XMP3 And Lifetime Subscription Issues

seanzies

Jun 10, 2009
I have a lifetime subscription to XM and purchased the XMP3 in January of this year. I upgraded and paid the $75 transfer fee. My radio quit working in May. I contacted Pioneer and they are sending me a replacement unit free of charge. However, XM says they will charge me the $75 transfer fee again. This will be my third and final radio that is allowed on my lifetime subscription. What happens if the new radio breaks again? Would it mean I just paid $550 for less than a year of service? Should I get a refund from Pioneer and re-activate my old radio that I had for 5 years?

I'm very disappointed with the customer service of XM. They say that they told me when I signed up, the membership is for the lifetime of the radio and if it is defective, it will count against me. I asked to see a document I signed or hear a recorded phone call with someone telling me this. They can't produce either one. I am 100% sure I wasn't told about a defective radio counting against me. I never would've signed up for the lifetime.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm beyond frustrated and a service that I thought I could never live without, has me thinking about canceling.

Sean

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I have a lifetime subscription to XM and purchased the XMP3 in January of this year. I upgraded and paid the $75 transfer fee. My radio quit working in May. I contacted Pioneer and they are sending me a replacement unit free of charge. However, XM says they will charge me the $75 transfer fee again. This will be my third and final radio that is allowed on my lifetime subscription. What happens if the new radio breaks again? Would it mean I just paid $550 for less than a year of service? Should I get a refund from Pioneer and re-activate my old radio that I had for 5 years?

I'm very disappointed with the customer service of XM. They say that they told me when I signed up, the membership is for the lifetime of the radio and if it is defective, it will count against me. I asked to see a document I signed or hear a recorded phone call with someone telling me this. They can't produce either one. I am 100% sure I wasn't told about a defective radio counting against me. I never would've signed up for the lifetime.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm beyond frustrated and a service that I thought I could never live without, has me thinking about canceling.

Sean

Don't buy radios from XM. Buy from Best Buy or Tss-radio. They will honor warranties.

seanzies

Jun 10, 2009
Don't buy radios from XM. Buy from Best Buy or Tss-radio. They will honor warranties.

Pioneer honored the warranty. XM is charging me to activate another radio. I'm only allowed to activate 3 radios over the lifetime subscription. If I activate the replacement, it's number three.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
From what SIRIUS told me they only charge the transfer fee if the unit is upgraded NOT due to a warranty replacement.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
I don't have any lifetime subscriptions but over the years I've changed a bunch of radios with Sirius.
I had a Stiletto 100 go bad about two months ago and they charged me 15 bucks to swap radios. I said the radio was bad, they said they need to charge a fee to swap.

I bought a XMP3 May 5th, I paid for a year in advance and the radio went bad and I went to Best Buy to get a replacement. XM still charged me to swap radios.
I argued with the rep till I was blue in the face. they would not swap my radio without a $15.00 charge.

I even e-mailed cust service and had not luck.

They keep this crap up SiriusXM will loose customers:mad:

seanzies

Jun 10, 2009
This has always been the policy at Sirius. I think you should call back and ask to speak to a Supervisor.

I've went as high as they will let me and I'm waiting for a call from some type of manager. I've been waiting for two days. They tell me that the lifetime service is only for the lifetime of the radio and I will have to pay the $75. I'm more concerned about activating another XMP3 and having it go bad.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
All this crap with the radios makes me wonder whether they're trying to steer people from buying anymore hardware and just going with the internet/online or iPhone apps (when it's finally out!). And just keep the factory service in the cars to appease the OEMs.

ericshmerick

Mar 2, 2009
It's clear they are trying to make everyone reach their 3 transfer maximum, thus accelerating the end of the lifetime sub. Once that third radio dies, guess what? Your revenue stream starts back up and SiriusXM smiles.
By the way, I use Wunderradio on my iPhone 3GS and stream Sirius / XM in my car via Bluetooth. I own an SMP3 and Stiletto 100, both have lifetime subs. I actually find the iPhone to be more convenient.

At least I will have basic streaming free for life. I hope.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I've had the same lifetime subscription on a Sirius Sportster Replay for over four years now. I also have a lifetime sub on an XMP3 that I have used almost daily since early Jan of this year.

SiriusXM is not trying to make people reach their max. If you get a lifetime sub, those are the chances you take. Some people never have a problem. Others do. Them's the breaks :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device