XM CS cancelled the WRONG RADIO!

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I called up a few nights ago to cancel my XMP3, as I barely ever use it anymore. My account has two radios on it, the XMP3 and an Audiovox I bought my dad for christmas a year or two ago. My dad's radio is paid until Feb. I give them the radio ID right off of the screen of my XMP3, and they do the whole "i have to put you on hold while cancelling thing", they cancel it and send me on my way.

Next day I get a call from my dad asking why his radio doesn't work anymore. I call tonight on my way home from work to get a refresh signal sent, figuring that would fix it. I get online to look at my account, and that's when I notice that my dad's radio ID is gone and mine's still active! THEY CANCELLED THE WRONG FRIGGIN RADIO!:eek:

To top it off, I have no idea what his radio ID is, so I have to find time to head over to my parents' house, get his radio ID and argue with these idiots who seem to have NO idea what they're doing.

Just needed to vent, thanks :).

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
That is very irritating. And I feel for you especially dealing with someone who is elderly that desperately wants their radio to work just fine. I've had a few similar situations where those close to me have service drop and it's not fun.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
That is very irritating. And I feel for you especially dealing with someone who is elderly that desperately wants their radio to work just fine. I've had a few similar situations where those close to me have service drop and it's not fun.

I'm not sure my dad's what you'd consider "elderly", he's only in his early forties (I'm only 21), but you hit it right on. He's not much of a tech guy, so he expects it to "just work" for as long as I tell him it's going to work. He absolutely loves the service, and he's wicked frustrated because it's not working.

He's really missing his O&A and classic rock, too.:)

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I'm not sure my dad's what you'd consider "elderly", he's only in his early forties (I'm only 21), but you hit it right on. He's not much of a tech guy, so he expects it to "just work" for as long as I tell him it's going to work. He absolutely loves the service, and he's wicked frustrated because it's not working.

He's really missing his O&A and classic rock, too.:)

I'm so tired and I didn't read it right. Sorry. It's cool your Dad is so young. Do you have any physical bills from XM that might have the Radio ID?

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I'm so tired and I didn't read it right. Sorry. It's cool your Dad is so young. Do you have any physical bills from XM that might have the Radio ID?

Too late to check, plus I know if I call them again while still pissed, my anger'll get the best of me and I'll get nowhere. I'm gonna check the bills, but the phone drones seem to not get the fact that if I'm not standing right next to the radio, what they do will still work (My dad leaves it on 24/7, especially now that I told him to keep an eye out for if it starts working again.). I just hope they don't screw up YET AGAIN and start charging me monthly for his radio once I get it straightened out (though honestly I wouldn't be surprise.

Yeah, it's definitely cool having younger parents. They're not QUITE young (and tech-advanced) enough to not have to call me constantly about their computer, but it's a totally different type of relationship than what I see some of my friends having with theirs. It's almost like a close friendship.

Reactions: Aaron

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Should've stuck with SIRIUS. I hear the XM reps are a pain in the ass to deal with.

Best of luck to you, though. I hope you get your dad's satellite radio up and running. :thumbsup:

tbone

Oct 23, 2008
While I do have Sirius, that is my fear too. I need to cancel one of my radios before the 23rd and I am nervous they will cancel the wrong one. I could just see them canceling my radio, which is lifetime, instead of my brothers radio. I am sure it would mess up the whole lifetime service and best of xm.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have been very lucky. All my dealings with XM CSRs have been flawless (aside from them trying to sell me shit). I have yet to have to deal with a Sirius CSR.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Naw, I've had Sirius screw this deal up in a similar way. It's the lame ass databases they use. CR's only have access to certain information, and it the whole system seems cantankerous to say the least.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I've never had any issues with the XM Reps, but clearly this person was not paying attention. You honestly don't have to go to your dads to get the ID. Just pull up your last bill in their billing system and his radio ID will been shown there.

What I would do at this point is get them to just do a turner swap and stay away from trying to explain all that. When I recently swapped mine for my Skydock, I told them my XpressRC was broke and while they charged me the $15, they turned around and issued a credit.

