XM Removing Channels Tonight from DirecTV

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by Scott Greczkowski, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Just got word that a number of XM Channels will be removed tonight from the DirecTV lineup. These channels are being removed by XM and is not something DirecTV is removing on their own.

The channels being removed are:

824 - U Pop Hits
    860 - The System
    862 - World Zone

(I believed these channels were programmed by WorldSpace)

The channels will be removed tonight at midnight eastern time.

2. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

What will they replace it with.

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Given that Worldspace is bankrupt and in the final stages of complete financial collapse, this is not surprising. These are XMRO only channels right now anyways.

4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I wonder if they will be removed from the XMRO as well?

5. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Sounds like a good guess. I mean if the company that provided that content has gone under how would they produce them?

semipenguin likes this.
  6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Agreed, I just thought they might be taking them off DirecTV sooner rather than later.

7. DirecTV was just informed these channels were going away just a few hours ago.

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

I suspect XM was told the same thing with the same notice. Like I said, when the final switch at WorldSpace is turned off, it won't have much notice.

9. flap_jackson

flap_jackson Well-Known Member

They said that U-Pop was only going to be around temporarily after it was removed from the satellites, so I imagine these channels are just being axed. Not like anybody cared anyhow.

10. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Yes, they have all been removed from XMRO.

Ngoma has also been removed.

11. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

UPop is gone. Luckily I mimic'd it on my Slacker.

12. ToyGuy68

ToyGuy68 New Member

Ngoma, U-Pop and WorldSpace, oh my!

Hi everyone --

Some of these questions may be answered within the archives, but I hope someone can bring a new forum member up to speed.

(1) Why has NGOMA always gotten the short shrift? I subscribed to XM in the early 2000s primarily for the variety - Ngoma was one of my favorites. I was angry when they dropped it from radio in 05 - the lone African channel alongside multiple Christian and Country choices. Listernship is listernship, but if it's space on the band why not go as broad as possible?

(2) Now it appears NGOMA has been dropped from XMRO - even worse. Wasn't there also an Asian channel that is also gone now? Does this have something to do with the financial stability of 1WORLDSPACE - which seems to be the "rest-of-world" provider that originates the programming? Or was NGOMA still being programmed by XM, just not broadcast via the satellite?

(3) If WORLDSPACE programming is not available in the U.S. and they "can't guarantee reliable signal in Australia" beyond Asian leak-through to the Top End, why are there now offices listed in Australia and Maryland (the HQ)?

Just wondering. I still pay for XM even though (like many people) I only listen to about 10 of 170 channels regularly -- but these programming changes dilute the value.

thanks for your input

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

WorldSpace is dead. I hear the assets are being auctioned off on Feb 16th. U-POP, and other WorldSpace channels, have likely ceased operations thus their removal.

I do not know whether Ngoma was a WorldSpace channel. Perhaps they decided to use this opportunity to save some additional money and not provide it.

XM has an Asian channel on the sats. I don't believe it has ever been provided on XMRO.

14. Ngoma is a WorldSpace channel, just to clarify.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

XM was the party that informed DirecTV of the discontinuation for it was XM's decision to drop the channels.

Another fact: all of the audio of the Worldspace channels heard on XM lives on XM's servers. XM could have continued the channels is they wanted to by taking the programming of them inside. The Worldspace channels as heard on XM were programmed specifically for XM and, with the exception of UPop, were not what was heard on Worldspace, which produced the same stations separately for the Worldspace audience.

16. IdRatherBeSkiing

I don't think anybody at XM did more than receive the feed from WorldSpace. When the feed died, the programming died. Yes they could have continued the channel but that would have cost money. Since they were internet only already, I guess they pretty much decided to save the money and not set up their own programming for these channels. But given that all WorldSpace assets are up for auction this month, I don't think there is any doubt what the root cause of the channels demise is.

17. MNXMFan

MNXMFan Member

Yes, while the audio for these channels (including sweepers, ID's, etc) was stored on XM's servers, it was Worldspace who programmed them.

All Worldspace feeds were terminated, and I believe the sats have been turned off. I think they are entering Ch 7, liquidation.

Regardless of what stage bankruptcy they are in, I feel some truth should be given here. When a company goes into bankruptcy protection, it is no longer up to them what they choose to do with the assets of the company, including company brands, programming, etc. This is left up to the court. Chapter 11 can only be filed if a planned date to exit is given. If this date is missed, then the company and creditors go back to court to ask the judge for the next step. This is typically liquidation. Once this happens, assets are auctioned off, which in this case could include brand names like UPop.

Because of this, I'm almost certain that XM was told they could no longer use the intellectual property of Worldspace, which would be the playlists, logos, and production of worldspace maintained channels.

So, while the music exists, someone from within XM would have to program it. I doubt there is interest from within XM to put money forth to do this, as they are also within inches of Ch. 11.

IdRatherBeSkiing likes this.
  18. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

If these channels were even remotely popular or profitable, I am sure XM would have substituted similar programming.

19. MNXMFan

MNXMFan Member

You mean, Sirius. XM is gone.

Sirius DID substitute other programming. BBC Radio 1 for UPop, and Area for The System. The other two WS channels were removed long ago for Canadian content.

One, like myself, would question whether Area makes a suitable replacement for The System, and BBC R1 for UPop but since music is now an afterthought (always has been with Sirius) quality lost out for quantity.

I know this opinion won't be popular here, since must of you felt Sirius to be better pre-merger, but its the one I have.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

Fixed.