skip" so to speak, where the unit lost signal.

One other major issue I see right now is not being able to play recorded content/mp3s if the unit is recording. That I don't like, and I don't know how to get around it with howard.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
Having all Three, SL10, SL2, and XMP3 and being in your shoes I'd get the Stiletto 2. It will do everything you want that the XMP3 does not.

I listen to the Stern Show one day behind. I’ve done this since he came to Sirius. I used to record from a Sirius 1 Radio to my computer and then add the MP3’s to my ipod and listen the next day at work. I drive a fork lift and can’t get a Sirius signal in the building I work in. Then I bought two Stiletto 100s and would leave one at home recording and the other one would be at work with me listening to recorded content. I went through a few SL100, bad wheels, broken on/off switches, etc.
I bought a SL2 but the battery life was not good enough for me. So I went back to the iPod for a while.
Then I found out that there is a XM repeater 5 miles from my work place. I bought a XMP3 and can listen live. I still record at night and listen during the day.
This is what I do: My Stiletto 2 records ch 100 from 12am to 6am
My XMp3 records ch100 12am to 6am, ch 101 1am to 5am, ch128 12am to 6am.
I still record the 6am to 12pm Stern Show on my computer for my iPod. Reason, If something happens on the first live show that they to cut out on the replys, I don’t want to miss it.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I listen to the Stern Show one day behind.

well...i think i figured out what I am going to do. I will listen one day behind just like you, and will record the stern show from 12am to 6am. I was previously trying to do this with my stiletto when I first got it, but I missed out on so many of my other shows that I record (techno mix shows). With the XMP3 I can record the Stern show and everything else I want. As long as the unit isn't recording something during the day, I'm golden. I am also going to have to see how the XMP3 plays the stern show back compared to the stiletto.

Do they take stuff out all that often? I think I have heard of that happening once or twice.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
well...i think i figured out what I am going to do. I will listen one day behind just like you, and will record the stern show from 12am to 6am. I was previously trying to do this with my stiletto when I first got it, but I missed out on so many of my other shows that I record (techno mix shows). With the XMP3 I can record the Stern show and everything else I want. As long as the unit isn't recording something during the day, I'm golden. I am also going to have to see how the XMP3 plays the stern show back compared to the stiletto.

The interesting thing about the XMP3 is that it seems to record Howard 100/101 in Radio Replay mode too. This isn't true for the Stiletto 2.

Do they take stuff out all that often? I think I have heard of that happening once or twice.

It's rare and usually the missing material hits the Internet in mp3 pretty quick.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
The interesting thing about the XMP3 is that it seems to record Howard 100/101 in Radio Replay mode too. This isn't true for the Stiletto 2.

what does that mean?

It's rare and usually the missing material hits the Internet in mp3 pretty quick.

yeah, i wasn't all that concerned regarding that aspect.

Quick question: Everyone says the main fault of the XMP3 is it deletes your scheduled recordings when the memory gets full.
-What is full? 80%? 75%?
-How do I eliminate this? connect XMP3 to computer and delete files via the computer?
-can I do this once every 2 weeks or so and be in good shape?
-I am good about deleting the files after I listen to them, but is it true it is only truely deleted via the computer?

The reason I ask this is because I record A LOT. Setting up those recordings can be tedious. It was when I had the stiletto, and I had to do a device recovery every 3 months or so, and it was such a pain in the arse to do the scheduled recordings again.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
This is what I do:
I erase all the recordings when I'm done with them.
I keep checking how full the memory gets.
Sometimes when about 80% full the schedule recording list disappears. Thats when I hook my XMP3 to the computer and reset and erase it. If I try to just erase the files with the computer without a reset the schedule recording list almost always disappears. this happens every 2 to 3 weeks.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I quickly gave up trying to schedule recordings on the xmp3. The execution is very poor. It's a shame because the multiple tuners make it ideal for recording. It's very hard to find the recording you want because of the way it's organized. Playback is screwy because every segment and commercial of a recording session is saved as a separate recording like an individual song. Mine wouldn't record a new show unless I listened to the ones It already recorded. It was just too much of a hassle. If you want to always have a ton of music handy, the xmp3 is for you. Constantly recording your 5 favorite channels means you always have tons of content. But If like me, you want to record a show at a specific time, and listen when you want then stick with the Stiletto. I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I'm hoping for a multi-tuner Stiletto.

Last edited:

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
If it were me I'd remove the programs via the device and not the computer. The computer shouldn't be a factor in operation of the device unless you're loading mp3s or upgrading firmware.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
erase recordings via the unit.
when erasing stops working thru the unit than you must do a reset.

hmmm...i read the opposite at XMfan. they say only erase through the comp.

Well, one thing i did find out is you can make a back-up file of your scheduled recordings list, so when it gets deleted, instead of manually typing in every record, you dump the file in. For me this will save a ton of time, as I probably record 20 shows throughout the week

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
hmmm...i read the opposite at XMfan. they say only erase through the comp.

Well, one thing i did find out is you can make a back-up file of your scheduled recordings list, so when it gets deleted, instead of manually typing in every record, you dump the file in. For me this will save a ton of time, as I probably record 20 shows throughout the week

I read that also but almost everytime I hook my XMP3 up to the computer the Scheduled Recording list disappears.

I would like to try the backup schedule file thing.

These units are funky.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I would like to try the backup schedule file thing.

-Enter you recording schedule as normal into the XMP3
-connect unit to PC, but don't go into XM2go, use windows explorer
- got to INTERNAL MEMORY > SYS
-copy file RECORDING SESSIONS.TLV onto your PC somewhere
-when the recording schedule gets deleted, paste the RECORDING SESSIONS.TLV file from the PC back into the unit, replacing the old one.

VOILA! recording schedule back on! :churn:

I wish it was that easy on a stiletto with all the times I had to do a device recovery