XM SkyDock: Already a winner for Sirius XM Radio?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008

It has only been a few days since Sirius XM Radio released the SkyDock and after looking around the Web it appears that Sirius XM has a really great product that consumers have been looking for.

I found three reviews on Amazon.com stating:

Absolutely Impressed!!!

XM SkyDock is a winner

Great product and Xmas gift !!!

then I took a look over at Bestbuy.com and saw “WOW! Best Sounding iPhone Dock PERIOD!”

This is pretty exciting news considering the product was released early by Sirius XM. I also expect the SkyDock to be a popular item for Satellite Listeners this Christmas.

If you picked up a SkyDock we would love to hear what you think about it. Stop over by our forums ( Digital Radio Central ) and give us a review.

I’m was recently thinking about getting Sirius XM for the office at work and it looks like the SkyDock may be just what I need.

---
View the original Article at Digital Radio Magazine or discuss it here.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Hopefully they're using it for satellite radio. It doesn't really help Sirius XM if they're buying it for their iPhones.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hopefully they're using it for satellite radio. It doesn't really help Sirius XM if they're buying it for their iPhones.

I agree, but I think the point is that if you were planning to buy a dock for charging or listening through your radio. Why not spend a few bucks more and get one that does all that, plus gives you sat radio. I will certainly use mine at times for other things than listening to sat radio and that is the great part of it.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
How are you going to use a Skydock at your office at work? Do you have cigarette liters on the desks?

I have something like this in my garage. (MyFi car it) You can probably get something less expensive though.

Sunforce AC to DC Power Converter | Inverter Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How are you going to use a Skydock at your office at work? Do you have cigarette liters on the desks?

I certainly could setup something to have a cig lighter at my desk, but that isn't the point. Clearly this device is being marketed for the car (plain and simple). Those with iPod Touch's and iPhone's would likely stream via the SXM's other application while at home or the office. If having access to full sat radio via sats is important at the home or office you'd have to consider another solution.

This device won't cure world hunger either! LOL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I certainly could setup something to have a cig lighter at my desk, but that isn't the point. Clearly this device is being marketed for the car (plain and simple). Those with iPod Touch's and iPhone's would likely stream via the SXM's other application while at home or the office. If having access to full sat radio via sats is important at the home or office you'd have to consider another solution.

This device won't cure world hunger either! LOL

They probably figure that at home, the iPhone could stream XMRO. Most people with iPhones would have WiFi in the home.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The XM iPhone non-Skydock app doesn't have all the channels, including H100 and 101.

That is true, but it mostly sports that is missing! Also not everyone has sat radio for Howard! If I am at home I am going to watch sports on TV, so I don't need access to them via the sats. It is when I have to be away and on the road that I'll still have access to listen to sports. I also have the family friendly sub, so I don't get Howard on the XM side anyway even though I have BOS for the NFL when I travel. LOL

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The XM iPhone non-Skydock app doesn't have all the channels, including H100 and 101.

That is true, but it mostly sports that is missing! Also not everyone has sat radio for Howard! If I am at home I am going to watch sports on TV, so I don't need access to them via the sats. It is when I have to be away and on the road that I'll still have access to listen to sports. I also have the family friendly sub, so I don't get Howard on the XM side anyway even though I have BOS for the NFL when I travel. LOL

I also have Pocket Tunes which does stream Howard via my iPhone/iPod Touch, so if there is a will there is a way without having to worry about the sats.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008

I also have Pocket Tunes which does stream Howard via my iPhone/iPod Touch, so if there is a will there is a way without having to worry about the sats.

True, but most people don't like the idea of not having access to EVERYTHING if they are paying for it.

ravens#1

Sep 20, 2009

A desktop cigarette lighter adapter for all your office needs...

"save energy and waste basket space by eliminating the shredder"

" sprinkler testing made simple"

"fed up? fire up a cuban" or "go out with an M-80 bang"

;)

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
True, but most people don't like the idea of not having access to EVERYTHING if they are paying for it.

I don't think I consider this really a major strike against the Skydock! It is designed for the car and if you want something that does both car and home, then this isn't it? Though in reality there are options to get everything with the exception of live sports programming streaming on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I think as long as folks do their home work they will clearly understand this, so this in my opinion is a moot issue.

hampstenj

Oct 16, 2009
I don't think I consider this really a major strike against the Skydock! It is designed for the car and if you want something that does both car and home, then this isn't it? Though in reality there are options to get everything with the exception of live sports programming streaming on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I think as long as folks do their home work they will clearly understand this, so this in my opinion is a moot issue.

actually all one would have to do is get a car plugin to AC adapter, and then you could plug in your skydock to the car plugin side and batta bing batta boom. if you have a wireless home stereo system w/ FM put it near that and your FM should work just as well and you have XM throughout the whole house! of course you would have to go back to the skydock if you wanted to change channels, but it really is not THAT hard to get the skydock to work in the house.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
actually all one would have to do is get a car plugin to AC adapter, and then you could plug in your skydock to the car plugin side and batta bing batta boom. if you have a wireless home stereo system w/ FM put it near that and your FM should work just as well and you have XM throughout the whole house! of course you would have to go back to the skydock if you wanted to change channels, but it really is not THAT hard to get the skydock to work in the house.

I agree with you 100%, however I don't want us to get lost on the fact that the XM Skydock is not made for home use. It is clearly marked on the packaging "Enjoy Live Satellite Radio Anywhere You Drive".

However, for the record you can use a DC Power Adapter and if you have one that works on a workbench like I have at home it is very simply to get this to work.

Again the XM Skydock is designed for use in a vehicle, so lets be clear about that.

hampstenj

Oct 16, 2009
I agree with you 100%, however I don't want us to get lost on the fact that the XM Skydock is not made for home use. It is clearly marked on the packaging "Enjoy Live Satellite Radio Anywhere You Drive".

However, for the record you can use a DC Power Adapter and if you have one that works on a workbench like I have at home it is very simply to get this to work.

Again the XM Skydock is designed for use in a vehicle, so lets be clear about that.

agreed for sure, but if you needed a home use for a once in a while usage, it should work very well.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
agreed for sure, but if you needed a home use for a once in a while usage, it should work very well.

Yeah, I did it already when I first got it, so you are correct! I am just not one to be moving this thing around a whole lot. For me it will be in my company car from Monday Morning till Thursday, then Thursday when I get home (off on Friday - Sunday) I'll put it in my personal vehicle which I use all weekend. So, we'll see how it holds up moving it weekly as I'll be doing.