It is crazy that this person was not paying attention, but shit happens!

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Should've stuck with SIRIUS. I hear the XM reps are a pain in the ass to deal with.

My dad would have NO shot at picking up a Sirius signal at his house. He's barely got a clear view to XM's birds, but he played around for a while and made it work.

Well I've never had any issues with the XM Reps, but clearly this person was not paying attention. You honestly don't have to go to your dads to get the ID. Just pull up your last bill in their billing system and his radio ID will been shown there.

For the most part, when I call them, if I don't have the radio in hand, they're not very useful. I made plans to head over there Saturday, I'll update on what happens then.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Best of luck to you, though. I hope you get your dad's satellite radio up and running. :thumbsup:

Yet I keep hearing that XM has the better radios.

...go figure, huh? You just cannot win.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yet I keep hearing that XM has the better radios.

...go figure, huh? You just cannot win.

I think for a long time XM has had better equipment than Sirius, if no other reason than they were able to do a great deal with the size of the chipset to create smaller and cooler running radios. I personally think the Inno and XpressRC tuners were and are great radios. XpressRC has the best display of any tuner Sirius has ever made and the Inno is probably still one of the most reliable portables out there when compared to Sirius S50, SL100 or SL2. Sirius did up the anti with Wifi streaming. However with XM reception in most areas was generally better and the on the fly channel changes and ability to swap channel icons on the fly is just gravy on the potatoes. I've used a lot of equipment from both sides. I was ultimately always more satisfied with XM's devices. I do think the XMP3 was probably a step backwards on the XM side, but probably would have been better if XM had remained because they would have solved the issues with it. We know Sirius just isn't worth a crap at doing that with their equipment as evident by the S50, SL100 and SL2 and their continued problems. Most have found work arounds or deal with limitations to use them and they get the job done, but it shouldn't be like that.

I don't think one idiot support person means anything in regards to equipment so your suggestion is rather baffling.

KTMCDO

Oct 15, 2008
ALBUQUERQUE NM
i called xm back in June to cancel my radio
last sunday i was cleaning the office and i turned on the xm radio
and to my shock it was still getting programming
not being charged for it

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
i called xm back in June to cancel my radio
last sunday i was cleaning the office and i turned on the xm radio
and to my shock it was still getting programming
not being charged for it

Yeah this is pretty common, but if you leave it only for a couple of hours here and there it will eventually get hit. The XM side is much more proactive in deactivating radios than the Sirius side.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sirius did up the anti with Wifi streaming. However with XM reception in most areas was generally better and the on the fly channel changes and ability to swap channel icons on the fly is just gravy on the potatoes.

Agreed.

If XM could have a portable radio with WiFi and the ability to pause and record said WiFi with ALL content streaming over WiFi (i'm already paying for it, why not?), then that would be unspeakably huge.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Agreed.

If XM could have a portable radio with WiFi and the ability to pause and record said WiFi with ALL content streaming over WiFi (i'm already paying for it, why not?), then that would be unspeakably huge.

I already got that DAWG! Its called an iPod Touch live sat radio via the Skydock and Streaming via the SXM App.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
They swapped the radio back, but because the first cancellation ate the remaining credit left on that radio (it was on a year sub) and paid my bill that month and part of this month, I'm stuck paying on the radio till December, when I re-up it as a Christmas gift.

Haven't seen my next bill yet, but I'm hoping they didn't charge me a swap fee (they didn't mention anything about it). I'm REALLY sick of calling them. AND they screwed up and put the BoS on his radio. At this point I just figured "screw it, he'll probably like having the Howard Stern channels". All in all, resolved pretty well, as I was probably gonna add BoS as a Christmas gift this yer.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
When I recently switched to my Skydock they didn't tell me about it either, but I asked. Sure enough it is an automatic charge. So, asked them to waive it and they did. She said they couldn't waive it, but could issue a credit for it. Which a supervisor had to approve. She made the request while I was on the phone and the supervisor approved it. Online is shows where I was charged and then credited. So, you'll likely get charged, unless you got a really good CSR who just did it for you without you asking since they screwed up to begin with.