XMp3 Review

etomd

Oct 30, 2008
I appreciate the review for the XMP3, but one very important feature that was seemingly left out was the reviewer's evaluation of reception quality. I do enjoy listening to music with the ability to record songs and other programming. However, 99% of the reason I would purchase the XMP3 is because I will be out and about in public listening to CNN, Fox News, ESPN, talk radio, etc. as well as music. I already have a satellite built into my car and one in my home. I also have an iPod Touch.

There is a vast amount of quality programming available outside of music that it seems many reviews for the XMP3 lack detailed evaluation of the reception quality. I am in the gym everyday and if I cannot listen to programming I want to with quality reception. If music quality were the only facet of the device I were interested in, I would stick to my iPod Touch.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Please offer input, it would be greatly appreciated.

etomd

Oct 30, 2008
Sorry for the occasionally incomprehensible statements in my last post. I just woke up from an overnight shift.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually if you read the discussion in the thread, I did address reception. Someone asked if the antenna headphones are absolutely necessary. My reply was that the built in antenna reception is amazing. Now with that said, does that mean it will work that way where you live or if you are inside a train or inside a bus? I don't think any reviewer can logically answer those questions. We know that for the most part sat radio does to some degree require line of site unless you are in a location where there is a repeater.

What else can you really say?

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Can the XMP3 be set to record while sitting (without power, car off) in the car kit?

Has anyone used it to record ESPN (like Mike and Mike or The Herd)?

How about talk shows?

The reason is I want to record Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, Mike & Mike, The Herd, and Moving the Chains on NFL radio, and some of that time I will not be in the car (the XMP3 will) and I want to have a radio that records my shows.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No, I don't think you can't set it to record without power and I think you must have the home dock to setup a scheduled recording, but in my testing I didn't have a car dock.

Yes, I tested recording ESPN, The NFL Channel and a couple of other talk channels. It records those with no problems.

Reactions: TX WJ

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
No, I don't think you can't set it to record without power and I think you must have the home dock to setup a scheduled recording, but in my testing I didn't have a car dock.

Yes, I tested recording ESPN, The NFL Channel and a couple of other talk channels. It records those with no problems.

Can it record out of the Dock?

Can you hook an antenna up to it, out of the dock?

Thanks for answering all these questions.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
There are no antennas that hook directly to it and I never tried, but do not think it will record schedule recordings out of the dock. You could probably manual do a recording though.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
There are no antennas that hook directly to it and I never tried, but do not think it will record schedule recordings out of the dock. You could probably manual do a recording though.
This is why I haven't bought a Stiletto either.

I am in the car 4-5 days a week so I guess I am S.O.L. again.:cool:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am in the car 4-5 days a week so I guess I am S.O.L. again.:cool:
Given what you want to do, I'd say you might be right. Maybe someone will come along that has one of these with a car dock. Like I said I didn't have a car dock, but all indications are that it won't record using the schedule recording in any dock except the home dock.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Hey DAB or Taylor, can you check something out on this unit for me? I'm wondering if when the power is removed from the dock if it continues to use it's external antenna (as the Inno does) or if it goes dumb and doesn't think there's an antenna attached at all (as the Stiletto does).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hey DAB or Taylor, can you check something out on this unit for me? I'm wondering if when the power is removed from the dock if it continues to use it's external antenna (as the Inno does) or if it goes dumb and doesn't think there's an antenna attached at all (as the Stiletto does).
Sorry I sent the unit back to Taylor and it is my understanding he is it loaned out to the guys at Sirius Buzz. So, Unfortunately we can't test it out for you.

I would think based on my use that when you just yank it from the dock while it is on it would immediately switch to the internal antenna and provided there is a signal it can receive it would continue working.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sorry I sent the unit back to Taylor and it is my understanding he is it loaned out to the guys at Sirius Buzz. So, Unfortunately we can't test it out for you.

I would think based on my use that when you just yank it from the dock while it is on it would immediately switch to the internal antenna and provided there is a signal it can receive it would continue working.
I think he was talking about when only the power is disconnected.

If it is like every other XM radio, it would use the external antenna. My Tao can lose power and still keep on working with the external antenna. I think this is part of the XM design philosophy so it would be unlikely to change.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think he was talking about when only the power is disconnected.

If it is like every other XM radio, it would use the external antenna. My Tao can lose power and still keep on working with the external antenna. I think this is part of the XM design philosophy so it would be unlikely to change.
Well if you yank it from the dock power is disconnected, but if you unplug power the dock, I don't think it would automatically switch to the built in antenna, but then I've never really tried that, so it may. IF it does it on your Tao it likely does it on the XMp3, though Sirius may have had a bit of a hand in its design, you never know.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well if you yank it from the dock power is disconnected, but if you unplug power the dock, I don't think it would automatically switch to the built in antenna, but then I've never really tried that, so it may. IF it does it on your Tao it likely does it on the XMp3, though Sirius may have had a bit of a hand in its design, you never know.

I think you misread the question.

I'm wondering if when the power is removed from the dock if it continues to use it's external antenna (as the Inno does) or if it goes dumb and doesn't think there's an antenna attached at all (as the Stiletto does).
I answered that question in that it likely would as most XM radios do.

Nov 13, 2008
Just curious if any of you who own a xmp3 are having battery issues when listening to mp3 or auto recorded stuff?