XM Losing Coast to Coast AM

Discussion in 'SiriusXM News & Talk' started by Brad Bishop, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

It looks like Coast to Coast AM will be leaving XM August 31st.

I was kind of surprised by that. Coast to Coast AM is, I think, the second most listened to radio program after Rush Limbaugh. Talk Radio is one of the Clear Channel channels so I always figured it'd always be there.

I haven't seen any details as to why this is happening, though.
  2. semipenguin

semipenguin Dy-no-mite!

I loved it when Art Bell was host :)

The channel it used to be on back in 2002 - 2003 played C2C nonstop, around the clock :right:

I spent many nights listening when I started driving truck back in 1998. There was almost no 50K watt station that didn't play C2C.

One of the best parts about C2C was it started at 10pm on the West Coast :cool:
  3. microbob

microbob Active Member

XM is kicking off all of the Clear Channel stations as their lease is up. That's what I heard from Leo Laporte yesterday.
  4. goreds2

goreds2 Well, you know........

I hope that does not mean Dave Ramsey may be next. :banghead:
  5. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I liked it more with Art Bell (Dreamland) too but George Noory is good. Whenever I listen, I'm interested. It would be somewhat disappointing to lose but if it can add or improve more Sirius XM programming to the radios, it would be worthwhile.
  6. microbob

microbob Active Member

I find George Noory boring, which is good if you can't get to sleep. Noory seems bored too as He lets his guest talk too much a lot of the time. Riley Martin was on his show a few times back in the day. Art Bell was the best.
  7. microbob

microbob Active Member

I think He's safe as Ramsey syndicates his show himself and is not tied to Clear Channel.
  8. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

Heard that too- this could be the best thing that ever happened to XM. The Clear Channel contract has always held XM & SXM back in many ways. CC had some great channels back in the early 2000's, but not so much anymore. I'm sure a few subs will be disappointing to lose a few shows & channels, but it will end up being a good move in the long run. Just think of all the bandwidth that will free up! Since all the Canadian channels(in the 160-170's) got screwed into Mono with the latest channel realignment, they should all prosper greatly from this. The Verge has already said it is working on getting back to stereo.

And I think SXM will replace some of the CC channels with suitable alternatives or even bring back some channels that were canceled due to the merger- how about that concept?

Fine Tuning, X Country, Beyond Jazz, Special X, Bootlegs to name a few!
  9. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Given the first bandwidth squeeze happened when XM added 'replacement' channels to the CC channels after the arbitrator ruled in favour of CC and commercials they will probably just give the bandwidth to existing channels to make them sound better since the CC channels already have SXM replacements. That would be my hope anyways.
  10. SIRIUSaboutXM

You're from Canada and don't like the Canadian channels :confused:
  11. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I'm not sure where you are getting that I even mentioned the Canadian channels. :confused: I was talking about the Clear Channel channels which will be dropped. They already had replacements added back when XM lost the arbitration case about commercials so they won't likely get another replacement channel. They will likely give them to channels who are being squeezed for bandwidth now.

But for the record, I don't think I have every listened to any of the Canadian channels except for the CBC ones occasionally (and never over satellite). But that doesn't mean that they should sound like shit.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  12. SIRIUSaboutXM

What are these ClearCase channels you speak of??
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  13. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I think the problem with Noory is that everything everyone says is always OK. A person can call in and say, "The moon is made of ice cream.. With alien bases on the dark side, of course..," and Noory will just say, "ok...,"

Ian Punett, Georgia Napp, or John Wells (with that crazy deep voice that I had to get used to) would call them out on the ice cream bit. Not Noory. Whatever you say must be gold an who is he to question it.

I'll miss the UFO & ghost stories, though. Over the years they've been getting more political / financial /health conscious. I really just want them for UFOs and ghost stories.

Also, it works well if you play them in the night. If you record C2CAM and play it during the day it all falls apart.
  14. SIRIUSaboutXM

Important thing to keep in mind here- all Clear Channel stations that we'll be losing, are available via iHeart, which is Free to listen to on PC's, laptops as well as on tablets and smartphones through the iHeart app. So, the only thing we' ll really lose is the ability to record them.
  15. geosync

geosync Active Member

That sucks I guess. But if coast to coast isn't on an AM dial near you , you should just look to move. Will the clear channel loss affect 'extreme talk' 243??

This reminds me from last night. A caller said they listened on XM. Norry couldn't react quickly enough that of course the show was on like 4 billion affiliates across the country. Haha. Satellite hate and fear is still strong.
  16. SIRIUSaboutXM

Yes- Extreme Talk is owned by CC. Much more on this topic here: http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/xm-radios/20547-when-confirmed-date-when-cc-stations-going-away.html
  17. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

The only thing that sucks about streaming is that a good number of stations require you to use some kind of flash-based app (like iHeartRadio).

I have devices that just want a URL to stream and the app based stuff is no good. I don't mind the apps for the browser but I much prefer them to have, perhaps in addition to the app, just a straight up stream for the rest of us.
  18. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Interesting to note: I've noticed that C2CAM has had quite the uptick in UFO/Ghosts/Demon shows in the last month.

Makes me wonder if it's Art Bell's show about to start up or them being dropped by SiriusXM and trying to keep listeners via some other method.

Either way, it's far better than where they were going with nutrition nights and financial advice nights.
  19. DMD34

DMD34 New Member

XM losing coast to coast am, who cares?

XM is gaining the exclusive programming of Art Bell's Dark Matter the same type of show as C2Cam but better because Art Bell the originator and master of C2CAM is doing his own show with many of the same topics as C2CAM, it starts Monday Sept. 16th @ 10pm Eastern time. Welcome Back Art, you have been missed.
  20. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I'm looking forward to it.