XMP3 going crazy shuttind down and restarting every few minutes

GreenHornet99

Oct 17, 2008
My XMP3 has started going crazy when I use it as a portible. It starts shutting down and then restarting all the time...anyone else have this problem? I did buy the extended warranty at Best Buys canadian subsidiary Future Shop so I may take it back.

Thanks,

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Is this in the car dock? Is the battery charged all the way? Is it plugged in and charging?

This will happen to me in the car dock if it accidentally get unplugged and has to run off of battery power.

I hope that helps :)

GreenHornet99

Oct 17, 2008
Actually I don't use it in the car only at home in the dock or as a portable. Usually it shows as fully charged and then when the shutting down cycle starts it comes back as if it has minimal power...previously showing full power and only used as portable for less than 30 minutes.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Bad battery.

Regardless of the isssue, if you have the warranty, I know I wouldn't hesitate to return it - I mean, that's not a cheap purchase.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Mine acts like that too when I listen live & portable. It works fine when I listen to recorded music. You either need a new battery or a portable power source.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Actually I don't use it in the car only at home in the dock or as a portable. Usually it shows as fully charged and then when the shutting down cycle starts it comes back as if it has minimal power...previously showing full power and only used as portable for less than 30 minutes.
I'm having the same problem, it's the battery.

J_T_Brown

My old XMP3 did very similar in September, recorded programs would 'stutter' when played, then it wouldn't hold a charge, then wouldn't work even if it was in the base plugged in. Less than a year old I wouldn't have thought the battery would have been bad yet considering my MyFi has never had a battery go bad yet. I contacted Pioneer and after hassling with them and having to prove it was 9 months old (what good is registering a product?), they had me send the unit (minus battery) and replaced the unit. They would never say if the problem was just a battery problem or a unit problem. The replacement radio sent had a 30 day warranty and NO battery! Luckily I had suspected the problem was battery related and had already ordered a new battery (NOT from Pioneer but a stock battery) So far the "new" XMP3 has been working fine. Except for that problem which was first ever for any of the 9 sat radios we've had over the years for me this is still the best radio yet. I listen all day every day at work on it.

Last edited:

GreenHornet99

Oct 17, 2008
I'm really getting a workout with these XMP3's just returned my 3rd one same basic problem of it shutting down all the time. So on my 4th one starting tonight...all Pioneer version.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Oy. This thing sounds like a real turd. It looks like they've given up on the portable radios, which is too bad because I've upgraded 4 people into Inno's and they all perform like a pack of workhorses. Not a problem among them, and they all love the extra features. I'm going to stock up on Inno's and accessories. :bigthumbup:

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I just picked up a refurb'd Nexus.

I like it a lot - it allows me to re-use my mini-tuner and gives me something portable which I can use to listen to recorded programs. I don't see the portable tuner working out all that well for me because most of the time I'd be walking through the woods - thus the reason I went with the Nexus.

My only complains about it:
- The menus are a little wonky. I get where they're going with it now but it certainly wasn't obvious when I started (for doing things like listening to recorded music). The interesting thing is that they give you so many ways to view the recorded music that it seems a little confusing at first.
- You can't listen to a recorded program and record at the same time.

Other than that, as long as you know you're not going to be in portable mode and listening to live XM, I think it makes a great little radio/compromise.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I started out with a Nexus 25 too. It was fine, but I get such good xm ground repeater signal with my Inno, that I can walk all over town and not drop a signal when portable. :p

missxmp3i

Dec 21, 2011
Thank you Greenhornet99,

My Xmp3i is doing the same thing when i'm listening to my XM radio at work(live programming) . This problem has been going on for a week and this post made my day. One good thing, my radio is fine at home when i use the dock but the radio shuts down and restart when i don't use the dock an battery run.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Next year will be three years I've been using my XMP3. It's almost paid for its lifetime subscription, even with its problems...

Battery life sucks. It reboots itself once a month. I set it so it will stay on whenever I start my truck yet it will still shut off half the time.

Don't know if I'll replace it sometime next year. Don't know if I want to give SiriusXM anymore of my money. My just wait until it dies, then replace it. I still have a Sirius Sportster Replay with a lifetime sub I can still use

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk :)