XM plays commercials? WTF, really?

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I just purchased an XMP3 and I was looking at the channel line up, and I noticed their "pop" channels "Kiss" plays commercials?

WTF? I thought they were commercial free? I thought Sirius/XM Hits One was on both XM and Sirius, but it only is ONLINE for XM. This is a big bummer, as that was 4th or 5th down the line for stations I listened to. How bad are the commercials? Can I test it out before I purchase a subscription somewhere?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Kiss (21), Mix (22), Sunny/Pink (24), Rock @ Random (161) and Nashville (11) are Clear Channel stations which play commercials.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
There are about 5 channels on XM (only) side (Nashville, Pink, Rock@Random, Kiss, and Mix) that are programmed by Clear Channel. They are not controlled by Sirius/XM and have a light spot load (maybe 2 minutes an hour). They are not counted among the commercial free channels, and there are similar commercial-free channels programmed by Sirius/XM.

It's been like that for years, and the deal goes back to XM's infancy when Clear Channel was an investor. They are no longer an investor, but are still party to this programming deal.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There are about 5 channels on XM (only) side (Nashville, Pink, Rock@Random, Kiss, and Mix) that are programmed by Clear Channel. They are not controlled by Sirius/XM and have a light spot load (maybe 2 minutes an hour). They are not counted among the commercial free channels, and there are similar commercial-free channels programmed by Sirius/XM.

It's been like that for years, and the deal goes back to XM's infancy when Clear Channel was an investor. They are no longer an investor, but are still party to this programming deal.

A good chunk of XM's talk content comes from CC via this deal as well.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
They are not controlled by Sirius/XM and have a light spot load (maybe 2 minutes an hour).

Good to know. So its not like listening to regular FM, just some commercials?

They are not counted among the commercial free channels, and there are similar commercial-free channels programmed by Sirius/XM.

what would be similar to sirius hits1 (top 40) on XM that is commercial free?

How long will XM continue with the commercials? Will they ever get rid of them?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Good to know. So its not like listening to regular FM, just some commercials?

ClearChannel has the option. XM has no say.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York

20 on 20 is close to Hits 1.

The commercials will continue for as long as CC has those channels under their control. I'm not sure when that deal expires. IdRatherBeSkiing probably does...:cool:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Pop2K is another commerical-free option, but that seems to play some "older" pop hits.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Listening to 20 on 20 now, we'll see how it is

they don't offer the commercial channels online, kind of a bummer.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Listening to 20 on 20 now, we'll see how it is

they don't offer the commercial channels online, kind of a bummer.
Because XM has ZERO control over CC programming. Clear Channel would have to PAY XM to stream their channels online and we know that ain't gonna' happen.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I thought I someone had mentioned that CC would start offering their channels on all XM radios soon (all meaning including those radios that don't have a subscription).

I am surprised CC does not stream their XM channels on their iheartradio web site.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I thought I someone had mentioned that CC would start offering their channels on all XM radios soon (all meaning including those radios that don't have a subscription).

I am surprised CC does not stream their XM channels on their iheartradio web site.
Who can explain why CC do what they do?

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
Who can explain why CC do what they do?

In a nutshell, back before XM launched, clear channel invested in XM in exchange for a portion of their bandwidth. Now, when XM went commercial free around 2004, XM made the clear channel stations stop playing commercials. Then there was a court battle over if XM can mandate Clear Channel to not play commercials and the judge ruled that XM couldn't. Because of that, Clear Channel started playing commercials again so XM made copies of the station -- playing the same style of music, just without commercials. Not to mention XM grouped all the clear channel stations into "More Music" and tagged the station names with "cm" to show they have commercials.

That's the long and short of it...there's some key points i didn't cover.

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
IMHO, 20s on 20 is much better than Hits 1 :)
Posted via Mobile Device

they're almost the same channel at this point. on weekdays, the morning and nights are for the most part simulcasts of hits 1. the afternoon is different, as well as the weekend. personally, i prefer 20on20's weekend programming...Hits 1 is literally a loop of a 3 hour Top 40 countdown show followed by either Pete Wentz' show or Hitbound...repeating all the way until Monday morning.

Nov 12, 2008
In a nutshell, back before XM launched, clear channel invested in XM in exchange for a portion of their bandwidth. Now, when XM went commercial free around 2004, XM made the clear channel stations stop playing commercials. Then there was a court battle over if XM can mandate Clear Channel to not play commercials and the judge ruled that XM couldn't. Because of that, Clear Channel started playing commercials again so XM made copies of the station -- playing the same style of music, just without commercials. Not to mention XM grouped all the clear channel stations into "More Music" and tagged the station names with "cm" to show they have commercials.

That's the long and short of it...there's some key points i didn't cover.

Also Clear Channel doesn't get a cut of the subscriber money, so in order to operate those channels they have to have some sort of revenue source. And as Mr. Mays once said, Clear Channel is in the advertising business.

Clear Channel also supplies its programming to XM at no cost due to the original investment and purchase of 10% of XM's bandwidth.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, just to clarify Sirius XM doesn't have commercials on their music channels, but Clear Channel does and those channels are programmed by Clear Channel not Sirius XM as have been pointed out. In reality those channels are actually pretty decent and while they do have commercials they don't have nearly as many as regular FM channels do.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Yeah, just to clarify Sirius XM doesn't have commercials on their music channels, but Clear Channel does and those channels are programmed by Clear Channel not Sirius XM as have been pointed out. In reality those channels are actually pretty decent and while they do have commercials they don't have nearly as many as regular FM channels do.

Very well said. Here is how Clear Channel became involved with XM.

From June 8, 1999:

News Releases