XM Sirius Readies for Launch of Geostationary Satellite

litterbox

Feb 4, 2009
Ohio
Satellite Radio TechWorld

XM Sirius Readies for Launch of Geostationary Satellite
Sirius XM filed an application today with the FCC IB "to use the S- and X-band antennas on its Ellenwood, Georgia earth station (Call sign E080168) to provide launch and early orbit phase (“LEOPâ€) services to, and in orbit testing (“IOTâ€) of, its FM-5 satellite (call sign S2710)." The launch of its FM-5 geostationary satellite is scheduled to launch on June 29, 2009 into the 96 degree W.L. orbit. This will be the first geostationary satellite in the old Sirius constellation. The satellite will improve the reception of satellite radio in the US and Canada.

Home reception should improve!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
So...how is this sucker going to work? If you have 2 elliptical sats already on two of three of Sirius' frequency "bands", plus the ground repeaters on the third "band", what frequency would the geostationary bird use?

The only thing I can think of is if they shut off one of the two visible elliptical sats in favor of the geostationary bird.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Bla, bla, bla, bla, better reception.
That's what I heard.

I think this is a another good sign for us. Sure they are wrestling with the money right now, but they are still investing in their future.

I like it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So...how is this sucker going to work? If you have 2 elliptical sats already on two of three of Sirius' frequency "bands", plus the ground repeaters on the third "band", what frequency would the geostationary bird use?

The only thing I can think of is if they shut off one of the two visible elliptical sats in favor of the geostationary bird.

God I hope they don't. The only reason I get reception where I am is due to the non-stationary sats. Sirius repeater coverage SUCKS! The only way I get XM is because their repeater coverage is good.

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008

Normally, there are always two elliptical satellites north of the equator that broadcast to the continental US. Of course, there are also ground based repeaters.

Sirius receivers can only pick up three signals at once, so they'll have to shut down one of the signals.

If they use the new geo sat for the Sirius system, they could have it broadcasting all the time and then only use one of the elliptical satellites.

If they handed off at just the right time, then you'd always have one of the elliptical satellite broadcasting from the north and the geo satellite broadcasting from the south.

Having the signal coming down from the north and south sky prevents shadowing in areas with no repeater. The fixed satellite will make it so people at home can plunk their antenna in a south window and not lose the signal during the day. (This has probably been the most frustrating thing with Sirius).

I hope they do this :)

Reactions: semipenguin

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
If i'm not mistaken I believe Sirius had planed more than 2 years ago to put up a new Sat. and deactivate one. If you search the old SBS threads you might find it.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
If i'm not mistaken I believe Sirius had planed more than 2 years ago to put up a new Sat. and deactivate one. If you search the old SBS threads you might find it.

You would be right.

The only thing that kind of sucks about this press release is they aren't clear on which (or both) service this will benefit (I know Sirius, but still come on, can't you give us a LITTLE more info?)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You would be right.

The only thing that kind of sucks about this press release is they aren't clear on which (or both) service this will benefit (I know Sirius, but still come on, can't you give us a LITTLE more info?)

Gary Parsons said in the merger pre-amble that all future sats by either company would be able to broadcast over the whole spectrum. Whether that is enabled is another question but it should be able to do it.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I don't know about you folks, but I get only spotty sat signal with the home antenna in the window for XM. On the North side of the house, no sat signal where the Sirius signal was 6 bars strong every minute of the day. In the car, Sirius was great, where XM drops out at really strange places where Sirius was strong. If not for the repeaters, XM satellite signal, at least for me is inferior.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't know about you folks, but I get only spotty sat signal with the home antenna in the window for XM. On the North side of the house, no sat signal where the Sirius signal was 6 bars strong every minute of the day. In the car, Sirius was great, where XM drops out at really strange places where Sirius was strong. If not for the repeaters, XM satellite signal, at least for me is inferior.

Same here for my N window. If they turn off these birds, my Sirius unit will be useless at home since unlike XM, Sirius repeater coverage sucks the big one.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Yeah, it's weird though. The "1" Sirius repeater we have here in downtown Portland served me better than the 10 XM repeaters while I'm in the office. 9th floor of the building. around 11:30-1:00, the XM repeaters flake out everyday.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah, it's weird though. The "1" Sirius repeater we have here in downtown Portland served me better than the 10 XM repeaters while I'm in the office. 9th floor of the building. around 11:30-1:00, the XM repeaters flake out everyday.

At work, the 1 Sirius repeater is great. At home, I am too far away (but get the Sirius sats). I am in range of 2 of the 6 XM repeaters at home though which allows for great XM reception (no XM sats). They seem to be affected by weather more than sat signals.